Battery Saver Not Making Any Sense

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Im on the latest build on the Anniversary update on the release preview ring, iheartradio and mytube in the last 6 hours have double digit background percentages when I haven't been using these apps

in the last 6 hours, I was sleeping.
I have both of the background processes disabled on both apps and I haven't used either apps in the last 12 hours since I was using my tablet until the battery died on there anyway
Any reason for these high percentages?
Also I'm using the 8.1 version of iheartradio since the new version for Windows 10 isn't working that well

3ZKafuM.jpg

mqnJgBt.jpg

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Did the battery level drop in those 6 hours? By a big margin?

I'm thinking along these lines: say the battery dropped 2% in 6 hours. Out of this 2% drop, iheart was 0.5, mytube was also 0.5 and the others adding up to 1

So the percentage drop contributed by iheart was 25% or higher

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Did the battery level drop in those 6 hours? By a big margin?

I'm thinking along these lines: say the battery dropped 2% in 6 hours. Out of this 2% drop, iheart was 0.5, mytube was also 0.5 and the others adding up to 1

So the percentage drop contributed by iheart was 25% or higher
When I woke up the battery was on 88% it had been off the charger since maybe 9pm last night woke up at 4 am. I checked battery saver when I woke up to change a setting and I looked and saw those 2 apps were very high with background processes

Sent from mTalk

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
When I woke up the battery was on 88% it had been off the charger since maybe 9pm last night woke up at 4 am. I checked battery saver when I woke up to change a setting and I looked and saw those 2 apps were very high with background processes

Sent from mTalk

keep monitoring for a few days, if the same repeats daily, maybe reinstall the apps

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
The battery usage by app is a bit confusing, I agree.

When it displays an app has a double digit percentage of battery usage, it doesn't mean the app used a total of that double digit percentage of your phone battery.

In your case, iHeartRadio(IHR) and mytube says it used 28% and 25% respectively. But this does not mean that both of these apps used 28%/25% of your phone's battery. It just means that, for whatever percentage your battery has dropped in the last 6 hours, 28% of that battery loss is used by IHR and 25% by mytube.

If you still don't understand, I'll explain through an example.

Say you unplugged your phone from your charger at 100% at 12.00AM. By 6.00AM, your phone's battery dropped to 95%. So in the last 6 hours (12.00AM - 6.00AM), your phone lost a total of 5% battery.

So you opened the battery usage by app under battery saver, and saw the same thing as you posted. IHR used 28%, mytube 25%, Windows Lock Screen 10%, etc. in the last 6 hours.

What this means is that, mathematically:

IHR Battery Usage: 28% x 5 = 1.4
myTube Battery Usage: 25% x 5 = 1.25
Windows Lock Screen Battery Usage: 10% x 5 = 0.5
Total battery used by these apps in the last 6 hours: 1.4 + 1.25 + 0.5 = 3.15

And the other 1.85% of battery loss during the last 6 hours is caused by other apps that is displayed in the battery usage by app list, i.e. Cortana, Weather, News, etc.

Hope this helps :)

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site

When it displays an app has a double digit percentage of battery usage, it doesn't mean the app used a total of that double digit percentage of your phone battery.

In your case, iHeartRadio(IHR) and mytube says it used 28% and 25% respectively. But this does not mean that both of these apps used 28%/25% of your phone's battery. It just means that, for whatever percentage your battery has dropped in the last 6 hours, 28% of that battery loss is used by IHR and 25% by mytube.

Say you unplugged your phone from your charger at 100% at 12.00AM. By 6.00AM, your phone's battery dropped to 95%. So in the last 6 hours (12.00AM - 6.00AM), your phone lost a total of 5% battery.

So you opened the battery usage by app under battery saver, and saw the same thing as you posted. IHR used 28%, mytube 25%, Windows Lock Screen 10%, etc. in the last 6 hours.

And the other 1.85% of battery loss during the last 6 hours is caused by other apps that is displayed in the battery usage by app list, i.e. Cortana, Weather, News, etc.

yea but how could those apps use that much battery if I never used them in the last 6 hours and I disabled both of them from running in the background?

Sent from mTalk

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
yea but how could those apps use that much battery if I never used them in the last 6 hours and I disabled both of them from running in the background?

Sent from mTalk

I'm not sure. I know for a fact that if you leave an app open on the background, it will still run on the background. To ensure all apps are closed, simply hold the back button and close (click the 'X' or swipe down) each of the app.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

couldn't have put it better myself - well said

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure. I know for a fact that if you leave an app open on the background, it will still run on the background. To ensure all apps are closed, simply hold the back button and close (click the 'X' or swipe down) each of the app.
They were never opened to begin with no apps were open the phone was 10% about to die I closed all the apps and put it on the charger then switched to just using my tablet.

Sent from mTalk

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
They were never opened to begin with no apps were open the phone was 10% about to die I closed all the apps and put it on the charger then switched to just using my tablet.

That's very weird. May I know what phone are you using?

Also, do as @Chintan Gohel said above. If problem persists, try reinstalling the apps, and try to install it on the phone's memory, not SD Card.

BUT! Before you do reinstall, I just wanna give you a heads up. I noticed that from your screenshot, CELLULAR DATA and BLUETOOTH is turned on. Try turning them off before going to sleep as leaving both of these on would increase battery discharge rate. I recommend connecting your phone to a WiFi instead of Cellular Data for internet when you're sleeping, assuming that your house does have a WiFi. Also, turn Location off as well, and maybe NFC if you're not using it (battery saving tips here!).

If discharging still occurs, reinstall apps. If it still happens, maybe a hard reset is due (hope it doesn't come to that).

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
That's very weird. May I know what phone are you using?

Also, do as @Chintan Gohel said above. If problem persists, try reinstalling the apps, and try to install it on the phone's memory, not SD Card.

BUT! Before you do reinstall, I just wanna give you a heads up. I noticed that from your screenshot, CELLULAR DATA and BLUETOOTH is turned on. Try turning them off before going to sleep as leaving both of these on would increase battery discharge rate. I recommend connecting your phone to a WiFi instead of Cellular Data for internet when you're sleeping, assuming that your house does have a WiFi. Also, turn Location off as well, and maybe NFC if you're not using it (battery saving tips here!).

If discharging still occurs, reinstall apps. If it still happens, maybe a hard reset is due (hope it doesn't come to that).
Well I just redownloaded the windows 10 version of iheartradio instead of the 8.1 app. I usually have cellular data off and connect to WiFi unless I'm not at home. Don't u need location on to use Cortana and all the reminders etc?

Sent from mTalk

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Well I just redownloaded the windows 10 version of iheartradio instead of the 8.1 app. I usually have cellular data off and connect to WiFi unless I'm not at home. Don't u need location on to use Cortana and all the reminders etc?

Sent from mTalk

Okay, keep us up to date with the result. Weirdly today, myTube had a 10% background use when I was sleeping, but of course my Lumia 950's battery didn't go down that much. Only went down by 3% when I was asleep, connected to WiFi.

Not really. Location is only used by Cortana for location based stuff, such as realizing your pattern of going from home to work/school, and use this data to tell you about traffic or weather. Location based reminder is also a thing if you ask Cortana to remind you specifically when you arrive at a certain destination. For example, you ask Cortana to remind you to take a selfie when you arrive at school tomorrow.

Other than that, no. You do not need location for most of Cortana's features (I'm still using Cortana, even when location service is off).

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Okay, keep us up to date with the result. Weirdly today, myTube had a 10% background use when I was sleeping, but of course my Lumia 950's battery didn't go down that much. Only went down by 3% when I was asleep, connected to WiFi.

Not really. Location is only used by Cortana for location based stuff, such as realizing your pattern of going from home to work/school, and use this data to tell you about traffic or weather. Location based reminder is also a thing if you ask Cortana to remind you specifically when you arrive at a certain destination. For example, you ask Cortana to remind you to take a selfie when you arrive at school tomorrow.

Other than that, no. You do not need location for most of Cortana's features (I'm still using Cortana, even when location service is off).
wow is that new ? on 8.1 cortana was disabled when u turned the location off i will turn it off and see if it helps the battery life

Sent from mTalk

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
wow is that new ? on 8.1 cortana was disabled when u turned the location off i will turn it off and see if it helps the battery life

Not sure if it's new, but that's what I've read from all other Cortana users here. I personally haven't tried it myself, but I know for a fact that you can add your home and work locations into Cortana (this I've done myself), and from what other users have been saying here, if your location service is turned on, Cortana would learn your movements based on your location, and can send reminders like when you should leave for work, what's the weather condition so she can remind you to bring umbrella if it rains, and others.

Also, if you have a flight or bus trip where the tickets are sent to your e-mail, Cortana can access that information and make reminders for you. Cool, huh?

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
NO, there is no background execution in WM, there can be background agents (limited cpu use for limited time every 30 minutes max, background audio play) OR an app could run under lockscreeen while still in "foreground", only situations where apps can use cpu. System/integrated apps may behave differently, only microsoft knows.
Otherwise the app is suspended (no cpu usage) or tombstoned (no cpu and ram usage)

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
NO, there is no background execution in WM, there can be background agents (limited cpu use for limited time every 30 minutes max, background audio play) OR an app could run under lockscreeen while still in "foreground", only situations where apps can use cpu. System/integrated apps may behave differently, only microsoft knows.
Otherwise the app is suspended (no cpu usage) or tombstoned (no cpu and ram usage)

Well, as you said, only MS knows what's really going on. Strangely enough, myTube's usage on my phone has drastically increased even when I'm not using it. Uninstalled it and installed the beta app instead.

Anyway, that's why I told the guy that, to ensure all apps are 'properly closed' (whatever that means), close each app individually by long pressing back button and swipe down/tap X. I do not know whether this may or may not do something though, just my suggestion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital