Windows 10 vs MacOS

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks - serious (for me!) question.

My mom is looking at getting a new computer. She's no computer expert, but can get her way around most systems no problem.

Question is - what would you recommend... A Windows PC or Mac? I know she's open to both - so if you have pros and cons for each it'd really help us make a decision!!

Really appreciate the feedback in advance!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd say W10, because of the touch/pen support, BUT what is she needing it for?

If she's like my mom, she really only needs email, web, and light gaming. If so, AND if she's willing to wait a couple of months, at least I'm guessing at that time frame, affordable tablets should be coming to market with W10 on arm. That would probably be all she would need. Although we've yet to see how well W10 runs on arm... I'm guessing it's better than the atom CPU's.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Eh, both will work just fine.

Heck, if she's a basic enough user, something like Ubuntu might work just fine for her needs. But otherwise, all of them nail the essentials.

I would pick the form-factor we're getting for her first and I would lean towards a Windows PC (Linux optional) because you have more inexpensive options and they'll have a longer service life.

I say that because Apple often drops support for older models with each major macOS iteration while Windows PC's can keep going until they're either obsolete, lack a needed feature or are outright broken. (with few exceptions)

Late model Macbooks are difficult to repair, maybe not as bad as the Surfaces but it's still not ideal unless she has her mind set on a fancy 2-in-1.

However if we're talking desktops, I'd say you got options.

bsage23

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
Coming from a recent returning windows user, she should pick the hardware that she likes the most. Software-wise, Win10 and MacOS are remarkably similar. I switched back after 15 years on a Mac solely for hardware -- hated the new Mac keyboards, love the 4K dell XPS 25 screen, and appreciate the SD card reader. I was a bit worried about going back to Windows, but its been a real treat. It really is hard to go wrong with either one, which is why I say focus on the hardware and pick what's going to work.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Here are a couple of basic differences...

Scroll wheels on a mouse (assuming you have a mouse with scroll wheel)
Windows... like 99.9% of games, normal, scroll in an upward direction, screen scrolls up...
Mac... like 0.00000000001% of games, scrolls down...

Right Click on mouse (assuming you have a mouse with right button)
Windows... generaly a context menu pops up with relevant options...
Mac... Shame on you... try ctrl key + left click... What do you think this is, windows?

Touch screen / Inking
Windows... works like a mouse / allows you to use pressure sensitive brushes
Mac... What do you think this is, windows? OK, I maybe your actually on an iPad Pro... enjoy your 1 ms quicker response time.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Personally I own both and sway more towards Mac. If it weren't for the fact we've invested heavily into the PC realm over the years, I'm pretty certain where I'd be today. And since the advent of W10 our patience has been tried on too many occasions, has me seriously rethinking our direction of travel here, especially as of late.

Mac Pros:
1] Great build quality
2] Higher resolution displays even on lower end scale
3] Reliable and consistent
4] Support above average
5] OS stable
6] OS upgrades free
7] More secure, less prone to hacking
8] Excel in the photography/video editing field

Mac Cons:
1] Initial $$$ outlay is considerably higher
2] Steeper learning curve (for those more familiar w/PC)
3] Limited models to choose from
4] Ability to upgrade limited, if at all
5) No touch screens... There is the "touch bar" LOL
6] Apps/programs typically more expensive
7] Mac specific peripherals expensive
8] Repairs expensive

PC Pros:
1] Price ranges/configurations to suit everyone's needs abound
2] Usually cheaper to repair
3] Touch screens
4] Better support for longer periods
5] Hardware upgradable to a degree in many cases (HDD/RAM)
6] Commonality between users, chances are you'll find more people using a PC than Mac's
7] Most apps/programs reasonably priced
8] Better suited for gaming

PC Cons:
1] Build quality/components on lower-end models not always the best
2] Cheap to mid-range laptops still stuck in the dark ages w/1366 x 768 resolution displays
3] More horsepower, better hardware required to run smoothly
4] Diagnosing problems can be very time consuming to fix if not, impossible
5] OS less stable/reliable (W10)
6] OS upgrades usually at a cost
7] More prone to hacking, less secure
8] MSFT :winktongue:

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
It depends on usage, but if she just needs a computer for some basic tasks (when nowadays it's all about internet browser in the end) then it's just down to a few things. First of all I agree with Elky64's Pros and Cons and then - if the money isn't a big deal, MacOS would probably be a safer choice. Windows can get a bit difficult sometimes.

But as you say that she can handle most systems, then Windows 10 could be a great choice too and it's about a personal preference. And that's a tough one to decide!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I use Windows 10 at work (it's how I make a living!) and we use primarily Macs at home for personal use. I can't say I have a preference of one over the other. They are both very good.

One issue I do have with Mac is when using a mouse. I use a Macbook and my wife uses a Mac desktop. With the Macbook I just use the touchpad, which in my opinion is far superior to the touchpad experience on a Windows machine. But I hate using the mouse on the Mac desktop. Scrolling is jerky, and the acceleration algorithms are horrible. One telling sign that it's not just me is that the App Store has lots of apps to (try to) make the scrolling smooth.

TL;DR
Touchpad: Mac > Windows
Mouse: Windows > Mac

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I find macOS awkward. Apple key for context menus. Search for accessing files. Commandline for file properties.
Windows is also upgradable (longer life), has more software, is more common, although I'll admit that greater range of software comes with rare memory leak issues (and the greater range of hardware with rare driver issues).

But my advise is give her what she's used to. Its hard learning new tricks, and as the tech expert, you'll be the one dealing with it. Give her windows if she's had windows, or macos if she's had that.

Simple. Don't complicate it.

Last edited:

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Basic rule of thumb.

First pick the applications she'll NEED -- the best ones for her.

Then, pick the OS/hardware to run them on. If she NEEDS an application that is OS specific that will drive it.

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
If i can only own one hardware,it would be mac....because it's easier to put Windows 10 on a separate partition on a mac,than vise versa.....that way you can boot into either one you want too

nickx91

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
I believe Mac is more easy and secure OS as compared to Windows 10. You would have to install different software to secure it or use different apps. Mac comes with most of the apps out of the box.

vzzbuckz

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Totally depends on what she wants to do. Like most people here - her first choice may not be something she sticks with - typically for the weirdest of reasons, e.g. you buy a laptop but she prefers the bigger screen of a desktop etc. Her budget is likely going to dictate what you get. Neither Mac or Windows 10 is going to be better or worse for someone with light computing needs.

Dare2Blink

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks - serious (for me!) question.

My mom is looking at getting a new computer. She's no computer expert, but can get her way around most systems no problem.

Question is - what would you recommend... A Windows PC or Mac? I know she's open to both - so if you have pros and cons for each it'd really help us make a decision!!

Really appreciate the feedback in advance!

Definitely Windows. If it was 2 or 3 years ago I might have said Mac but now there is no doubt in my mind that Windows is the best fit to anyone that does not rely on a Mac only program like Final Cut Pro. The main reason I am of this opinion is the following:

- As time goes by Windows is become more and more stable and safer from viruses, which have traditionally been the only two weaknesses of Windows. If you are really worried about either, just get your mother a windows 10S device which will be pretty much 100% foolproof.

- Mac on the other hand, has become more unstable in recent years, with apple focusing all of their efforts on ios, even going to the extreme of disbanding their mac team.

- Only Windows support touch, and it works beautifully in a similar way that most people are already used to using their smartphones. It has the extra awesome benefit of enabling her to buy one device to replace not only her laptop but also her tablet.

- Windows has way more programs than macs do.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Unless you're talking about a specific application, there's absolutely no reason to choose one over the other. Your mom may prefer one over the other. I use MacBooks/iMac/iPads everyday at work and I still prefer Windows. But your mom won't know what she prefers unless she uses both extensively. The only thing that matters - THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS - is that when she has a question, you can answer it.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
For basic use, I'd say an iPad or Android tablet. My parents and in-laws each have Surface RT tablets and still use them and love them. I think a PC, in general, is overkill for most basic computing needs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2