Updates on a Onedrive stored document not showing

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm experiencing very strange behaviour with documents that are stored on OneDrive, with the changes made either online or on my Windows Phone not reflecting in Excel (haven't tried Word yet) on my Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10. The date modified date and time for the document in the OneDrive desktop folder shows the correct information so it has synced, but when you open the document the last version that was opened in Excel on the desktop shows. This makes me think it is some sort of cache issue, especially as if I delete the document from the OneDrive folder in Windows 10 it instantly re-appears up to date.

Hopefully that makes sense as this was a very rushed post. But basically is there anyway to delete the cache or force Excel to look for an update? Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks.

Update: It only appears to be an issue with Excel documents. I've just tested with a Word document that I originally created on my Surface, modified on Word online and the changes came through fine when I re-opened the document on the desktop.

Last edited:

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I had the same, indeed only with excel.

I removed (unchecked) the documents folder from synching, and added it again.
It seems to work fine now, but I need to test some more.

It looks as if you modify an excel file on a pc, and drag and drop it into onedrive, to replace the old one, it goes wrong.
If you are in onedrive web interface, and right mouse button "open file in excel" it gets messed up....

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Urgh didn't work. When I setup the sync again the updated version was synced to the newest version in the OneDrive desktop app. But as soon as I make a change using Excel online it just doesn't seem to update the original.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Just did a test.
Made an Excel file on my surface, with 1 cell filled with some text.
Saved it to onedrive, and opened it on my windows phone, changed it, and saved it again.
You can then see the onedrive icon on the surface see "syncing" but if you open the file, it indeed is not updated.

If you do the same with Word, it does work correct.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes