Help cant decide lumia 2520 or surface 2?

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The Nokia tablet has better CPU, LTE, GPS, NFC and other sensors + a ZEISS camera, its really no contest with the severaly lacking Surface 2.
The only thing going for the Surface 2 is the full USB port, and I kind of like the Surface design better with the full metal construction, but thats more of a personal preference.

The bottom line is the internals of the Nokia tablet blow away the Surface 2 by a mile.

If you can get your hands on a non-carrier 2520 for $499 then that's definitely the way to go. If non-carriers versions are not available then it's not worth getting because you will have limited and locked LTE and possibly problems with future Windows updates if the carriers have any of their dirty hands on it.

Lol Tegra 4 beats Snapdragon 800 so no the 2520 does not have a better CPU also Surface 2 allows bigger sd cards and has a better GPU and a better ffc which is far more useful than rear camera on a tablet, Also Surface 2 has TV-Out via hdmi which the Lumia doesn't have and Surface 2 has 2 years full sky drive and Skype for free.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
okay guys keep it clean it hasnt been released yet so we cannot really assume which one is faster

Both the processors are already on the market and its already a fact that Surface 2 has a faster processor than the one in the Lumia and the other specs such as same software and same of amount of ram means its not hard to figure out which will be the fastest tablet.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Lol Tegra 4 beats Snapdragon 800 so no the 2520 does not have a better CPU also Surface 2 allows bigger sd cards and has a better GPU and a better ffc which is far more useful than rear camera on a tablet, Also Surface 2 has TV-Out via hdmi which the Lumia doesn't have and Surface 2 has 2 years full sky drive and Skype for free.

They both have mini HDMI ports and both can display onto TVs via that port

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
wow an amazing detailed answer but i feel you were pro L2520 but i really found this helpful and will now most likely go for the lumia thanks so much for helping me to finnally come to a conclusion

I'm sorry it was because a) I hadn't slept for for 24 hours.. had to much coffee and lucazade (energy drink) - Like today as well -.- I need a new job lol b) I had just finished looking up on the Lumia 2520. Currently looking at the surface 2, in terms of tablet fitting your needs it really depends what you are going to be using it for. So the best thing to do is make detailed check list listing what you want to do with your tablet.

Me personally I need something on the go and currently tether my hp probook 4730s to my Lumia 920. Unfortunately my laptop is dying on me, (down to 1-2 hr per charge as opposed to the usual 7-9 per charge - 0 brightness, everything on powersaver + hibernate :p)

lol except the 2520 doesn't have a full size USB port so you cant plug that thing in and whoever is on about the bezel loo, the bezel is the frame around the screen which is about the same size on both devices

Well i can just plug it into the the cover :p (ill get a 4gb or something to test it out first lol).

Last edited:

Ahmed Bilal

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Thats alright need a job too ;) yeah the whole battery life thing is important. most people are saying that the full size usb is not there but youre right can easily use the cover. pretty much decided to get the lumia 2520 thanks again guys

calebcre

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Both the processors are already on the market and its already a fact that Surface 2 has a faster processor than the one in the Lumia and the other specs such as same software and same of amount of ram means its not hard to figure out which will be the fastest tablet.

Snapdragon 800 actually has a faster clock speed of 2.2 GHz.

http://m.cnet.com/news/qualcomm-microsofts-surface-2-cant-compare-to-nokias-windows-tablet/57609343#!

It is debatable which will be faster in real life situations though. I know Microsoft optimizes their products to run faster (informed by a worker at the Microsoft store) but the processor in the Lumia has a higher clock speed.
Personally I am super sold on the Lumia design, so unless the surface speed blows the Lumia out of the water, I'll probably go the the Lumia.

birdymkr

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have recently played with both and own a Surface Pro. There's really something about the Nokia design and finish that captured my interest. The red is so sexy and feels perfect in hand. While I'll keep my pro the new Nokia tablet will be at my side wherever I go. I believe it has potential to finally compete with the Apple offerings and change minds regarding RT.

bjax

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I have recently played with both and own a Surface Pro. There's really something about the Nokia design and finish that captured my interest. The red is so sexy and feels perfect in hand. While I'll keep my pro the new Nokia tablet will be at my side wherever I go. I believe it has potential to finally compete with the Apple offerings and change minds regarding RT.

How were you able to play with both? Is the 2520 out somewhere? I don't understand why no official release dates are out yet.

Wendy Bautista

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I really want the 2520 but since its lte only I think I'm going with the surface pro 2. I don't want to pay for the tablet and pay for my phone

bjax

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I really want the 2520 but since its lte only I think I'm going with the surface pro 2. I don't want to pay for the tablet and pay for my phone

When you say "it's LTE only" and "pay for the tablet and pay for my phone", do you mean as in paying for data? Cause you could always buy the tablet off-contract and just use the wi-fi.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
i plan to see both in person when it is out in the stores, and make decision then. want to see how they feel in the hands, how keyboards differ, screen color etc.

i'm leaning on nokia now, since the nokia software apps seems a bit more special, GPS and Here maps, plus its ability to make calls/txt when tethered to a lumia phone which i have.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster