DO NOT update to Tango + the Samsung Firmware update if you are on Straight Talk etc.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
UNLESS YOU HAVE A VALID BACKUP OF YOUR MANGO SETUP!!!!!

As can be evidenced by reading through a couple of other threads here the update to Tango breaks the ability to use Windowbreak so no more unlocking that handest for sideloading and homebrew.

While the Tango update should still allow you to ensure your APN settings for your third party carrier are intact, the Samsung OEM LE2 firmware update (which happens to fix the keyboard sound lag issue and the popping noise between music tracks when connected to AUX in on stereo) BREAKS THE SAMSUNG WIRELESS APN EDITOR APP!
You will no longer be able to go in and edit the APN settings once you apply the Samsung update.

Moral of the story here folks is DO NOT perform any update until you know for certain that you have a valid and working Mango backup.

It is possible to upgrade to Tango and the Samsung firmware update and keep settings for third party providers but it has to be done a very particular way (see my thread here).

Sorry for the bad news guys - obviously if you're on AT&T this will have no effect on you whatsover but a number of people are now using these handset on the MVNO services such as Straight Talk etc.

Last edited:

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Tango and Firmware update did not break the Samsung Wireless App..

I had no problem readding my Net10/ST Apn data in when I installed Tango with Wireless Manager. Tango did erase my settings But that was to be expected.

So what exactly is broken.setting up apn for AT&T is no problem.

But if you trying to put in tmobile apn then you may run out of characters..

do not put in http:// that is not needed..

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Tango and Firmware update did not break the Samsung Wireless App..

I had no problem readding my Net10/ST Apn data in when I installed Tango with Wireless Manager. Tango did erase my settings But that was to be expected.

So what exactly is broken.setting up apn for AT&T is no problem.

But if you trying to put in tmobile apn then you may run out of characters..

do not put in http:// that is not needed..

There's definitely something weird going on.

As you say, I've personally been able to recreate APN settings after the Tango update and even the firmware update but some people seem unable to do this.

Honestly I'm at somewhat of a loss as to why it works for some and not others. :straight:

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I'm at somewhat of a loss as to why it works for some and not others. :straight:

Perhaps they need a more visual guide to setting up Net10/ST with Wireless Manager, If I had another camera I would do the screenshots and make a visual guide.

I noticed that some people that upgrade to Tango, just not Samsung, but, all phone's.

Think that everything is still intact. When in fact they have to rebuild their apn data after Tango install.

Most likely they are forgetting to readd cellular apn first, rebooting the phone, then use Samsung Wireless Manager for the rest to change or add has needed..

If they have Wireless Manager in Auto mode they need to turn it off..

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I was unable to edit APN settings with Wireless Manager app as I was before the update. Under settings>cellular there is a place to add apn with these lines; APN (Access Point Name) User name, Password, Proxy server/URL, and Proxy port information. I did not touch this and it was left blank. I went straight to editing APNs in wireless manager and was unable to make any changes stick, meaning after save and exit they reverted back to default. I also tried deleting all APNs and rebuild but could not get a new APN to save and show up on screen.

Corepc, can you be more specific about "add cellular APN, reboot, edit APNs in wireless manager?"
Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Corepc, can you be more specific about "add cellular APN, reboot, edit APNs in wireless manager?"
Any info is greatly appreciated!!

You must have Cellular Apn, else will not work..

Settings->Cellular>edit or add Apn
apn name:att.mvno
proxy server: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
proxy port: 80

once you enter all info, save, and power off the phone and then restart. Go back and check cellular apn once again.

Now with Samsung Wireless Manager

Make sure Automatic APN is not turned on
Leave Active APN alone

Select Edit Apn

If setup correctly in Celluar Apn then with Samsung Wireless Manager, edit apn should show, and you should have a few at least 4 listed internet, mms, softap, bottom one is your sim card and those settings come from Cellular Apn settings from above. You may have wpsmobi_apn but do not worry about that one.

select to edit each one. You need to modify each field internet,mms,softap , and follow this

Net10/StraighTalk AT&T Apn Settings for Wireless Manager

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Corepc, I will try this as soon as a receive my phone back from Samsung warranty dept. for the fourth time. If this works it will be a huge help to those who have updated and are using a different carrier than ATT. Maybe somebody else can confirm this work-around in the meantime. Thanks:D

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Finally got my updated to 8773 Focus S back from warranty repair and was able to update cellular APN and then edit APNs for straight talk with Wireless Manager application. I edited the cellular APN first, then mms etc... All is working at this point. I asked Samsung to look at the APN issue while away for warranty, don't know if they did anything to my phone besides replace touch screen. Good luck to all!

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Redeyss , welcome back, and glad everything is working and glad that I could help..

It still won't work for me. The only field which I am unable to successfully change is MMSC,

You are not supposed to edit the MMSC (Activated), only the apn, proxy address, proxy domain, proxy port..

If you are still having problem with MMSC try using this apn instead under MMSC

mms2.tracfone.com

see this on howard forums

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Redeyss , welcome back, and glad everything is working and glad that I could help..

You are not supposed to edit the MMSC (Activated), only the apn, proxy address, proxy domain, proxy port..

If you are still having problem with MMSC try using this apn instead under MMSC

mms2.tracfone.com

see this on howard forums

It literallly will not save anything I put in that field. It always reverts to the Cingular MMSC. I'm going to try leaving the SIM/battery out for a while as suggested. Which makes me realize: it worked out of the box (bought it from XDA for $180!)... So maybe that's because the battery had been out for so long. But it wasn't unlocked when I first got it.. Hm who knows.

kleinbiker

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
You must have Cellular Apn, else will not work..

If setup correctly in Celluar Apn then with Samsung Wireless Manager, edit apn should show, and you should have a few at least 4 listed internet, mms, softap, bottom one is your sim card and those settings come from Cellular Apn settings from above. You may have wpsmobi_apn but do not worry about that one.

Net10/StraighTalk AT&T Apn Settings for Wireless Manager

In my case, after adding the cellular APN and rebooting, in Samsung Wireless Manager Edit APN, I see only 1 entry which is a GUID. Unlike Corepc I don't see 4 entries. When I select that GUID entry I get a message "You can only view information about this APN. To edit go to settings menu, select cellular and edit apn". When I click ok on that message I can see the internet profile category settings that I specified in the cellular APN. I could revert back to my backup without Samsung update but am curious why the behavior is different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes