App Problems [Or Anomalies??] on W10M

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
So after a few weeks of using W10M build 10586.36 on my 830, I've found a few problems, or anomalies, regarding the apps I'm using on this new OS.

1) Live-Tiles not updating automatically; specifically on apps that are originally from WP8.1. Is this an issue due to the coding of the WP8.1 app not being compatible with W10M yet? This is noticeable on the Windows Central App and MangaBlaze. But the funny thing is, the Converge app that I use (which I know is from the WP8.1 store, and I'm pretty sure has not been updated to support W10M) works perfectly fine! So, is this just an app-specific issue, or what?

2) Facebook Beta contact NEVER finishes syncing. No matter what I do, the app will never sync my facebook contacts successfully, as in it will stop and give out an error mid-way through the syncing progress. I've made sure that my WiFi is stable throughout the process, so I'm pretty sure that the problem arises from the app itself and not due to my phone's connection to the internet. I haven't tried re-installing the app though, but before doing that, does anyone know how to solve this problem with the app? And yes, I know it's a BETA app. Was just wondering if anyone knows of a fix for this.

3) Also, I've noticed that apps from WP8.1 launches much, much slower than W10M apps. Like 4-6 seconds on the splash-screen. Is this normal due to the app's origin from WP8.1, or is it because of my phone's hardware? Btw, all the W10M apps like the new MSN News/Weather, Outlook Mail/Calendar, or Groove Music app launches REALLY fast.

Also, does anyone else encounter the problems above? Or am I the only one? :unhappysweat:

P/S: There is nothing wrong with W10M for me.. All of my questions above are regarding the APPS not the OS.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

1) 8.1 apps on W10M are buggy. They might work fine, but it's more like lottery. I've had W10M on my 930 and I remember that 8.1 apps were performing poorly. FB Messenger, NextGen Reader, WindowsCentral to name few...

2) Everything was fine about two months ago. (I'm on 8.1 currently, so I can't tell you)

3) Same (poor) experience ;)

4) You're not alone. I won't upgrade to W10M anytime soon - I get used to missing apps, but main apps such as Facebook Messenger & Facebook (+ many other apps) are not ready for W10M and thats worrying. Twitter, Facebook, Messenger, Instagram - all were said to be coming as universal apps to Windows 10 SOON... We've got Twitter on PC only, separate Facebook Beta by Facebook Inc. for PC and Facebook Beta by Microsoft Corporation for Mobile. Not to mention that both Facebook apps are **** :D

Manmikey

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
1. W10M Live tiles are unreliable too for me compared to W8.1 , many live tiles never update (or only update when you open the app) wunderlist, cortana, some sports apps I use, windows central, an agenda live tile I use etc. If live tiles don't work then the there seems little point in persevering with W10M for the moment.

2. I don't use face book so can't comment

3. I don't find any apps fast to load.......I get far too many "loading.....or resuming" pauses.

4. I do find it reliable tho, my 640 never freezes, crashes or resets and the battery life remains as good as 8.1

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

1) 8.1 apps on W10M are buggy. They might work fine, but it's more like lottery. I've had W10M on my 930 and I remember that 8.1 apps were performing poorly. FB Messenger, NextGen Reader, WindowsCentral to name few...

2) Everything was fine about two months ago. (I'm on 8.1 currently, so I can't tell you)

3) Same (poor) experience ;)

4) You're not alone. I won't upgrade to W10M anytime soon - I get used to missing apps, but main apps such as Facebook Messenger & Facebook (+ many other apps) are not ready for W10M and thats worrying. Twitter, Facebook, Messenger, Instagram - all were said to be coming as universal apps to Windows 10 SOON... We've got Twitter on PC only, separate Facebook Beta by Facebook Inc. for PC and Facebook Beta by Microsoft Corporation for Mobile. Not to mention that both Facebook apps are **** :D

Thanks for your reply! Hurm, for me the only problems that I face when using WP8.1 apps on W10M is the live tile not updating and the slow launch of the apps. Other than that, the apps seems to work just fine, like FB Messenger and WCentral. So, may I ask what did you meant by "8.1 apps were performing poorly"? Like, did it crash a lot on you, notifications not working, etc? Just curious though :) .

And for Facebook Beta, it is WAAAY better than the one you've used a few months prior (I believe so since you mentioned you last used W10M months ago). It's really fast now, and you have "new" features like threaded reply to comments on a post ("new" for WP, old for other OSes *sigh*). Also, by fast, I meant that the app is faster when you resume it when switching from another app (not force-closing it through task view). Of course, launching the app fresh would result in a 3-4 second wait before the app properly launches and loads your newsfeed.

IMO W10M is much better now compared to when you last used it. I went ahead and updated to 10586.36 about a few weeks ago on my daily driver, and only phone that I have. Safe to say, there's no major issues so far. But then again, it's already Jan. 2016, and the update will be compulsory soon for all eligible WP8.1 devices. So I'd say, do enjoy your days on WP8.1 while it lasts.

To me, coming from a WP8 on my old and broken Lumia 620, WP8.1 was a decent upgrade, and W10M is really a step forward. Just needs more polishing, I guess.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
1. W10M Live tiles are unreliable too for me compared to W8.1 , many live tiles never update (or only update when you open the app) wunderlist, cortana, some sports apps I use, windows central, an agenda live tile I use etc. If live tiles don't work then the there seems little point in persevering with W10M for the moment.

2. I don't use face book so can't comment

3. I don't find any apps fast to load.......I get far too many "loading.....or resuming" pauses.

4. I do find it reliable tho, my 640 never freezes, crashes or resets and the battery life remains as good as 8.1

Hey thanks for your reply! Agreed. The performance of the OS on my 830 is somewhat similar, if not better than WP8.1. Battery life is a bit better as well.

Btw, regarding the "sports app" that you use, is OneFootball one of them? Just curious because I am using that app now, and I realize that they actually made a W10M compatible app, like the interface is much better and the overall performance of the app on W10M is phenomenal. But the funny thing is that this app, which I guess has been tailor-made for W10M with all the new UI and whatnot, actually faces the same problem as my other WP8.1 app: Live Tiles not refreshing. But it's not really that the Live Tile is not refreshed. Only the same picture from the same article gets stuck there, while the info displayed are of the new articles. So it is a bit weird though :D

Btw, about W10M not worth using when Live Tile is not functioning well, is not really a problem for me since W10M brings much subtle yet appreciated features/functions over WP8.1 like the Mobile Data toggle on Action Centre, the ability to add more tiles to the home screen, the transparency settings, the organized settings, the one-handed feature of the OS (press and hold the Windows button to pull down the screen), actionable notifications. These things really do compensate for the Live Tiles problem that I'm facing, and so far I'm loving the experience on W10M :D.

But as most other people posts on this forums, W10M could do with a bit more polishing and stability fixes (not that mine crashed or random reboots never occured to me).

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I meant that apps were launching slowly, live-tiles were not working fine for some apps and there were random crashes + visual bugs such as broken loading screens.

That's good to hear that Facebook app is now better. Now waiting for Twitter, Messenger and others to follow. ;)

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I meant that apps were launching slowly, live-tiles were not working fine for some apps and there were random crashes + visual bugs such as broken loading screens.

That's good to hear that Facebook app is now better. Now waiting for Twitter, Messenger and others to follow. ;)

Ah I see. Well so far I've never faced any broken loading screens. The only visual bugs that I see is when my phone's display goes off for a second and comes back on immediately, and this happens at random, and even when I'm using W10M apps like MSN News/Weather. Not a major deal-breaker though. It's simply like the screen was turned off then comes back on without disturbing anything that you were doing before the screen off happened.

And yeah, since the W10M update is around the corner, most probably those apps will be coming soon as well *fingers crossed*

Manmikey

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Btw, regarding the "sports app" that you use, is OneFootball one of them? Just curious because I am using that app now, and I realize that they actually made a W10M compatible app, like the interface is much better and the overall performance of the app on W10M is phenomenal. But the funny thing is that this app, which I guess has been tailor-made for W10M with all the new UI and whatnot, actually faces the same problem as my other WP8.1 app: Live Tiles not refreshing. But it's not really that the Live Tile is not refreshed. Only the same picture from the same article gets stuck there, while the info displayed are of the new articles. So it is a bit weird though :D

Btw, about W10M not worth using when Live Tile is not functioning well, is not really a problem for me since W10M brings much subtle yet appreciated features/functions over WP8.1 like the Mobile Data toggle on Action Centre, the ability to add more tiles to the home screen, the transparency settings, the organized settings, the one-handed feature of the OS (press and hold the Windows button to pull down the screen), actionable notifications. These things really do compensate for the Live Tiles problem that I'm facing, and so far I'm loving the experience on W10M :D.

Yes I am using OneFootball, it's a great app and the push notifications are the best I've ever used on any device but the livetiles are just static images, no text, scores or flipping and it takes ages to load.
I also use Fotmob to but it's a long way behind the excellent android version with missing features and again the live tile is static.
I also use the microsoft sports app who's livetile does work but not with any information that is useful to me!
I find my self having to switch between apps to get the info I need, on android I only ever needed to use Fotmob.

I agree about how much better 10 is over 8.1 but without lots of working useful livetiles I may as well use an android with widgets and have access to many more apps and apps with fuller features, this is my dilemma at the moment, I can't bring my self to spent ?419 on a 950 when the OS and apps are still feeling so underdeveloped, I may use an android again for 6 months and then have another look an W10M later this year

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I've seen Lumia 830 users complaining about that. Might be a device-specific issue. Firmware update will fix it I guess. ;)

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes I am using OneFootball, it's a great app and the push notifications are the best I've ever used on any device but the livetiles are just static images, no text, scores or flipping and it takes ages to load.
I also use Fotmob to but it's a long way behind the excellent android version with missing features and again the live tile is static.
I also use the microsoft sports app who's livetile does work but not with any information that is useful to me!
I find my self having to switch between apps to get the info I need, on android I only ever needed to use Fotmob.

I agree about how much better 10 is over 8.1 but without lots of working useful livetiles I may as well use an android with widgets and have access to many more apps and apps with fuller features, this is my dilemma at the moment, I can't bring my self to spent ?419 on a 950 when the OS and apps are still feeling so underdeveloped, I may use an android again for 6 months and then have another look an W10M later this year

That is a wise choice. Six months is enough time to see if things get better.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

Static Live Tiles? Hurm, that's weird. Mine is not exactly 'static', in a sense that it does not update at all. The thing is, the live tile shows a photo from an old article, but when it flips, the information shown are from the new articles. So yeah, it's technically working on mine, just weirdly though.
But recently I've realized that the photos does get updated, and it randomly happens. So sometimes the same photo might be stuck there for a few days, or weeks, or even hours. Totally random lmao!

But I agree. As it is, W10M is not exactly a finished OS since it is only OFFICIALLY released on TWO PHONES. I guess that once the W10M update rolls out to WP8.1 phones, the mass adoption of the new OS would force app devs to tweak their WP8.1 apps so that they would work flawlessly on W10M. I say 'tweak' and not rebuild their apps from scratch because I know some of the apps from WP8.1 actually works well on W10M i.e. Converge.

So at the mean time, if you want to try using Android for a few months to allow W10M to mature, I would say go for it lol. And hopefully, you'll come back to W10M hahaha.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I've seen Lumia 830 users complaining about that. Might be a device-specific issue. Firmware update will fix it I guess. ;)

Reaallyyy? I've never seen any of them complaining about that though. Hurmm.. I'll try to find them if I can, but if you have the links to those complaints, could you provide it here? :D

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
The Facebook app is just hateful. The version on 8.1 isn't brilliant but at least it works this is just horrendous. Doesn't sync contacts, doesn't display cover pic, doesn't do anything really, notifications? When it feels like it on some days. How this has actually made it to launch is beyond me, why would you put this pathetic user experience into the hands of your Windows 10 customers. Why?! Feel like I am being poked in the eyes every time I open it. Terrible, just terrible.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
The Facebook app is just hateful. The version on 8.1 isn't brilliant but at least it works this is just horrendous. Doesn't sync contacts, doesn't display cover pic, doesn't do anything really, notifications? When it feels like it on some days. How this has actually made it to launch is beyond me, why would you put this pathetic user experience into the hands of your Windows 10 customers. Why?! Feel like I am being poked in the eyes every time I open it. Terrible, just terrible.

Are you using the main FB app or the Facebook Beta app?

IMO, the Beta app is sooo much better than the original app as it's really designed for W10M. Great performance too!

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
So after a few weeks of using W10M build 10586.36 on my 830, I've found a few problems, or anomalies, regarding the apps I'm using on this new OS.

1) Live-Tiles not updating automatically; specifically on apps that are originally from WP8.1. Is this an issue due to the coding of the WP8.1 app not being compatible with W10M yet? This is noticeable on the Windows Central App and MangaBlaze. But the funny thing is, the Converge app that I use (which I know is from the WP8.1 store, and I'm pretty sure has not been updated to support W10M) works perfectly fine! So, is this just an app-specific issue, or what?

2) Facebook Beta contact NEVER finishes syncing. No matter what I do, the app will never sync my facebook contacts successfully, as in it will stop and give out an error mid-way through the syncing progress. I've made sure that my WiFi is stable throughout the process, so I'm pretty sure that the problem arises from the app itself and not due to my phone's connection to the internet. I haven't tried re-installing the app though, but before doing that, does anyone know how to solve this problem with the app? And yes, I know it's a BETA app. Was just wondering if anyone knows of a fix for this.

3) Also, I've noticed that apps from WP8.1 launches much, much slower than W10M apps. Like 4-6 seconds on the splash-screen. Is this normal due to the app's origin from WP8.1, or is it because of my phone's hardware? Btw, all the W10M apps like the new MSN News/Weather, Outlook Mail/Calendar, or Groove Music app launches REALLY fast.

Also, does anyone else encounter the problems above? Or am I the only one? :unhappysweat:

P/S: There is nothing wrong with W10M for me.. All of my questions above are regarding the APPS not the OS.

If you are upgrading from 8.1 and if you have not hard reset before upgrading, your 8.1 apps will be optimized for running on 8.1. Therefore they will carry over the same process to WM10.

I recommend you reinstall after a hard reset. All your apps will work better and also your phone will work better. Below is the thread with the process to install WM10 with a hard reset.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...nstall-windows-10-mobile-insider-preview.html

Hope this helps.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
If you are upgrading from 8.1 and if you have not hard reset before upgrading, your 8.1 apps will be optimized for running on 8.1. Therefore they will carry over the same process to WM10.

I recommend you reinstall after a hard reset. All your apps will work better and also your phone will work better. Below is the thread with the process to install WM10 with a hard reset.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...nstall-windows-10-mobile-insider-preview.html

Hope this helps.

I've actually did a hard reset. But I'm not sure though. What I did was:

1) WP8.1, updated to W10M. Got build 10586.29.
2) Hard reset, installed Insider along with all my other apps I've used back in WP8.1.
3) Got the 10586.36 update. Did not hard reset after the update.

So far, everything seems to be fine. And recently I've also gotten the .63 update and also DID NOT perform a hard reset.

Still performing well though. Just not on WP8.1 apps.

Paisley Pirate

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Running 10586.36 on my 640 - and I've had a few glitches pop up over the last few days.

I've had random hangs on programs that forced me to restart the phone.

Facebook did. Ebay Did. Netflix did. GasBuddy did. Even Settings (!) did. Did a power off (after each), and restart, and everything smoothed out.

I seriously think there is a bit of a bug in the OS yet, causing some of these hang ups...

Not really worried about it, but it was just peculiar. That's all.

Last edited:

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Running 10586.36 on my 640 - and I've had a few glitches pop up over the last few days.

I've had random hangs on programs that forced me to restart the phone.

Facebook did. Ebay Did. Netflix did. GasBuddy did. Even Settings (!) did. Did a power off (after each), and restart, and everything smoothed out.

I seriously think there is a bit of a bug in the OS yet, causing some of these hang ups...

Not really worried about it, but it was just peculiar. That's all.

Have you done a hard reset before? I mean, anytime AFTER you updated to W10M from WP8.1?

Not sure about you, but when I updated, I went to build 10586.29, did a hard reset, installed the Insider app and re-enrolled into the Insider program to get the latest builds (got the .36 build immediately after, and now I'm using the .63 build). So far, the new build has been performing really well for me.

P/S: Make sure that after you hard reset your phone, DO NOT RESTORE from a backup. This here is the gem of it all. Starting fresh with W10M has a 99.9% guarantee that the new OS would perform top-notch, on par or much better than WP8.1 in fact! Well, at least it is for me. :cool:

Paisley Pirate

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Have you done a hard reset before? I mean, anytime AFTER you updated to W10M from WP8.1?

Not sure about you, but when I updated, I went to build 10586.29, did a hard reset, installed the Insider app and re-enrolled into the Insider program to get the latest builds (got the .36 build immediately after, and now I'm using the .63 build). So far, the new build has been performing really well for me.

P/S: Make sure that after you hard reset your phone, DO NOT RESTORE from a backup. This here is the gem of it all. Starting fresh with W10M has a 99.9% guarantee that the new OS would perform top-notch, on par or much better than WP8.1 in fact! Well, at least it is for me. :cool:

Great question, but the answer is YES. Since I was starting with a new phone, I updated, then reset, then started getting all my stuff moved from my BlackBerry Z10 to my 640... obviously, no back up to restore for me...

Still, it makes a great point, and more generally to all mobile devices or maybe even all devices at all, occasionally a complete wipe and start over with the very minimum of moving stuff into it (not restore) is the best way to clear all junk out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3