Problems moving to Windows 10 Mobile

nt40lanman

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
I've been on a Lumia 640 WP8.1 for years and *LOVE* it. Apps have been disappearing so a friend lent me an Alcatel Idol 4S to try out. I didn't put a SIM in. The main problem is TXT messages. It imported loads of TXTs, many I had previously deleted, and it only goes up to 6/12/2016. I bought myself a refurb Lumia 950 and started setting it up (restoring the Alcatel backup failed) and updating it. When I got to TXT messages, it did the same thing, right up to 6/12/2016, ending with the exact same TXT message. Can I get some insight and help on this? There are TXTs I really need to save and keep intact.

nt40lanman

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
Also, I have a "message backup" app on my desktop that will read my message store in my account at MS and it has all messages right up to current.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Maybe use the skype app and make it your default... I know I get all my text messages sync'd and I use the skype app for it. I just did it recently due to a switching phones cause I broke one.

nt40lanman

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
The problem is I'm going from 8.1 to 10 and it appears that they keep the 2 message stores backed up separately. I have an app, WP Message Backup that allows you to view your message store on a desktop. It has options for logging in for WP 8.1 or W10M.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Text messages will populate up to the last known automatic backup. Get the "contacts+message backup" app from the Store. Put an SD card in the 640, backup whatever you want, put the SD card in your Idol and let it do its thing. Please note, the app doesn't appear on your app list, it'll appear in the "Extras" section in Settings.

nt40lanman

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Fatclue, so am I right in thinking there are 2 different messaging stores in my MS account? If I backup texts from the 8.1 640 and restore them to the 10 phone, will they then be backed up in my account and Win 10 messages?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Fatclue, so am I right in thinking there are 2 different messaging stores in my MS account? If I backup texts from the 8.1 640 and restore them to the 10 phone, will they then be backed up in my account and Win 10 messages?
I would assume so. I have text entries from contacts dating back to when I was on WP7. I don't delete nothing or throw away nothing! It can be especially helpful if you ever have to go through a divorce.

MataRatos

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Windows 8.1 and 10 have different backup systems. SMS that were back'd up when on 8.1 wont show on 10 unless they were also updated using 10. You have to use a Windows 8.1 phone like 640, go back to WP 8.1 and sync Sms. then upgrade to Windows 10 and eventually they will bem back'd up. If you want, you can return to 8.1, recover SMS and delete them from phone and sync to cloud. they will be delleted but keep existing in Windows 10. But from my experience I can say Windows 10 sms is worse than 8.1. I have 5 SMS from 2015 that appear on the Windows Phone Message Backup app, and although I've tried several times from months and even 2 or 3 years, they wont appear on my phone so that I can delete them. Even MS doesnt know how to solve this.

nt40lanman

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
With your advice, and a little faith I got it done. I used Contacts+messages Backup and backed up WP8.1 and W10M. Then I restored the WP8.1 backup to the W10M phone and it replaced the existing TXT messages but then they filtered back in and I ended up with a combination of both. Works for me!!

So now I have FB and FB messenger back as well as other apps, notifications on my desktops, and all the advances 10 gives me. Iris scanning on the 950 is weak, though.

Thanks for your advice and support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar