A strange problem on my Win 10 XPS-8700 PC

Nemesis-X

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Here's what happened today and has happened enough times in the past to make me think this is unusual.

I have the latest build of Win 10 on my system and this is installed on a 512GB M-Sata drive.

I also have a 2TB WD Green, a 1TB WD Black, and another 650GB HD.

So I came home about 10 mins ago, and my PC was off, and I usually let it hibernate while I'm out so it's never completely off so it shut off for some reason.

I then turn on my system and it boots up but instead of going into Win 10, it shows me a boot selection screen with a Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 option and then it crashes.

My solution, which works everytime, is I disconnect every HD in my system except for my M-Sata which is my OS. Booting up then gets me back to Win 10 and then after I power down and re-attach all my HD's everything is back to normal. But this process repeats itself once every random 1-3-6 months.

Any ideas how to actually troubleshoot this?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Here's what happened today and has happened enough times in the past to make me think this is unusual.

I have the latest build of Win 10 on my system and this is installed on a 512GB M-Sata drive.

I also have a 2TB WD Green, a 1TB WD Black, and another 650GB HD.

So I came home about 10 mins ago, and my PC was off, and I usually let it hibernate while I'm out so it's never completely off so it shut off for some reason.

I then turn on my system and it boots up but instead of going into Win 10, it shows me a boot selection screen with a Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 option and then it crashes.

My solution, which works everytime, is I disconnect every HD in my system except for my M-Sata which is my OS. Booting up then gets me back to Win 10 and then after I power down and re-attach all my HD's everything is back to normal. But this process repeats itself once every random 1-3-6 months.

Any ideas how to actually troubleshoot this?

Did you upgrade from windows 7 or 8.1?

Nemesis-X

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
It was a clean install of 10 on the M-Sata drive. I also formatted the 1TB drive that came with the Dell but somehow these installations are still showing up.

I'll check the bios to see if any other drives are set up as possible boot drives.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Forget the bios. If those other drives have been used as boot drives before, and not properly wiped out before reuse, they may look like they are boot drives to Windows (bios aside) and Windows can then start thinking it is dual boot or something.

Personally, I always run a Diskpart Clean operation over any drive I am either clean installing to or which has been used as a boot drive before. I advise you do the same. It could even be your boot drive that's causing the confusion if it had been used as a boot drive with other installations, but that is less likely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes