Can the 521 do MMS over WiFi?

Aaron M

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I know the WiFi Calling feature allows for calls and texts, but can it also handle MMS? My hope is that getting my wife the 521 with WiFi Calling will solve all her reception woes within our ever sense we switched to T-Mo a few months back.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Nope. The 521 uses 3rd generation Wifi Calling, which currently does not have support for MMS, only SMS at this time. The technology it uses has advantages over first generation (what tmobile used to use) because it does not require specific expensive device hardware additions, technically, and supports more carrier services, but a drawback with it is that its still fairly new, and MMS, Visual Voicemail, as well as call transference (when you leave the wifi range, it transfers your current ongoing call over to cellular) are not currently supported.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I know the WiFi Calling feature allows for calls and texts, but can it also handle MMS? My hope is that getting my wife the 521 with WiFi Calling will solve all her reception woes within our ever sense we switched to T-Mo a few months back.

No. No phone can. This is a limitation of the MMS spec, in that all MMS messages flow over a specific APN. That is to say, your phone's regular Internet access can flow over any medium - WiFi, 3G, whatever. But MMS messages must be transferred over an MMS APN, which must be set up differently from the APN that handles all your other Internet traffic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duncekatie39