I'm Done Playing

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Wanted to do a clean install of 10074, so I downloaded the ISO, burned the DVD and began. Installed on separate drive tp dual boot with Win 7, as I have been doing.

Install seemed to go okay until I wanted to return to Win7. Dual boot was not installed; UEFI defaulted to the TP, and I have to manually select the Win 7 drive at startup. For kicks I tried re-downloading the ISO (yes I check the hash) and doing a Flash Drive install. Install seemed to go okay (had an Explorer fault, but didn't seem major). Again no dual boot option, and Update just spins its wheels.

Prior to this I've had no major issues that I couldn't fix quickly, but really don't have the time to delve into the intricacies. Unless anyone has great insight into the problem I'm probably going to sit out the rest of the TP.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Wanted to do a clean install of 10074, so I downloaded the ISO, burned the DVD and began. Installed on separate drive tp dual boot with Win 7, as I have been doing.

Install seemed to go okay until I wanted to return to Win7. Dual boot was not installed; UEFI defaulted to the TP, and I have to manually select the Win 7 drive at startup. For kicks I tried re-downloading the ISO (yes I check the hash) and doing a Flash Drive install. Install seemed to go okay (had an Explorer fault, but didn't seem major). Again no dual boot option, and Update just spins its wheels.

Prior to this I've had no major issues that I couldn't fix quickly, but really don't have the time to delve into the intricacies. Unless anyone has great insight into the problem I'm probably going to sit out the rest of the TP.

So I'm confused - are you actually able to boot into Windows 10 or not? Are you sure you set it to dual-boot alongside Windows 7? If so, you can hit Windows + R and type in msconfig. From there, you can change the default OS to boot straight to Windows 7.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
So I'm confused - are you actually able to boot into Windows 10 or not? Are you sure you set it to dual-boot alongside Windows 7? If so, you can hit Windows + R and type in msconfig. From there, you can change the default OS to boot straight to Windows 7.

Win10 installs; I can boot into it, run it no problem. What the install doesn't do is establish the OS boot options. The boot section in msconfig (in Win 7 & Win 10) only lists one OS; unlike previous Win10 installs it does not add the Dual Boot (second OS) option at startup, or add them for msconfig to use..

9926 automatically made it dual boot running setup from an ISO; 10074 did not.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

Did you change the boot order in BIOS to boot from the separate drive before install or did you just select this drive as target for the install after booting from the DVD? The first option will not install dual boot, the second will.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Did you change the boot order in BIOS to boot from the separate drive before install or did you just select this drive as target for the install after booting from the DVD? The first option will not install dual boot, the second will.
Just repeated the process:

Installed WIN10TP 10074 on a separate drive. Boot options in BIOS were as they have always been (including W10-9926). Install runs normally (except for an explorer error that occurs toward the end - this has been consistent with all clean 10074 installs from the 64bit ISO). I let the install complete, and go through Win Update; it completes this time. Reboot to complete update; no Windows boot options -- boots straight to WIN10. I reboot, go to BIOS setup. There are no boot devices listed in the BIOS. I reboot again, and go to the BIOS boot menu. The are several options; the WIN10 drive, some USB devices and the DVD drives. My WIN7 drive is not in the list of options.

I shut down, disconnect the WIN10 drive, and boot to WIN 7. No problems. Restart, and check the BIOS -- all normal boot devices are properly listed.

The WIN10 install does not provide the dual boot option it previously installed. I've done this four times now; same result. . .

I suspect the UEFI information is not being properly written to the WIN10 drive, and therefore not being passed on to the BIOS when it reboots. I'm not real conversant with UEFI and how it works. . .

ETA: The BIOS reported a Boot Manager on the WIN10 disk; it doesn't report one on the WIN 7 disk.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes