Hi

Over the weekend, I carried out the free upgrade to Windows 10, followed by a clean install. This was on a laptop with the manufacturers OEM licence, and it all worked fine, with Windows 10 being activated correctly after the clean install.

I plan on carrying this out on one of my PCs (which has a Technet licence), but also want to change the Hard drive for a SSD after the initial upgrade but before the clean install. All other hardware will remain the same.

I have heard that the licence is tied to the motherboard, but my concern is that due to the hardware change, will Windows 10 automatically activate after the clean install ?

Thanks
    10-19-2015 06:32 AM
    Hi

Over the weekend, I carried out the free upgrade to Windows 10, followed by a clean install. This was on a laptop with the manufacturers OEM licence, and it all worked fine, with Windows 10 being activated correctly after the clean install.

I plan on carrying this out on one of my PC’s (which has a Technet licence), but also want to change the Hard drive for a SSD after the initial upgrade but before the clean install. All other hardware will remain the same.

I have heard that the licence is tied to the motherboard, but my concern is that due to the hardware change, will Windows 10 automatically activate after the clean install ?

Thanks
    I did this -- upgrade, add SSD and clean install.

Went fine -- YMMV!!
    10-19-2015 10:46 AM