Anyone Else Sad to See Groove Music Pass Go?

Chazzy J

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Well I guess Microsoft pulled the plug on Groove Music Pass. I'm sure they did it for all the right reasons and it made business sense to do so -- at least I hope.

Looks like the Groove App will remain in tact and isn't going anywhere, but the ability to search and download and seamlessly add music to playlists, along with its seamless integration across my desktop, tablet, android phone, and xbox is going bye-bye.

Looks like they'll be "partnering" with Spotify. Not quite sure what "partnering" means, because you have to go use their software, their app, and while it looks and feels like Groove, I'm not sure what is going to happen to all my songs I've had since 2001. My library is huge.

I've been using Groove Music Pass since 2014, so I haven't bought any songs. I must have hundreds of Music Pass songs. All of which are integrated into my playlists. So I've got songs that are 10 years old, that I out-right own, and I've got other songs that are Music pass only. I understand Groove is porting all of my Music Pass music over to Spotify, which is fine, but what about the songs I own out-right? Do I just have parsed playlists now?

If they were really "partnering" with Spotify, they'd integrate the streaming service into Groove and keep everything seamless.

Sad to see Groove grow with the fluent design, adding music videos, the album art...all of that. Only to be chopped at the knees.

Anyhow, I'm just grieving and venting. Nothing more than that.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I had Groove on three different devices and used it almost daily. Really sad to see it go and it doesn't help with Microsoft's perception with its consumers. Although, after reading WC's article it does make sense in that most music pass people use the service on a mobile device and with W10M being on less and less devices everyday, the music service suffers. Which, makes me think, maybe MS doesn't have too much faith in their retrenching strategy that is supposedly just around the corner. It gets harder and harder to use Microsoft stuff everyday.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

DallasXanadu

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes I'm sad. It's one of the few reasons I'm still clinging to WP. In fact I just bought a used phone from the marketplace to use as a dedicated music player in my car. I'll use Spotify until it no longer functions (four months, tops?), then I'll give up and switch platforms, while a single tear rolls down my cheek.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
My guess with the spotify thing is that some businesses are grouping together as allies to go after a bigger number of customers. (Verizon ditched their music services for spotify some time ago.) I'll miss Groove and all its previous iterations, but I never use the "all you can eat" music passes and my music is backed up already, so not much will change for me.

Paul Wiseman

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Very upset to see groove/zune kicked to the curb. It just may be the straw that broke the camels back for me. I've been a big supporter of the msft ecosystem. no supported mobile solution and now short another app.have a good one msft...later

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Nope, the service was never available in my region.
A good solid player that plays local and tracks from oneDrive is all I want/need

... !

Chazzy J

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Nope, the service was never available in my region.
A good solid player that plays local and tracks from oneDrive is all I want/need

... !

Agreed on that. I took yesterday to get my refund, go to Amazon and DL the MP3 of all of the Music Pass Songs I wanted to keep and still listen to. Put them in my OneDrive Music folder and now they're in Groove Music permanently. I guess I'll just go back to DL'ing songs from Amazon -- not that big of deal now that I've done it; pretty easy actually.

Groove is a solid music player. I want to be able to continue to use it and my playlists

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Agreed on that. I took yesterday to get my refund, go to Amazon and DL the MP3 of all of the Music Pass Songs I wanted to keep and still listen to. Put them in my OneDrive Music folder and now they're in Groove Music permanently. I guess I'll just go back to DL'ing songs from Amazon -- not that big of deal now that I've done it; pretty easy actually.

Groove is a solid music player. I want to be able to continue to use it and my playlists

Good to hear that!!
Reading thread in here is like the freaking end of the world. .. people are way too phone-centric

... !

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Really sad to see it go! The people working on the Groove project did an amazing job, bringing it from X-box music to a very very polished product. I cancelled my Music pass, and then started playing around with Spotify. Now - i have Spotify on my work issued iPad. Spotify on my 950 XL is very very weak and bland. I can't believe how 'old' it looks compared to the iPad version, and also to Groove. Groove was awesome! I think Microsoft better loan some money to Spotify and tell them to get to work and upgrade their Windows version...

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm sad about it sure. I thought it was a neat feature. Am I going to go nuts no... I still use iTunes that I heavily invested all my music purchase along with amazon also. Hopefully apple will bring there iTunes app sooner to the Microsoft store as they said they would. Be interesting to see if it will be a UWP.

j m robin

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm honestly heartbroken by this - not for the Music Pass, but purchasing music in general (I just prefer that method for my purchases). I was so happy to get away from iTunes, but now it looks like I have to go back to them. Not to mention, it doesn't exude much confidence In my other digital purchases I made from Microsoft, like movies.

beeg50

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Well I guess Microsoft pulled the plug on Groove Music Pass. I'm sure they did it for all the right reasons and it made business sense to do so -- at least I hope.

Looks like the Groove App will remain in tact and isn't going anywhere, but the ability to search and download and seamlessly add music to playlists, along with its seamless integration across my desktop, tablet, android phone, and xbox is going bye-bye.

Looks like they'll be "partnering" with Spotify. Not quite sure what "partnering" means, because you have to go use their software, their app, and while it looks and feels like Groove, I'm not sure what is going to happen to all my songs I've had since 2001. My library is huge.

I've been using Groove Music Pass since 2014, so I haven't bought any songs. I must have hundreds of Music Pass songs. All of which are integrated into my playlists. So I've got songs that are 10 years old, that I out-right own, and I've got other songs that are Music pass only. I understand Groove is porting all of my Music Pass music over to Spotify, which is fine, but what about the songs I own out-right? Do I just have parsed playlists now?

If they were really "partnering" with Spotify, they'd integrate the streaming service into Groove and keep everything seamless.

Sad to see Groove grow with the fluent design, adding music videos, the album art...all of that. Only to be chopped at the knees.

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
am I sad, yes, do I feel betrayed or think MS is abandoning people, no. yeah, I loved groove, and Xbox Music and Zune, but in the end I still have my personal files and there are multiple streaming solutions on my 950 and other devices. hopefully they will be putting some of those software engineers on other teams because they seemed to be the ones who understood fluent design and the UWP the best

joshuadlieberman

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site

beeg50

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
This is just one more reason to leave Microsoft. They have abandoned the consumer market. I've invested a lot of time and money with Microsoft, but now it's time to go elsewhere.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes and no. I did my best to support Microsoft services but at the end of the day, there is no money in streaming music. Apple uses it to sell iPhones. Google uses it to sell ads. And Amazon tacks it on for free. Spotify is a private business who is far more invested in the market and I just don't think it made sense for Microsoft to continue to lose an uphill battle.

The big question is whether Movies and TV is next.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I have long used Groove as my main music source - so this seriously sucks. I have nearly 100GBs of music on onedrive that I play anywhere through Groove to a cacophony of connected devices. The one thing I am wondering about this - is does it have something to do with Microsoft trying to buy Spotify. A Spotify purchase has been rumored for a while now - is it maybe happening? if MS is buying Spotify, then having two music services makes no sense.

Henry Linc

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site

After the fluent design, everything doesn't seems smooth. I always wanted some app that's simple that can replace the old Windows Media Player. for me, it's fine for groove not having the music pass thing, but that's just me. I'm too, sad hearing about Microsoft pulling the plug on Groove Music Pass even though I only use groove to play my offline collection of music which i downloaded from internet (xD).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3