[Q] iso

bitan00

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I have genuine activated Windows 8.1. I haven't updated my device that much due to slow and limited data connection... So if dl Windows 10 iso and upgrade it by bootable usb (Without updating via Windows update), will I get genuine activated Windows 10?

Plz help

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes.

If you get the 10240 ISO, you'll need to mount it and do an upgrade first before attempting a clean install.
If you get the 10586 ISO, you can do a clean install and provide your existing product key.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Where can I find my product key? Is product id and product key same?

Just put the ISO inside Windows 8.1 or Mediacreationtool and tell it you will upgrade windows. it will be activated for you automatically, then if you want to clean install you can choose to use the reset function built-in, or you can use the ISO format the drive or install it over it and Windows will make a "windows.old" folder so you can get the files. just like other versions of windows.

But I think if it's easier just to put the USB and tell Windows you will upgrade, once windows 10 says you are activated, it shouldn't ask for anything else unless you modify your hardware like changing motherboard.

if you want to still retrieve the serial, just in case, since you can use it directly on TH2
you can try something like:
ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server

bitan00

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Ok.. If I upgrade via bootable usb (not clean install) then will it ask for product key or anything?

LuxZg

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
So process should be following for the Windows before "Fall update":
- download ISO or create USB with Media Creation Tool
- run setup from inside Windows which will start in-place upgrade
- once you upgrade "in-place" and connect to net, your Windows 10 will be activated using underlying Win 8.1 key, you don't hve to do anything, but you can check in "System" at the bottom if it's activated
- once everything is activated you can format your HDD, do clean install, or do a refresh/reset of the Win10 installation

.Now, AFTER the "Fall update" it was said that if you create NEW bootable image (ISO/USB) using Media Creation tool, and boot from DVD/USB, you'll be asked a key and you can than directly enter the key of Windows 7/8/8.1/10 whichever you have, as long as it's same edition (Home -> Home, Pro/Professional -> Pro etc). Thing is, I've just read that Fall update was pulled and unsure if it was returned, and I'm not sure which version of Win 10 Media Creation tool currently creates :-( And I haven't tested this procedure yet. So if you're in no hurry you can wait a bit to make sure Microsoft updates all tools from build 1024 (RTM) to build 10586 or newer (Fall update 2015/11, version 1511, or newer).

I'd post a few links but you'll have to Google yourself, I'm still "limited account" here so can't post links :p

EDIT: oh, and if you don't have license sticker on your laptop/PC, you can extract key with one of many key retrievers, again, you'll need to google for it, sorry :/ but Magic Key was one and Nur soft has one as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes