Sending SMS and receiver is getting ASCII characters instead of text

hellerz85

May 16, 2011
Visit site
So i convinced a friend of mine to get the Lumia 822. But there is one bug he found. When he sends texts to one particular person, the receiver ends up getting gibberish on the other end, basically all she gets is the ASCII character, or random symbols. Before, he had the Iphone, and he never had the problem. This person on the other end does have a really old flip phone. I tried sending text to her with my Lumia 920, and she receives it fine. He doesn't seem to have this problem, with anyone else he texts.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? I was thinking it was a Verizon network thing. But I'm not sure. And i always thought there was type of setting in the phone, that you could switch the SMS encoding. But i cant find it anywhere.

Has anyone seen this type of issue before?

Thanks!

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Was it an iPhone 5? Long stretch, but if he just swapped SIMs, that may be the issue, but unlikely.

If you keep having the issue, I'd call Verizon's tech support. Once you reach their next tier of support, you get crazy awesome service. They love to tackle things like this, and can diagnose a lot of issues within the account, if it's an account issue after all.

hellerz85

May 16, 2011
Visit site
He had an iPhone 4 on Verizon and the person he is texting is also on Verizon. Well, from what i can see...atleast some people have this issue. I told him to call verizon tech support.

CasvalRemDeikun

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased my Lumia 822 today and have been experiencing this issue while trying to text my wife on her Blackberry Curve. I called Verizon regarding this and they did not have a solution. I tried resetting my phone to factory settings, and this also did not have an effect. Lastly, I called Nokia themselves, and they seem to think this issue is related to the Blackberry, not the Lumia. However, I have never had an issue texting my wife in the past, with any of the three or four phones I have had while she has had this particular Blackberry. Based on this thread, I am also disinclined to believe it is the Blackberry, not the Lumia. This is very frustrating, since this is the person I make 95% of my texts to.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Another development, if I send an MMS to my wife with text attached, it is readable.

I don't know for sure, but in my mind, this suggests to me more of a liklihood of it being on Verizon's side, though I'm surely no cellular guru. The reason that I say this, though, is because text messaging goes through normal digital voice traffic, and if I understand correctly, MMS goes through data traffic. I could certainly be wrong, but it's worth investigating.

espete

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
It happens when I text my brothers on their Palm Pres, both on Verizon and when I text my mom's basic Samsung phone on Verizon. I guess its good to know I'm not the only one with this issue. When I went in to my corporate store they were thinking it was just because I ported my number in from Sprint and needed to wait the 72 hours for the port to finalize.

snulph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the 822 Lumia phone with the same issue. Sending text messages just show squares and/or foreign characters. I was on the phone with tech support at VZW and they finally told me to get a new phone. Went to the store and got a new phone and the same issue is occurring. We tested sending mms and the text is received just fine along with the picture. The other strange thing is that we found the problem is not with all basic phones. I have been able to send texts to 2 other contacts that I do know have a basic phone. They receive the text just fine.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
My daughters 822 has also experienced this same issue when texting one of her friends. All of her other friends receive her texts fine.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, is this occurring when you use the new picture smileys? Or with regular texts? Because I sent a text with just one of the new pic smileys on it, and the person receiving it had a feature phone, and got garbled ascii. This was with a 920 btw.

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
At least they're getting something, be it ASCII characters; I have a text from a friend with iPhone 4 on AT&T that will not delete. It comes back regardless of what I do.

CasvalRemDeikun

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I do have a question for everyone experiencing this issue. Was the person who is getting the first person you texted on the Lumia 822? It was for me. Just seeing if there is a pattern or if this is just a coincidence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos