Wireless Display Adapter

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
So i picked up the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. So Great! Very easy to hook up; worked with my 950 XL right away. I've used Chromecast with my Galaxy S5; this works just as well! But...when i use the 'Continuum' setting (not the 'mirror' my phone screen mode), the corners/edges of my phone are cut off; i can't see my entire screen. Anyone know how to fix this?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Firstly, the problem is with your display. The phone puts out 1080p. If your display cuts off the edges, then it is not showing 1080p. Most TVs can do this for historic reasons. They usually have a setting to change aspect ratio (such as 4:3, 16:9 etc). One of the settings in there should show true 1080p. On my Samsung it is called 'Screen Fit' I seem to recall.

OK, so some screens are a bit trashy and were sold as 1080p when they can't quite do it. Luckily the is the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter utility for your phone in the store that can be used to address the issue. Unluckily, this has been broken for some time now and MS are really pathetic at sorting bugs out before hell freezes over. So, you need to get the app on a full Windows device that has Miracast compatibility, like many tablets or laptops do. Then you can adjust the borders. Two problems with this, first being you can't use this on the go without lugging a second larger device around defeating the point of Continuum due to poor MS bug fixing schedules. Secondly, this is an awful cludge which is basically squashing 1080p into a smaller lower resolution box with a black border around it so your TV cuts off the border and not the image. Best MS or anyone can do, as the problem lies with your TV and should be addressed at the TV end. If the TV cannot be properly corrected, remember not to buy that make again as they lied when they told you it was a 1080p set. It is not.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes. Firstly, the problem is with your display. The phone puts out 1080p. If your display cuts off the edges, then it is not showing 1080p. Most TVs can do this for historic reasons. They usually have a setting to change aspect ratio (such as 4:3, 16:9 etc). One of the settings in there should show true 1080p. On my Samsung it is called 'Screen Fit' I seem to recall.

OK, so some screens are a bit trashy and were sold as 1080p when they can't quite do it. Luckily the is the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter utility for your phone in the store that can be used to address the issue. Unluckily, this has been broken for some time now and MS are really pathetic at sorting bugs out before hell freezes over. So, you need to get the app on a full Windows device that has Miracast compatibility, like many tablets or laptops do. Then you can adjust the borders. Two problems with this, first being you can't use this on the go without lugging a second larger device around defeating the point of Continuum due to poor MS bug fixing schedules. Secondly, this is an awful cludge which is basically squashing 1080p into a smaller lower resolution box with a black border around it so your TV cuts off the border and not the image. Best MS or anyone can do, as the problem lies with your TV and should be addressed at the TV end. If the TV cannot be properly corrected, remember not to buy that make again as they lied when they told you it was a 1080p set. It is not.

Thank you so much for your very detailed reply! Yes - I have a cheapo Best Buy - DYNEX TV; I've tried playing around with all of the settings; nothing has worked, so I think your analysis is correct. Luckily, in the advanced settings, I can use the option to 'mirror' my phone, which still works great; I can see all of my pics and videos perfectly.
Thanks again for your help. Maybe one day i'll get a real TV....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)