Lumia 950 non default texttone wont sound if text app is open

john doe126

Jul 2, 2018
Visit site
So if I set a texttone from the phones' menu to a non default tone it will only sound if the texting app is closed ,if the texting app is open the default text tone sounds & the vibrate vibrates even though it's switched off. Does anyone have a solution to this? Thanks

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Correct. It only sounds if you have the app open. If you really wanted to hear the same tone as your notification tone selected even while the app is open there is a hack that I bet will work but you need full access to the file system on your Lumia.

If you ever figure out how to disable the vibration even when vibrate is off while the messaging app is open please share. I have been hunting for a hack to disable that for quite some time.

john doe126

Jul 2, 2018
Visit site
I see ,thanks .Is it supposed to be that way? It would seem that if I'm having a conversation via texting with the texting app therefore open that that's when I'd want to hear the alternative from default texttone sound for incoming texts & be able to do so with the vibrate off. Every other phone can do it including Nokias' Windows phones . Microsoft can you please enable this?

john doe126

Jul 2, 2018
Visit site
One way to disable the vibrate while the messaging app is open & the vibrate is set to off that I just found is to mute the conversation . The button to do this is found via the texting screen . Open a conversation, , push the 3 little dots at the bottom right hand corner of the screen & a menu will appear containing the mute conversation button . This wont allow an alternative texttone to sound but it will mute the default texttone & the vibrate.

john doe126

Jul 2, 2018
Visit site
When an alternative stock text tone or ringtone is selected ,the screen that this is done on needs to be made fullscreen by Microsoft not halfscreen ,we've got a big screen so allow us to use it. & Microsoft needs to put more space between the play button used to sample the tone & the word of the tone name button that's used to select it so that the two don't get pressed overlapping each other by accident, they're too close together & 4 times out of 5 you unintentionally hit the other button from the one you meant to press.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
One way to disable the vibrate while the messaging app is open & the vibrate is set to off that I just found is to mute the conversation . The button to do this is found via the texting screen . Open a conversation, , push the 3 little dots at the bottom right hand corner of the screen & a menu will appear containing the mute conversation button . This wont allow an alternative texttone to sound but it will mute the default texttone & the vibrate.
Ok I see. Muting individual text message conversations in the app. This will also block all notifications from that conversation when the phone is locked too right? Personally I don't mind the sound as much as the vibration. I can mute the sound by turning the volume all the way down. The vibration gets too me. In fact every phone I use I turn off vibration globally. Windows phones always have that lingering messaging app vibration though.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I see ,thanks .Is it supposed to be that way? It would seem that if I'm having a conversation via texting with the texting app therefore open that that's when I'd want to hear the alternative from default texttone sound for incoming texts & be able to do so with the vibrate off. Every other phone can do it including Nokias' Windows phones . Microsoft can you please enable this?
The default "nudge" text tone you hear while the app is open is unique only to the Messaging app while it is open. So it's the default tone while the app is open which is not a notification option changeable in Windows phones for some reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb