10-15-2016 03:45 PM
84 1234
tools
    I've tried a few things. Keep in mind, I installed this in 2 machines for testing. One in RTM WIndows 10 (retail upgrade version, NOT in Preview program) and a VM of the same (VM workstation 12).

The WIndows 10 machine has the hosts file pointed to..
    65.55.5.170 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
    2.16.216.176 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

The VM was running on the desktop of Windows 10, but, I rebooted the computer and opened the same VM under WIndows 7, This Windows 7 machine uses Windows Media Center and pulls guide data down fine, so there should be No proxy based issues as it's using NAT.

As others have reported this issue, I tried to repo it on a VM, so this Installer was created from Windows 10 build 10134, so I built a 10134 VM with WMC (the hack to modify the ISO) and this caused the same exact result. I went back even earlier, and installed 10074, SAME ISSUE. Then today I tried 9901 but, it would not let me even install it (OS expired).

Trust me, I have been watching log files and the Even viewer almost every hour and I have run TV setup at least 30 times in the last 3 days...AT LEAST.

I think the test here is to see if we can yank from 7 or 8.1, and pull the WMC WIM from the iso and try to install that version. I think I have gone through what I could here. If it was the installer issue, building a fresh 10134 VM would of worked pulled down the guide fine. This is not the case.

So, in a nutshell, its something in a change done on Windows 10 that is causing this issue. It's possible that pulling it from Windows 7 or 8.1 still might not work. Or we could get lucky, I just wish I knew Media Center on the programming level to understand EXACTLY how the guide comes down and how it's processed, to really figure out where it's dying off. 6-8 years ago it might of been easier to find, today, not so much.

If all else fails, we can hack in guide data but, this costs a fee, and I think this might be the point I stop but, there has to be away around it.
    Hmm, how about o/s masking?

If it works fine on 7, 8 and 8.1 perhaps masking 10 to appear like it was connecting as a "supported" version. Then again you've probably tried that :).

Not that knowledgeable on the programming side either so can't help you there lol.

The only other think I can think of there might be an authentication "key" or a reg key similar to the entry for device meta data {DeviceMetadataServiceURL} that might need to be either added / enabled / tweaked. I do know there is reg entry {Microsoft-Media-Foundation-WOW64-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-GB~10.0.10240.16384} with a dword value of 2 - probably bound to be others buried somewhere under some obscure heading. Had a quick glance through the reg when I was trying to fix a intel GMA issue, so copied that into a text file as I'm looking to run a WMC box when I cut my sky sub - not sure if that helps.

LOL, thanks, Trust me, I have not even started yet. If it is possible, it will work. I use WMC every day, and not ready to move on as nothing else really seems to give the ease of use here.

Don't worry, I will only give up when I have completely run out of resources for help and we are not there yet.

Anyone on here who has a very deep knowledge of Windows Media Center's subsystem want to help out a little ? :)
    Haha, go for it.

Might tinker with WMC myself but not sure how much help I'd be as I don't reside in the US thus not needing to access MS servers lol.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    09-10-2015 08:22 AM
    Haha, go for it.

Might tinker with WMC myself but not sure how much help I'd be as I don't reside in the US thus not needing to access MS servers lol.
    Try it now, new updated file (few posts back) guide works now :) Even if you were having problems over the "pond" it claims to be fixed now/

Only issue I am having is the font is screwed up, but, I think it's my machine....

wmc.jpg

I suppose plugins like Arcsoft TMT work fine as well?
    They should but, you might have to set compatibity for Windows 7 or 8....but, as it's a Blu-ray player, drivers, DRM, etc, could have other problems (and that would be a 10 issue, nothing to do with WMC). If you have a problem try installing ANYDVD-HD trial to see if that fixes it..

Each WMC program will have to be tested one by one to know for sure but, remember the compatbity setttings.

WMC is installed on here just like on 7 or 8, In fact the same scripts that install it on 8 or even 7 are used for this install (registry, file loctaions, etc) just a few files are modified to by pass a check before re-compressed.

SO, It SHOULD all work, SHOULD.

Is anyone having an issue with that 32bit link? I downloaded without installing their software initially. It goes through to 99% downloading, sticks at that for a around 20 seconds, then completes, but can't see the download ?...
    I dont have x86 machines on my network any more, so not sure, I am sure someone else could help here..
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 09-10-2015 at 08:55 AM.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    09-10-2015 08:40 AM
    Try it now, new updated file (few posts back) guide works now :) Even if you were having problems over the "pond" it claims to be fixed now/

Only issue I am having is the font is screwed up, but, I think it's my machine....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WMC.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	111965
    Sweet, was just about go trawling through the reg as just finished typing an essay of a post on another thread... oops .

Downloading now :).

Edit: Installed, but got to head out. Will check it out later.
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 09-10-2015 at 10:37 AM.
    09-10-2015 10:01 AM
    Tested, confirmed working, for cablecard users too ! Guide data working fine now....
    Fantastic! Well done, and thank you, DavidinCT.

DavidinCT likes this.
    09-10-2015 01:12 PM
    guide still does not work on V2
    It gets stuck downloading setup info. Does anyone have success here in the US?
    09-10-2015 01:20 PM
    So, I've installed it (downloaded from here: Download WindowsMediaCenter 6.3.9600.0 x64 v2.zip) and can't find it anywhere. Looked in the Start menu All apps, and in the Program Files directory tree.

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick!
    09-10-2015 01:22 PM
    So, I've installed it (downloaded from here: Download WindowsMediaCenter 6.3.9600.0 x64 v2.zip) and can't find it anywhere. Looked in the Start menu All apps, and in the Program Files directory tree.
    I simply typed "Media Center" into the Cortana search box then pinned WMC to the task bar for future use.
    I'm sitting at a Windows 7 computer right now, but I think the path to the actual program is the same: C:\Windows\ehome\eshell.exe.
    09-10-2015 04:00 PM
    I simply typed "Media Center" into the Cortana search box then pinned WMC to the task bar for future use.
    I'm sitting at a Windows 7 computer right now, but I think the path to the actual program is the same: C:\Windows\ehome\eshell.exe.
    Ah hah! Thank you. All sorted and looking good.
    09-10-2015 06:45 PM
    does the guide work for you?
    09-10-2015 07:05 PM

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick!
    Go into your start menu > Windows Accessories> and there is WMC....

If you go to the site, they created a v3 version of this that puts a shortcut on the desktop and quick launch... I think it's too much.

does the guide work for you?
    If you downloaded the NEWEST version I posted and the guide is not working, treat it as a normal guide issue

I would add this to your hosts file (below 127.0.0.1)

65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
    72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

It normally fixes this problem, then re-run setup...
    09-10-2015 07:15 PM
    hi guys
    downloaded the V2 today
    followed instructions - ran the unistaller to get rid of previous stuff. everything else went as plan. still the guide download error message
    just added the 2 entries to the hosts file and tried again still get download error
    09-10-2015 08:32 PM
    HUGE thanks to all those that contributed to making this possible!
    09-11-2015 08:49 AM
    I upgraded from Win 7 Pro X 64 to Win 10 Pro. I downloaded the file listed above, unzipped it, and followed instructions and when the installer finished went to Windows/ehome but there is no 'eshell;.exe.
    What did I do wrong??
    09-11-2015 03:11 PM
    There is still issues, there is now a v5 update setup.
    x64
    http://www.datafilehost.com/d/1e6851ab

Known issues right now.
    1. Cablecard DRM content will not play, so if you have a channel that is DRM protected, it will not play at this point.
    2. Extenders are not working, I have personally not tried to trouble shoot it but, other say it's not working.

It's still a work in progress. If your running a version with the guide working, then stick with it till there is a major fix that will effect you.

If your getting the display error when starting live TV in a wIndow, Install the WIndows DVD player and it has been known to fix it (here's how to install it for free). I have personally done this and it has fixed the problem.

https://matthill.eu/tutorials/instal...vd-player-free

More news and updates as I know more...
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 09-12-2015 at 03:10 PM.
    09-12-2015 10:59 AM
    Still cant play DRM channels or content...This is what I will see if I am using the Windows DVD player...

error.jpg
    09-13-2015 12:58 PM
    Interesting find today.... As for DRM protected cablecard channels. So, I removed all codecs, so I was getting a Display error that drivers were not installed in WMC (running WindowsMediaCenter_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v5) when trying to play live TV. Something MOST of us have been dealing with.

and I ran a sfc /scannow

After it saying it fixed some files and a reboot. My 1 protected channel is playing back WITHOUT getting a protected content error, the ONLY problem is that It's claiming weak signal and it will play then break up... or go to No signal. It's hardly watchable but, it's a step in the right direction....One time opening it, it said it needed a PlayReady update (that failed) but, by closing WMC and opening it, it played back.

It appears this might of addressed the DRM issue but, there is something else going on why it's losing signal on these channels, the system is a fairly new i7 5820 with 16gb DDR4 OC memory running on a 500gb SSD and the video is a gtx970 OC. It's not system performance. No problems like this on ANY other channel.

This even happened when I installed the Windows 10 DVD player....SO, if you have that only installed, it might be fine with it..

I hope this is a step in the right direction, wondering if this works for anyone else....(again, I was just watching it, and after 1 min it started breaking up and went to no signal, so not really usable).

If you use cablecard, and you have the WIndows 10 DVD player installed, Try to run a SFC /Scannow from an admin control prompt and see if this effects you any bit and reply...
    Laura Knotek and Kevin Rush like this.
    09-13-2015 04:27 PM
    I used the versions 5 installer Saturday. I followed the workaround included in the zip file and still cannot get any guide data (central United States). The thread at the My Digital Life forums moves so fast that I didn't get any help posting there. Following the workaround, I'm still not sure if the information I added in the host file is in the correct format.
    09-14-2015 09:12 AM
    Me either. I can't get the TV setup data to download. And they say that WMC will mot wake up to record in V5 but its fixed in V6.
    There is now a version 6 installer on their forums.
    09-14-2015 10:31 AM
    Can any put the x64 version on Mega lol.

The link for the x64 contains a rather annoying and persistent pop up, I downloaded it using TOR. Anyone else might not be willing to go through the hassle of downloading and installing Tor.

annoying-popup.png

And I did manage to get guide working intermittently (see edit) but hadn't worked since, thought I'd have alook here for progress and it looks like a lot has been made. Sweet, thanks for the updates David :).

Edit: to clarify, I was referring to the build dated 10th Sept (thereabouts).
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 09-15-2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.
    09-15-2015 05:04 AM
    I give up. I restored Win 7 as I could never get this workaround to work. First I could not get WMC to download TV setup data with V5 . So I uninstalled it and installed v6 and WMC would not recognize my TV card so I reinstalled the drivers and then WMC tells me that I need to run Digital Cable Advisor as my graphic card is not good enough to run WMC which is strange since it worked for years in Windows 7. I try to install DCA and it says its already installed but it won't run saying it needs to be installed. So after 4 days struggling to get it to work I gave up and restored a Win 7 image. I will try again if the kinks finally get worked out.

Thanks to you all for your help.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-15-2015 05:51 PM
    Okay, this is how I got the WMC to download guide data via virtual DB-S Tuners.
    1)Installed PlayReady
    Play Ready Runtime 1.3.10 x64
    Play Ready Runtime 1.3.10 x86

These two steps could be optional for some but I couldn't get it download anything without the PBDAIPSim Test Tool.

2) Installed Dot Net framework 3.5 SP1 (This was requested download by the PBDAIPSim Test Tool) didn't have much luck with latest version for some reason. Dot Net Framework

3) From TeamMedia Portal - I found this from a link someone posted on their forum :).
    The software simulates a DVB-IP tuner that supports the new PBDA (protected broadcast driver architecture) API. Apparently it can stream files from your hard disc drive as if they had come from a real DVB-X tuner. Having this software makes it easier to develop and test software that supports DVB-X tuners because you don't have to have a real tuner.
    PBDAIPSim Test Tool

4) DVBlinkfor IPTV (download version 2.1 as the last two versions are dead links) note these are trial versions. Once I find freeware software that works I'll update this post.

DVBLink for IPTV. Install the DVBlinkserver.msi first than the DVBlinkforIPTV.msi.

5) Install WMC / Run TV Setup again.

Here I'm stuck, I can customise the virtual tuners, dual oscillation settings (customisable), finds the satellites, full signal, goes every step without a hitch but no image.

If your getting a video failed to decode message, install K-lite's codec pack that remove the error and got sound on some channels but no image.
    Download K-Lite Codec Pack 11.40 (Full) - FileHippo.com

I hope this helps :).
    09-15-2015 11:23 PM
    Okay, this is how I got the WMC (latest version posted on this thread) to download guide data via virtual DB-S Tuners.
    1)Installed PlayReady
    Play Ready Runtime 1.3.10 x64
    Play Ready Runtime 1.3.10 x86

These two steps could be optional for some but I couldn't get it download anything without the PBDAIPSim Test Tool.

2) Installed Dot Net framework 3.5 SP1 (This was requested download by the PBDAIPSim Test Tool) didn't have much luck with latest version for some reason. Dot Net Framework

3) From TeamMedia Portal - I found this from a link someone posted on their forum :).
    The software simulates a DVB-IP tuner that supports the new PBDA (protected broadcast driver architecture) API. Apparently it can stream files from your hard disc drive as if they had come from a real DVB-X tuner. Having this software makes it easier to develop and test software that supports DVB-X tuners because you don't have to have a real tuner.
    PBDAIPSim Test Tool

4) DVBlinkfor IPTV (download version 2.1 as the last two versions are dead links) note these are trial versions. Once I find freeware software that works I'll update this post.

http://www.sat4fun.co.uk/showthread....BLink-for-IPTV. Install the DVBlinkserver.msi first than the DVBlinkforIPTV.msi.

5) Install WMC / Run TV Setup again.

Here I'm stuck, I can customise the virtual tuners, dual oscillation settings (customisable), finds the satellites, full signal, goes every step without a hitch but no image.

If your getting a video failed to decode message, install K-lite's codec pack that remove the error and got sound on some channels but no image.
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/

I hope this helps :).
    09-15-2015 11:24 PM
    OK for people following this thread, we have a lot of people looking into protected channels on Cablecard. So far in v6, guide is working fine. So what I am telling you, if your having a problem, look up WMC guide issues, It could be as simple as adding something to your hosts file, or other things, Thegreenbutton.tv is a great place to look, I would keep under the WIndows 8.1 area because v5 and v6 of the installer is based and ripped from 8.1.

If you have a cablecard with DRM protected channels, you know what I am talking about, they DO NOT work on this Windows 10 install, I have tested DRM on my Windows 10 machine, that is working fine, there is a disconnect between DRM/Playready/WMC that we need to figure out. Also, if you needed to install a 3rd party codec (shark, klite, etc) to get live tv working, You will never be able to get DRM'ed content (TV working in WMC)

There is a protected path that these DRM shows need to follow to play back recorded TV.... we have started some discussion about that here on TGB.... and the main thread on MDL has some tidbits on it here and there...

View topic - WMC on Windows 10: Protected channels go to No-Signal

My end goal here is to get WMC working EXACTLY as it does on WIndows 7 or 8.1 but, on Windows 10... if it's possible...
    09-17-2015 04:43 PM
    I tried v7 of the installer over the weekend and still cannot get guide data even after making the appropriate edits to the hosts file. I still get an error during the initial TV setup in WMC that says something about the TV configuration data cannot be downloaded. I will at some point start over with a clean Windows 10 install. I'm not sure if that will help, but I feel like the left-over WMC configuration from my Windows 8.1 upgrade might be interfering with the WMC install on Windows 10.
    09-28-2015 01:07 PM
    First of all, this is amazing stuff. Thanks to everyone involved! Wondering what the status is of extender support with this hack? I pretty much only us MCE via XBox 360 extenders. Does that work in the latest version?
    10-24-2015 09:34 PM
84 1234