Progressive Web App (PWA) list

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the Edge browser on my Android device and have been trying out a few of the PWA's that are available. They're pretty awesome, but it's difficult to find out which websites have gone down the PWA route.

For example, you visit the Trivago site, save the page to your home screen and....YES!! it's a PWA😁 Do the same with LinkedIn and....BOO!!😠not a PWA.

It's kind of hit and miss.

Some folk have tried to create lists of known PWA's but they don't seem to keep them up to date.

Windows 10 users are the ones who will benefit the most from PWA's, so maybe we should be the ones to create and curate a list of PWA websites...

PWA's are Microsoft's best shot at bridging the app gap. The global web developer community is massively behind it, probably because
Google and Apple are pushing for PWA's too.

A world where virtually every banking, shopping, travel and social networking app is available on every platform simply because it's a web page and not a purpose built app is a happy world for everyone. Google maps on a Microsoft device......oh joy 😁

But it's difficult to find any up-to-date lists of PWA's that are available.

Currently I'm using:

Outlook
Trivago
Uber
9Gag
PWA Stats

What PWA's have you discovered?

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I think this is a great idea! Hopefully this list will continue to grow. As for me, I use the Twitter PWA instead of the app on Windows 10 because the app is so terrible.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I think this is a great idea! Hopefully this list will continue to grow. As for me, I use the Twitter PWA instead of the app on Windows 10 because the app is so terrible.

So now the official list of PWA's is:

Outlook
Trivago
Uber
9GAG
PWA Stats
Twitter

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I wish Starbucks had a PWA; one of the 'final straws' for me leaving my 950 XL on the shelf was the loss of the Starbucks Windows app...the app getting pulled, and then the 'redirect' message to the web page...which has no payment option, so you can't use it to buy stuff in a store.....kind of useless...

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I wish Starbucks had a PWA; one of the 'final straws' for me leaving my 950 XL on the shelf was the loss of the Starbucks Windows app...the app getting pulled, and then the 'redirect' message to the web page...which has no payment option, so you can't use it to buy stuff in a store.....kind of useless...

Try this: app.starbucks.com

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Try this: app.starbucks.com

Thanks for the tip! I live in Canada, so i was being re-directed to the Canadian Starbucks site, which does not have the PWA. I logged into the USA site, and my account did come up, and there is actually an option to pay and add money to my account, so good. Not everything works correctly...i couldn't get rid of the error message showing below, no matter what. But....at least i know now that this is something that I can use with my backup 950 XL (if i drop my S8+ in the toilet....or something...)
wp_ss_20180326_0001.jpg

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! I live in Canada, so i was being re-directed to the Canadian Starbucks site, which does not have the PWA. I logged into the USA site, and my account did come up, and there is actually an option to pay and add money to my account, so good. Not everything works correctly...i couldn't get rid of the error message showing below, no matter what. But....at least i know now that this is something that I can use with my backup 950 XL (if i drop my S8+ in the toilet....or something...)
View attachment 138944

Nice! Glad that this worked for you. Hopefully Starbucks will roll it out for official support in other countries soon!

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if PWAs will allow you to download data? For example, will outlook PWA store your mail for offline access like the apps do? Thanks!

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if PWAs will allow you to download data? For example, will outlook PWA store your mail for offline access like the apps do? Thanks!

Good question...I don't think it does.

I switched off my WiFi and phone data and tried to access my PWA'S....outlook, Trivago, Uber, etc...none of them worked. All I saw was a page saying there was a data connection error.

I guess these are just enhanced webpages after all, and won't even load without a connection, which leads me to suspect they don't store any data locally.

Maybe when PWA's properly start to arrive on edge from April onwards this will change

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I think the idea is that they will be locally storing data in the future. Remember no one has PWA fully implemented yet. Only the basics, like notifications, are running. In theory they should even be able to update live tiles in the future.

Ferenc Toth

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I think the idea is that they will be locally storing data in the future. Remember no one has PWA fully implemented yet. Only the basics, like notifications, are running. In theory they should even be able to update live tiles in the future.

This is what worries me about PWA. Websites will potentially have access to local resources? I wish Daniel would have touched on this in his PWA video.

jay_max

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Starbuck's app acts like PWA. I can order ahead, reload my card, pay in store with the app. app dot starbucks dot com It's actually better that the old app.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
This is what worries me about PWA. Websites will potentially have access to local resources? I wish Daniel would have touched on this in his PWA video.
Some already do. I'm sure you've been to mobile sites that ask for permission to access your location. This will be extended. As for storing data for offline use, that should go to a dedicated space that is isolated. That wont give the app access to go all over your file system.

Darren Deighton

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Will Facebook & Messenger get the PWA treatment as the windows store app never gets updated, I wonder? Takes five minutes for it to load up for an app that's two years out of date.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I thought that was obvious that in the long term they may have some access to local resources. I mean an app that only works online isn't as useful. At the same time, I don't think it'll necessarily be the same as a locally installed app. Obviously the feature isn't there yet so we don't know for sure.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Daniel is wrong. PWAs work right now on Windows Mobile 10 on Edge. You have to type in "about:flags" in the address bar and enable all service workers. I'm using ride.lyft.com, m.uber.com, and mobile.twitter.com.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3