Is anyone else bothered?

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
If the desktop gets messy with icons on it, the Start menu is already messy full of tiles.
This is not a valid point.

Tiles were never designed for you to pin stuff somewhere. Go read up on the philosophy of tiles.
Also those same 2 in 1 users are already dealing with icons on the taskbar and on the desktop. It's not like they can only interact with pinned tiles otherwise they just can't do what they do. Yours seems to me a made up excuse for how you want to use tiles and Start the hacky way you do now.
, who cares about the 'philosophy', I just use what works efficiently. Tiles are less messy than icons because of before mentioned grouping/resizing capabilities and they also support tile colors etc (and as a bonus the live tiles features :winktongue: ). It is just a better version of icons and am giving you valid arguments but you cannot seem to comprehend that for some reason.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Tiles are less messy than icons because of before mentioned grouping/resizing capabilities

This is the very reason tiles are more messy. Icons are all exactly the same size, or rather they take up the same amount of space. I used Windows phones back in the day, but I never liked the UI. I think it's messy. I see screenshots of people's Windows phones' home screens, or after they're finished setting up their Android phones with Launcher10 or something, exclaiming about how beautiful it is, and I'm here thinking "Ughh, yuk!"

Either way, it's pretty much a non issue now. Windows phones are gone, and Live Tiles on desktop are almost gone. We've come full circle, and we're back to icons on the desktop. Evidently it's what the customers wanted, or it's what the OS designers wanted. We can talk wistfully about Live Tiles, but it's history.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I think the discussion originally started on how Microsoft lacks or is lacking attention to detail or even follow through in how they've executed their UI/Ux.

I for one, have a feeling they shifted a ton of focus to their mobile (wcos) or whatever they want to call it. Leaving a lot of the desktop users (Jane and Joe) with what we see now. If you start tracking it and looking it's not a huge issue for the average user but for us who knew wp or w10m know what it could be. W10 has aspects of all of the above intermingled together in what sometimes seems like a huge mess of code and services. Live tiles or not it's there if someone wants to use it. So is the classic star menu tablet mode accessibility for text size font changing taksbar size icon size everything. I'll give them an A for effort being able to incorporate every know feature Windows has had since w7 all in one...

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
This is the very reason tiles are more messy. Icons are all exactly the same size, or rather they take up the same amount of space. I used Windows phones back in the day, but I never liked the UI. I think it's messy. I see screenshots of people's Windows phones' home screens, or after they're finished setting up their Android phones with Launcher10 or something, exclaiming about how beautiful it is, and I'm here thinking "Ughh, yuk!"

Either way, it's pretty much a non issue now. Windows phones are gone, and Live Tiles on desktop are almost gone. We've come full circle, and we're back to icons on the desktop. Evidently it's what the customers wanted, or it's what the OS designers wanted. We can talk wistfully about Live Tiles, but it's history.
, but you don't have to use them, its optional. I really don't understand why having these options is such a bad thing.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
, who cares about the 'philosophy', I just use what works efficiently. Tiles are less messy than icons because of before mentioned grouping/resizing capabilities and they also support tile colors etc (and as a bonus the live tiles features :winktongue: ). It is just a better version of icons and am giving you valid arguments but you cannot seem to comprehend that for some reason.

Yeah over here we have a guy who likes wasted design and potential because...pinning, and he doesn't want to use his 2 in 1 in tablet mode with pen as he should, and - even though he is already using them with pen and touch - he is questioning desktop and taskbar icons, forcing billions of non-touch users to tolerate tiles in a place where they are useless. Because remember, he likes pinning stuff. And then goes on to say "who cares about philosophy" because, well, pinning.

As I said before, if Microsoft designed everything with poop emojis, you'd find someone who comes here and argues for it. If Microsoft gave you my exact design you'd be arguing in favor of it.

As designers we really have to admit Steve Jobs was right to some extent. Just force it down their throats. They'll gobble it up.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Yeah over here we have a guy who likes wasted design and potential because...pinning, and he doesn't want to use his 2 in 1 in tablet mode with pen as he should, and - even though he is already using them with pen and touch - he is questioning desktop and taskbar icons, forcing billions of non-touch users to tolerate tiles in a place where they are useless. Because remember, he likes pinning stuff. And then goes on to say "who cares about philosophy" because, well, pinning.

As I said before, if Microsoft designed everything with poop emojis, you'd find someone who comes here and argues for it. If Microsoft gave you my exact design you'd be arguing in favor of it.

As designers we really have to admit Steve Jobs was right to some extent. Just force it down their throats. They'll gobble it up.
, ok

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes