HTC Titan on TMobile

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone had any luck using a Titan on T-Mobile's network. From my own experience, looks like it's not compatible even when unlocked.

The phone will only pick up 2G, E, or Edge data speeds...or not even pick up any data connection at all.

Wondering if there was a hidden setting that I can change to make it work.

Thanks!

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, I did a little extra research and looks like it will not be compatible at all. I'm going to get a full refund, but really hate to return this phone. Such a great device.

ody360

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
According to the Tmobile forums, they are acquiring more and more 1900 freq throughout the nation with the majority set by end of the year. Some people from Bellevue WA, and some places in SanFran have reportedly picked up higher speeds with their non-tmo device.

They aren't announcing when and where it will be available, but reports say its coming... I'm waiting for my areas to be confirmed before I reactivate data plan.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I believe you can still get this phone to work on T-Mobile, you just have to get an unlock code. However, you'll be stuck with 2G speeds until T-Mobile is done refarming their network (likely late 2013).

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Here is a link to an image that shows the markets that received the 1900mhz bands from AT&T. It's not a guarantee of coverage, but my Titan has gotten 3G in the Woodinville and Monroe WA area's...

at&t%20LTE%20700.gif

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi Zcarman, any other areas in WA that you've noticed 3G or no 3G? How about Seattle - Tacoma areas? Bremerton - Bainbridge Island?

Well, yes, there are quite a few areas coming on line across the Puget Sound area. The Map shows the allocation of the 1900mhz spectrum that was acquired, but it does not show when it will go active or how strong it is. T-Mobile doesn't care about your Titan as much as it does about getting those iPhone's online.

So far, I have had good luck in Woodinville/Kirkland/Redmond/Duvall - Tacoma/Lakewood/Puyallup - Lynnwood/Everett... It seems to concentrate on the I-5 drive and I-90/520 routes. It's been pretty consistent most of the way. I would doubt that Bremerton/Bainbridge has much yet - but who knows until you try?

Not on yet - Monroe/Snohomish (and east on Hwy 2)... Hwy 522 (spotty coverage on T-Mo as it is)... Hwy 203 from Monroe to Fall City...

It basically seems like T-Mo may have drawn a triangle from Everett to Bellevue (405) then Bellevue to Tacoma then from Tacoma to Everett and started there. I'd look for those coverage areas to come online very soon if they aren't already active. For the record, T-Mo won't say where their 1900 coverage is active.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
It will work, just have to pay to Carrier unlock it and live without 3G.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Unfortunately, it's information like this that makes everyone feel stupid - becuase it's not true...

The Titan shipped with the 1900mhz frequency radios in them. AT&T shuffled off a large chunk of 1900mhz spectrum to T-Mobile as part of their buyout settlement. These 1900mhz streams are now active in a few markets as T-Mobile attempts to steal iPhone users from AT&T or those that are upgrading to a 4/4s as a used device.

From the T-Mobile Websites: T-Mobile Steps Up ‘Bring your own iPhone’ Efforts | Issues & Insights Blog

"In fact, we?re already starting to turn up 4G HSPA+ service in our 1900 MHz spectrum. With sites already live in cities like Seattle, Las Vegas, Washington DC and the New York metro area, don?t be surprised to hear reports of iPhone ?speed sightings.? We expect to have these improvements deployed in a large number of markets later this year."

So, like I said, there are areas where the Titan will pull a solid 3G signal. These appear to be the Seattle area (as highlighted by my personal experience above), Las Vegas, DC and New York. These are also only 14.4Mbps sites not running the true 42.2Mbps like the new 4G T-Mo devices so real world speeds are going to be 5-8Mbps down.

Anyways, if any of you live in the markets listed above, grab the $30 T-Mo 5GB data plan and try out the speeds and report back!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
fact remains though why would you go to T-mo just to get ****ty coverage when you can get unlimited everything on Straight Talk with ATT coverage.

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I live by Snohomish WA (weird that there's so many of us from here?) specifically Camano Island. And I've been all the way to Everett just today... STILL no 3G/HSPA+ EVER sighted on my Focus S... Are you sure they're already started the rollout?

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
@inteller Actually, with Straight Talk you only get 100MB of data per day and 2GB max per month. After that they will discontinue your service. Yes, it's AT&T service, but only the same as the GoPhone coverage which is what every AT&T MVNO runs off of. That said, I still think the coverage is better than T-Mo, but until they update the Connection Setup App, you either lose your MMS or MSN services.

@thelastfoiter Welcome to the neighborhood... I'm in Monroe and only have 2G service here. It was the same in Snohomish (down the 522 run service is crap anyways) but the that triangle that I mentioned seemed to have pretty good coverage with 3G... Make sure to manually set the radio in your device to Auto or 3G Only (need to access the service menus for this feature) because the default setting will be 2G only when unlocked with a different SIM. I had this problem with my Lumia going with T-Mo as well... One quick change over and I was all set...

I think you access the menu with ##782# but I can't remember for sure.

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow so many people from Washington? Sorry to here you're from Monroe ;) But yeah 2G is a ***** and I can't WAIT to have 3G and HSPA+ in the coming months.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, it's information like this that makes everyone feel stupid - becuase it's not true...

The Titan shipped with the 1900mhz frequency radios in them. AT&T shuffled off a large chunk of 1900mhz spectrum to T-Mobile as part of their buyout settlement. These 1900mhz streams are now active in a few markets as T-Mobile attempts to steal iPhone users from AT&T or those that are upgrading to a 4/4s as a used device.

From the T-Mobile Websites: T-Mobile Steps Up ?Bring your own iPhone? Efforts | Issues & Insights Blog

"In fact, we?re already starting to turn up 4G HSPA+ service in our 1900 MHz spectrum. With sites already live in cities like Seattle, Las Vegas, Washington DC and the New York metro area, don?t be surprised to hear reports of iPhone ?speed sightings.? We expect to have these improvements deployed in a large number of markets later this year."

So, like I said, there are areas where the Titan will pull a solid 3G signal. These appear to be the Seattle area (as highlighted by my personal experience above), Las Vegas, DC and New York. These are also only 14.4Mbps sites not running the true 42.2Mbps like the new 4G T-Mo devices so real world speeds are going to be 5-8Mbps down.

Anyways, if any of you live in the markets listed above, grab the $30 T-Mo 5GB data plan and try out the speeds and report back!

I thought as part of the failed merger, AT&T gave T-Mobile more AWS (1700/2100), PCS (1900). The PCS that T-Mobile is moving HSPA+ to they already had, it was just being used for their 2G network (GSM and EDGE).

Anyway, part of the HSPA+ network is staying on AWS (so current phones don't suddenly lose HSPA+) while the rest of the AWS is for the LTE that's coming next year.

Snoops8

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have access to an unlocked ATT HTC Titan and haven't been able to get 3g speeds yet. Tried Kirkland and Seattle but even in Seattle where I have full reception it still just says Edge.

Tried the TestMyNet speedtest by Microsoft, it says my download speeds are 203.55 kbps.

Someone texted me what I think is a picture and I haven't been able to get that either. Also can't get visual voicemail working.

I did find however, the diagnostic menu. If you type in ##3282# you get access to a menu system that allows you to do a bunch of things of which I know nothing of. Per zcarman's advice I did find that my phone defaulted to '2g only'. However, when I switch to '3g only' or 'automatic' it appears the settings don't save, because every time I re-enter the diagnostic menu it shows as '2g only' again.

Edit:

Using HTC connection setup allows me to receive photos. I tried switching to '3g' and 'automatic' again, and for awhile it actually does stick in 'automatic' mode in the menu, but then reception disappears and I have no data speeds whatsoever.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3