New Surface dock, external display issue when waking SP3. Has anyone else experienced this?

queentut16

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
new surface dock, external display issue when waking sp3

I got the new surface dock to use with my SP3. The behavior of my monitor with the dock is very different than if plugged directly into the surface, in particular when hibernating & waking. The monitor isn't detected soon enough in the wake cycle, so all my windows get all screwed up (some programs crash) upon wake. This is the same behavior I get if I use Sleep instead of hibernate with my external display connected directly to the surface (apparently the w10 graphics drivers are the culprit, no luck getting meaningful answers from support).

Anyone else seeing this behavior? If there's no work around, the dock is going to have to go back which ... sucks. I like not messing with all the cables all the time.

William Westfall

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: new surface dock, external display issue when waking sp3

For my SP3, the external monitor will not work when plugged through the new dock, at all. When I plug the monitor directly to the SP3 without setting anything differently on the monitor, it works. When I plug it through the dock, it flashes a message very quickly on the monitor about setting the resolution to what it is already set at. Is this an issue with the new dock or a driver problem? I am using a mini display cable to a DVI monitor port.

queentut16

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: new surface dock, external display issue when waking sp3

I had somewhat hit or miss results with different cables. Initially tried mini dp to display port and that was a mess (streaking on display) even though I'd successfully used the cable elsewhere. I've had best results using HDMI to mini dp or HDMI w/ an mini dp adaptor.

I'm having an additional issue with the dock in that it seems to be waking up my computer from a hibernate state .. randomly? I can't figure out the trigger & SleepStudy isn't informative for hibernate.

I'll give the dock another few days while I try to sort out if there's any feasible fixes to my issues, but that seems unlikely. Damn shame though. If this thing worked how it should it'd be brilliant (which is my feeling on many of Microsoft's offerings....)

Gregory Tripp

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I have 3 of the new docks, tried with 4 different SP3s, 8.1 and 10, different cable/monitor configurations. I can get 1 monitor to work fine - however on wake up it always has issues like what you described. My problem is these docks have 2 MDPs... so two monitors should work, but they don't. ever.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos