Issues with windows 10 install. Help?

mbdizzy63

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
I have just bought windows 10 pro. I have Vista. I am trying to update to 10 but, I am having trouble. I have the system requirements except DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver. I tried to update but, I guess my graphics card needs updated. I only have DirectX. I tried to download ISO and RUFUS to a flash drive but, they only download to google. I tried to open RUFUS to set it up for system 32 but, it just disappears as it activates when I click it. I just got Hughesnet Satellite Internet and I can only surf through searching anything first through google. Google is no longer supported and Internet Explorer doesn't work at all. I tried formatting C:/ like the good old days of 95 & 98. But it wouldn't let me. I need help. If anyone could help I would sure appreciate it. Thank you, Mark B.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
in all honesty, I commend you for even trying to install Windows 10 on hardware that's almost 10 or more years old.

if I were you, I'd get a new computer with Windows 10 already installed. use your Win 10 Pro key to upgrade it to Pro status.

old hardware make your Windows 10 experience that much more frutrating and you'll end up hating windows 10 and MS.

Vista was released in 2006.

Edit: any chance you can get different internet service provider? Like DSL OR CABLE internet?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Did you get a USB with Windows 10? You could try forcing the PC to read the USB drive to install Windows.

mbdizzy63

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
To answer you both in order: 1: I don't have the means to get a new computer right now. Hughesnet or dialup are the only options. This is the country and Southern OH.

2: I bought a USB dvd r/w to install it cuz my old in the case model died. So, how do I force it?

And to reiterate 10 has got to be better than freaking Vista cuz I almost went back to Win 98 when I bought this crap.

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing that if your machine can't handle vista it won't handle Windows 10 either. I had vista and it worked fine.

mbdizzy63

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
I hit a link with google and it won't go there unless I go to google search and click the link there. And sometimes that doesn't work either.

mbdizzy63

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
Golfdriver97 Wake up I'm talking to you. I can't pm you or contact you cuz this vista crap won't work. You said I could force it? But you haven't comeback on here to say how?
So are you gonna tell me how to format C:? When I type "format C:" from the DOS prompt (which I have to shut off the power and restart to get to; "safemode command prompt.") it asks for
(The type of the file system is NTFS
Enter current volume label for drive C:).
I can't download rufus.exe or Win10_1803_English_x32 (1).iso directly to the flash drive . They are suppose to be 8 gig large according to the windows page. When I download them they aren't that big but, they are like; 3 or 4 gig. But, when I save them to the flash drive from google downloads; it says they are only 96.k large.
Golfdriver97 if you are not knowledgeable enough as a Trusted Member Team Leader. Could you at least get someone on here that is the smartest at this stuff to help me out? I need help bad please!

mbdizzy63

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
Hello....hello....hello.... is there anybody in there. Just type if you can hear me. I need someone who knows what it's about. come on now I'm really feeling down. Can an admin help me out. I need some friggin help....

Golfdriver97

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I can't pm you or contact you cuz this vista crap won't work.

Quoting me will get my attention.

You said I could force it? But you haven't comeback on here to say how?

You would need to go into the BIOS and have the PC boot from the jump drive as opposed to directly into the OS on the hard drive. Different OEMs have different methods to go into the BIOS. I would look for some YouTube videos on how to do this. Watch several so you get the idea of the process.

It may be a possibility that the BIOS may not allow the jump drive to be read. Some OEMs try to prevent installing a new OS from happening.

Have you checked if your system can support Windows 10? Do you need Windows for something specific? You could always try running a Linux distro instead.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello....hello....hello.... is there anybody in there. Just type if you can hear me. I need someone who knows what it's about. come on now I'm really feeling down. Can an admin help me out. I need some friggin help....

I totally understand where you are coming from, as anyone would be at the end of tether. However....

First of all, I suggest you dial your tone if you want people to help you.

Secondly this is not an instant messaging chat room, it's a forum where people from different timezones help each other out so there will be a delay.

In regards to your issue, the quickest solution is to format your entire drive and do a clean install but you will lose ALL data from Vista. So make sure you back up your data.

Howeveryou did not give us your PC specs so we do not know if your system meets the requirements to run Windows 10 without any upgrades. From the looks of your posts you may need to upgrade however there are work arounds. But you must respond in a calm and concise manner giving us specific information - in this case.

1) Your CPU
2) How much ram you have
3) How much storage space you have
4) Your motherboard make / oem

You can find all these out by using Speccy (portable).

At minimum you will need 30 gigabytes of storage to install Windows 10 this will allow you to barely get by. As Windows 10 takes 15 to 20 gigs and you have several other gigs for programmes and updates.

You can reclaim some back using disk clean up and cleaning windows update files.

The recommended storage is more tha 50 gigs, as that gives you breathing room for the automatic updates and programmes.

If you have a large hard drive 120 gb or more, I suggest partitioning the drive with 55 gb for Windows 10 and the rest for data. If you have 200 gb then set 80 gb for Windows 10 partition, anymore than 200 gb, 100 gb for the C drive is fine for most people. The reason being you need to account for system restore points, potential programme installs and plus most people don't change the default directory for games which can take more than 40 Gigs these days.

Power users tend to use dedicated SSDs for their Windows 10 install.

If I were you I would buy a new hdd and install windows 10 on that, you can get a terabyte 3.5 mechanical drive for less than 50 bucks. If you want speed, go for an ssd but it will only function as fast as your CPU. Presuming your PC shipped with Vista, you may need to update your bios to use the newer sata hard drives.

This is why giving us specific information will allow people to give the best course of action, as it may very well turn out that you may have to invest in a brand new PC to run Windows 10 without any vista era related issues.

Golfdriver97

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Presuming your PC shipped with Vista, you may need to update your bios to use the newer sata hard drives.

Didn't realize this may be an issue. Counter question for the OP; If this is a prebuild, is a BIOS update that contains the ability to use SATA even out there? I'm cynically thinking that OEMs can and will use any means to get you to possibly buy a new PC, as opposed to a builder where the OEM might support the individual components.

mbdizzy63

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
TechFreak1
Ambassador

These are my computers parameters:

Rating: 1.0 Windows Experience Index
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00 GHz 3.00 GHz
memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System Type: 32-bit OS
80 Gig Hard Drive
Windows Vista Home Basic
Display: 800 x 600.
Graphics card: DirectX

I downloaded DirectX9 on google Chrome but, it wouldn't install much like rufus and ISO files. I can buy a new graphics card but, I don't know what to get or what will fit. I want something I can play the newer PC games with...FPS etc...

These are the official minimum system requirements to run Windows 10:

Processor: 1GHz or faster processor or SoC.
Memory: 1GB for 32-bit OS or 2GB for 64-bit OS.
Storage: 16GB for 32-bit OS 20GB for 64-bit OS.
Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver.

I hope this answers all those questions.

I bought Windows 10 Pro 32 and I have the key card.
I backed up Windows Vista on my 40 Gig portable Hard Drive along with all my stuff I wanted to keep. Except all the bookmarks which I will do before I format C: for real if I ever can?

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Didn't realize this may be an issue. Counter question for the OP; If this is a prebuild, is a BIOS update that contains the ability to use SATA even out there? I'm cynically thinking that OEMs can and will use any means to get you to possibly buy a new PC, as opposed to a builder where the OEM might support the individual components.

The easiest way I remember it is that when Vista was out, Motherboards still had EIDE/IDE sockets :winktongue:.

Some OEMs do have bios updates to enable Sata drives but I imagine it would be at older revisions - sata controller revisions - as software cannot automagically upgrade hardware lol.

TechFreak1
Ambassador

These are my computers parameters:

Rating: 1.0 Windows Experience Index
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00 GHz 3.00 GHz
memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System Type: 32-bit OS
80 Gig Hard Drive
Windows Vista Home Basic
Graphics card: DirectX

I downloaded DirectX9 on google Chrome but, it wouldn't install much like rufus and ISO files. I can buy a new graphics card but, I don't know what to get or what will fit. I want something I can play the newer PC games with...FPS etc...

These are the official minimum system requirements to run Windows 10:

Processor: 1GHz or faster processor or SoC.
Memory: 1GB for 32-bit OS or 2GB for 64-bit OS.
Storage: 16GB for 32-bit OS 20GB for 64-bit OS.
Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver.

I hope this answers all those questions.

I bought Windows 10 Pro 32 and I have the key card.
I backed up Windows Vista on my 40 Gig portable Hard Drive along with all my stuff I wanted to keep. Except all the bookmarks which I will do before I format C: for real if I ever can?

Yes, you can when the Windows 10 install runs off the install media you can delete the old partitions and format the hard drive. You can also create different sized partions with the install wizard.

Given that you have 80 GB, I would say split it 50 for the Windows install / 30 for your data if you don't want the hassle of moving data back and forth everytime you reinstall windows 10.

However the major caveat is that after every major feature update you will HAVE to run disk clean up to remove old windows installation files, as they can take anywhere upto 20 to 22 Gigs.

Personally I would say keep your data on an external and invest in upgrading your PC. As by today's standard it is pretty ancient. When you do upgrade don't throw it way, give it to an electronics recycler. I would also recommend running secure disk eraser application on your old hard drives before doing so. As IDE hard drives are essentially antiques, you could keep them as sentimental items but beyond that they don't hold much value.

You can get a 1 terabyte (1000 Gig) hard drive for about 30 to 50 bucks and you can build yourself one for about 400 bucks. There are plenty of Guides on Youtube. As a first time builder, I would suggest going for AMD Ryzen bundles as you get alot of performance per dollar.

I would suggest using AMD Ryzen 3 2200G as a start pointing, you can get this about $95 bucks and has Vega Graphics (much better than intels offering in the low end of the spectrum). In the event anything goes wrong, you're not too much out of pocket.

For pc part comparisons, you can use PCpartpicker.com

Once you have gained confidence in building your own PC then you can look at the expensive PC parts. However I imagine Ryzen 3 2200G will be more than enough for a while.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I agree with @TechFreak1 regarding the part suggestions....and this is from one who prefers Intel chips.

You can also look at used PCs. That can save some cash, and I would suggest to get a new Hard drive for your own use. You never know what the drive that comes with the used PC has on it or has been through.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills