Update 10166 not updating to 10240

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Have 10166 running on a machine that I installed it on weeks ago. I created an ISO from that install today. Then, today I got a new machine from Dell (work machine) with 8.1 on it. I upgraded it in place (choosing the option to "keeping nothing" figure it would be a cleaner install) to 10166 today from the ISO I created. Windows is showing activated. When I go in to updates and look for updates, it doesn't find 10240. Windows is showing it's activated, so that shouldn't be it.

Anyone have ideas why it won't update? Does MS know that I only updated to 10166 from 8.1 today, after they closed the insider program? It's the only thing I can figure. Well, that or their servers are slammed and I'm getting rejected.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Same issue for me. I updated my home Lenovo Desktop PC to the RTM build last night with no problems but now my Surface Pro 3 will not see the update. It's stuck on 10166 still. It's not limiting the RTM build to just one Microsoft ID, is it?

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Same thing for me but with 10162. My Dell Venue 8 Pro recognized the update straight away but my Dell Venue 11 Pro will not. It just keeps saying that it's already up-to-date.

My Surface Pro 2 at work recognized the update and downloaded it just fine as well. Only my V11P doesn't see it. Have tried rebooting, switching between slow/fast rings again, restarting Windows Update service. Nothing has worked so far.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Last night, I changed from the fast ring to the slow ring thinking it might force it into checking with no luck. Changed it back to fast, no luck. I decided since my desktop had 10240 installed, I was going to use esd decrypter to create an ISO. On a last ditch effort, changed it to slow ring again this a.m. after I dragged it back into the office, checked for updates again and it worked! It's now running 10240.

Be forewarned that you might need a different version of esd decrypter than the one mentioned in the article I linked with the correct key for it to work to generate the 10240 ISO. I found a link to one on mydigitallife.info.

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Just ran an update check again without changing anything, still set to Fast ring... It saw the update and is downloading now! Yay!

So I guess just have patience and it should see the available update before too long.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
The updater doesn't even find an update,

It didn't find one for me last night, either, but after changing from fast to slow ring, this morning it did find it. I tried that last night and I have no idea why it didn't work then but did this morning so it may be worth it to keep checking.

and no, I won't mess with ISO... I'm nt really tech savy enough for that :p

Knowing your limits is a good thing. Better than having to recover a messed up system!

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Just have to wait. I couldn't get it to download 10240 at all yesterday from build 10166. Today it worked first time checking for updates. 10240 doesn't seem like RTM release to me. Might be RC. I ran DXDIAG and it says DirectX11. IE11 still has smiley face.

kareem09

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
mine was stuck for hours at 72% during the update and I aborted. now I cant get it back. deleted 4GB of temp files in the disk cleanup tool hoping to trigger it finding an available update again but no luck.

any suggestions for that (im not too keen on ISO route either btw)

WizardCM

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Here I am, stuck on 10162. 10166 never showed up, and still waiting on 10240. Switched to Slow ring, we'll see what happens.

gakubuchi

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I have two machines, one with 10162 and another with 10166. Windows Update says they both are up to date :cry:
I have changed from slow to fast rings, restarted/shut down thousands of times, changed locale to us-EN, applied registry hacks, etc. and still not getting 10240.......
I hope it is just a matter of patience.

stokes1510

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Same here. I have two machines, one with 10162 and another with 10166. Windows Update says they both are up to date :cry:
I have changed from slow to fast rings, restarted/shut down thousands of times, changed locale to us-EN, applied registry hacks, etc. and still not getting 10240.......
I hope it is just a matter of patience.
I'm stuck on build 10074 on my hp stream 7

CWood11

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Try uninstalling some of the previous updates. Settings>Update&Security>WindowsUpdate>Advanced Options>ViewUpdateHistory>UninstallUpdates

Check to see if any of them didn't finish installing and start with those.

gakubuchi

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion.
Unfortunately all my updates have been installed correctly. They are mostly Windows Defender updates, but also some drivers (nvidia and synaptics), some Language Pack Features and the "Feature on Demand for X64 (Insider Hub)", all installed correctly.
For the other updates (going to Settings>Update&Security>WindowsUpdate>Advanced Options>ViewUpdateHistory>UninstallUpdates), there are only some related to Visual C++ redistributablem and Adobe Reader DC, and all of them seems correct.
My destiny is to have 10166 till the end of the days.... :crying:

NeoGohan

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I just updated from 10166 to 10240 through Windows Update just now. Looks like they enabled updates again. :) The evaluation text in the bottom right disappeared so I assume this is 10240 after that update. Verified it running winver.

Japser

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I just updated from 10166 to 10240 through Windows Update just now. Looks like they enabled updates again. :) The evaluation text in the bottom right disappeared so I assume this is 10240 after that update. Verified it running winver.

They never disabled them. There was a problem with WU which caused build 10240 not to be offered to some people. This issue apparently fixes itself for most people after a couple of days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte