Major data connection (cellular) problems - anyone else experiencing?

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I am having major cellular data connection problems with my White Lumia 900. I was experiencing the same thing with my Samsung Focus S I had earlier, but it wasn't this bad. Keep in mind, I have updated my Lumia with the fix they released mid-April.

Basically, when I am on the LTE and/or 3G/HSPA+ connection (not using WiFi), I very frequently lose my data connection. Sometimes the loss only affects HTTP/HTTPS (the browser stops accessing web pages, and apps that use HTTP stop working, i.e., RSS readers) - my mailboxes (using ActiveSync for all of them) still keep working. And sometimes EVERYTHING (including email) just stops working.

The only way I can really get everything working again properly, apart from restarting the phone, is to toggle the Airplane Mode on/off, to shut off/on the cellular connection. Once I do that, everything works again.. for about 10 minutes before I lose my data connection again.

This issue never happens for me when I am on WiFi.

Thinking it was a bad SIM card, I went to the AT&T store yesterday and got a new SIM card. No luck, the issue is still occurring.

Please tell me someone else is experiencing the same issue.. it is getting ridiculous. I can't even use my phone anymore in a non-WiFi environment if I want to check news, sports scores, anything. I can, but I have to keep using Airplane Mode toggle to get it working again.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I have pretty much no data or wifi issues on my phone and i got on release day.

So if you are still under the grace period, i would just go and exchange for another phone. I would assume that your phone might be defective. It would suck to have to do all that stuff to get it working again.

Peace of mind, exchange until you get a good one.

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I purchased the phone on April 20, so the 30-day window has already expired.

Unless AT&T still does exchanges after 30 days?

streborc

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I am having major cellular data connection problems with my White Lumia 900. I was experiencing the same thing with my Samsung Focus S I had earlier, but it wasn't this bad. Keep in mind, I have updated my Lumia with the fix they released mid-April.

Basically, when I am on the LTE and/or 3G/HSPA+ connection (not using WiFi), I very frequently lose my data connection. Sometimes the loss only affects HTTP/HTTPS (the browser stops accessing web pages, and apps that use HTTP stop working, i.e., RSS readers) - my mailboxes (using ActiveSync for all of them) still keep working. And sometimes EVERYTHING (including email) just stops working.

The only way I can really get everything working again properly, apart from restarting the phone, is to toggle the Airplane Mode on/off, to shut off/on the cellular connection. Once I do that, everything works again.. for about 10 minutes before I lose my data connection again.

Thinking it was a bad SIM card, I went to the AT&T store yesterday and got a new SIM card. No luck, the issue is still occurring.

Please tell me someone else is experiencing the same issue.. it is getting ridiculous. I can't even use my phone anymore in a non-WiFi environment if I want to check news, sports scores, anything. I can, but I have to keep using Airplane Mode toggle to get it working again.

Are you a heavy data user that maxes out and overruns his monthly data capacity? I read an article several months ago that AT&T was going to begin punishing heavy users by throttling back their data access after they exceed their data plan limits. Are you finding that your data service is OK at the beginning of the month and gets bad later in the month?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't spend much time away from home and work, where I have a good WiFi connection. But my car broke down about 10 miles from home yesterday and after sending the necessary texts and calling AAA to send a tow truck I tried to do some browsing, but couldn't even though I had 3-4 bars of LTE. I though maybe WiFi (and the lack of a connection) was the problem, but still no go. So I used Airplane mode to toggle Data off/on and my connection started working.

My Tilt 2 used to have a problem sometimes when I moved from one tower to another, and required a soft reset to gain a connection. Wonder if this is an AT&T network problem. In the future, I am going to try and connect to data whenever I am away from my WiFi signals. Something I normally don't do unless I need something specific.

Btw, only using about 250MB on an Unlimited Plan, so nothing to do with throttling.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I figured out that the problem is my LTE radio - whenever I am connected through non-Wifi (LTE not 3G/HSPA+), my connection drops every 5-10 minutes.

I only use about 500MB of data per month (I have a 2GB plan), so the issue isn't with going over the limit.

Has anyone else had LTE-only data issues?

I'm going to take my phone to the local AT&T Warranty Servicing Center to see what they say.

jiffffy pop

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I figured out that the problem is my LTE radio - whenever I am connected through non-Wifi (LTE not 3G/HSPA+), my connection drops every 5-10 minutes.

I only use about 500MB of data per month (I have a 2GB plan), so the issue isn't with going over the limit.

I'm going to take my phone to the local AT&T Warranty Servicing Center to see what they say.
I just had the EXACT same problem as you. I took it to the Service Center and at first the just game me a new SIM card. I waited a day and I still was having the same problem. Went back in and and got a replacement phone covered under standard warranty. Just to note I have a Black Lumia and they did not have any in stock and got overnight shipping. So far not having any problems with my replacement.

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

I have the LTE drop problem but it happens once in a while not every couple of minutes as you describe. Also I would drop to HSPA+ and my data would still work but slow. I contacted Nokia and they said it is a problem with AT&T's network.

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I went to the local AT&T Service Center today and they are going to ship me a Refurbished Lumia 900 White. I'll give it a whirl when it comes in and see if the issue still exists.

Question- I have so much saved data (save games, etc.) that I will be losing when switching phones.. is there any way to back up my saved games on all the games currently on my phone?

jiffffy pop

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, you will lose all your game saves. There is no way to save them at this time. Any pics or videos might be on your SkyDrive as I have my phone automatically upload them there. Any phone numbers should be saved in the cloud. If you have any problems or questions feel free to ask.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I went to the local AT&T Service Center today and they are going to ship me a Refurbished Lumia 900 White. I'll give it a whirl when it comes in and see if the issue still exists.

Question- I have so much saved data (save games, etc.) that I will be losing when switching phones.. is there any way to back up my saved games on all the games currently on my phone?
Zune backs up your entire phone only when there is an update for your phone and backs up ONLY pictures on video every time you sync your phone. It is sad but if you want your phone game saves and all backed up every time you sync your phone then you need to buy a mac because wp connector backs up your entire phone every time you sync your phone.

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe this. The SAME issue is happening with the new phone I got. What are the odds of that happening?

What's strange is that I was traveling for business last week to Chicago and my phone never dropped the connection when on LTE over there.

Is it possible that the LTE service in a particular area is causing this issue? I don't even know where to begin reporting this to AT&T and getting it looked at...

Any ideas? Absolutely ridiculous.

sirgrant618

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Data issues

I am also having data connection issues. This was pre and is post the purple-hue fix. This is my second phone that has this problem; one that I bought in michigan and then exchanged at an AT&T store in Louisiana, so I doubt it's a :bad batch" issue. Reset the phone several times. Doesnt seem to fix the issue. I dont have LTE out here in Shreveport, LA, just "4G" and always good signal strength.

It's frustrating becuase you never know when it's going to happen, so you never know when you wont be able to send/recieve pic messages, download apps, check FB, nor do you know for how long you wont be able to.

If it helps: mine was made in Korea.

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I am also having data connection issues. This was pre and is post the purple-hue fix. This is my second phone that has this problem; one that I bought in michigan and then exchanged at an AT&T store in Louisiana, so I doubt it's a :bad batch" issue. Reset the phone several times. Doesnt seem to fix the issue. I dont have LTE out here in Shreveport, LA, just "4G" and always good signal strength.

It's frustrating becuase you never know when it's going to happen, so you never know when you wont be able to send/recieve pic messages, download apps, check FB, nor do you know for how long you wont be able to.

If it helps: mine was made in Korea.
I have done further troubleshooting and I have noticed that the issue ONLY occurs on LTE in a particular .5-1 mile radius. If I drive about 1 mile away, still having LTE, my connection doesn't go down at all.

So it looks like my work location, which is where the issues are occurring, has spotty LTE connectivity? I have full-bars though, is that still possible?

I contacted AT&T yesterday and told them of this issue. They claimed that they will put in a ticket to troubleshoot this, asked for the address and zip code, and said they should look into this within 2 weeks. Anyone else gone through this process before, or have experienced my issue?

Thanks..

sirgrant618

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I'll take extra care to keep track of when my data goews in and out. I live about 5 miles from work so I'll see if my connections holds while I'm there. That's far enough to potentially be on a different tower, correct?

When my connection goes down it's, like, down until it's damn well ready to come back. Often 15 - 30 minutes at a time.

*le sigh* I'll call AT&T and see if they have any suggestions.

sasy555

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

I have been having MAJOR issues with my Nokia through LTE and Wi-Fi. 50% of the time I am not receiving calls or texts, can't send text messages, and am unable to go on the internet. Everytime this happens I have to make a call to whomever to just get my phone to "wake up" again.

Now, I got the phone when it came out (actually 2 days prior to it's actual release date), had the same issues, did the update and continued with the issues. I went to AT&T and they replaced my phone with another Nokia. I have had even more problems with the new phone. I was making calls every week to AT&T to try and troubleshoot my phone and figure out what the **** was wrong with it. It's now gotten to the point that AT&T is sending me a completely different phone to try out to see if I have the same issues. If not, I have to send in my Nokia and keep the new phone. I'm not going to lie, i'm not too happy about this because I had been following the release of the Nokia to the US months before it got here. I have always loved Nokias and to finally get one again that was a smartphone on top of that made me excited.

I've had two that completely sucked (as far as the data connection is concerned) and have to go with a different phone. Not very happy.....:mad:

avmike

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a tethering data plan? If so, this is a known bug in Windows Phone. It affects both the Lumia and Focus S on AT&T. Short-term fix, remove tethering from your data plan and go back to a standard data plan.

The bug is fixed in Tango (the next release of Windows Phone). Tango has started to be distributed to the Focus S, and the Lumia's on other networks. No word yet on when it will be made available to the Lumia 900 on AT&T.

kinsey head

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i am have problems with my cellular data...it wont work i can olny get internet when conneted to wifi i also cant send or recive pic mesages or links... i have all replaced this phone once and dont want to do it again and this is relly pissing me off i just want it to work i dont know what to do!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes