Windows 10 Mobile build 10549! How do you like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiba85

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I installed build 10549 today and I found that under lockscreen settings it let you turn off the screen by double tapping on the navigation bar (between the soft buttons). Little but convenient feature.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
After a few days, battery life has gotten better for me. As usual, it always seems to take a few days for it to do whatever it is doing before it stabilizes.

Still plenty of little bugs, but overall I am OK with keeping this build for now.

GunplaGamer

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Wish my Lumia 1020 would actually update to this...still stuck on 10166...I just restored on the phone and will try again. I only have access to a Mac and no access to a Windows License / computer.

f1saurabh

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty excited for windows mobile 10 and want to try it ever since. But the list of known issue always hold me up as there was some critical loss of functionality which I needed as I have only one windows phone (lumia 730) and I can't take risk as my daily driver. Build 549 doesn't have any major known issue and thus finally decided to take the plunge.
Install the windows insider app and start the upgrading process from 8.1. BTW I didn't reset 8.1 and upgraded with my all my apps and data.
Upgrade process went smooth and my phone was on windows mobile 10 TP. There was a perceivable lag and lots of loading and resuming and random app crashing, therefore decided to do hard reset, opt for to sign in later only to found you cannot restore your backup (my list of app installed was needed). So hard reset once again now to sign in right from the beginning and restore from backup. It was cumbersome to say the least. Here are my impression and observation of build 549 :-
1. Been stable and not even a single random crash.
2. There still perceivable lag as compared to windows phone 8.1 in unlocking (there is splash screen of choosen accent colour before showing the lock screen), start screen swiping, apps loading, and in overall responsive of the phone. But it's not that bad and I am already getting used to it.
3. SMS and Outlook tiles are not updating to show unread mails (same for desktop) and sms.
4. Apps crash when trying to access file system through file explorer.
5. Battery life is comparable to windows phone 8.1 and I got through the 24 hours without charge (I am lucky ??)
6. No heating issue.
7. Apps in background list have multiple entries of the same app.
8. Edge is slow and no option to change my homepage (or did I miss something ?).
9. Lumia camera show there is a better option. I obliged and uninstalled the lumia camera. :)
10. Random brightness issue (sudden increase of brightness to its fullest and I mean really bright). Workaround by resetting brightness from settings>extras>display. BTW why two display settings, should have merge them both.
11. Store function fine with very few niggle. Also on this note if they are release a whole build, why not do with latest apps on board. I mean there were 50 plus app updates on startup.
12. Not turned on cortana even once.
13. Notices how app data is now not counted in app section but showing in "Other". Also moving apps from phone to SD card and vice versa is slow. Also was able to move some critical settings app (display,sound etc.) from phone to SD card but then revert them back to fear of unnecessary new issues.
14. TXT files saved on my onedrive are not opening on onenote.
Overall I am happy with the build as my daily driver and will continue with windows mobile 10.

Panzer105

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Much more stable than the last build, still a few glitches. Not all apps work with Windows 10 Mobile. Battery life is much better. Been using it on a Lumia 920 for several days. Performance is also much better.

Tomhowe

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone installed this on a 520? I'm mostly just too busy to update, but I wonder if it's loading the start screen reliably on the 520 in this build.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This build was better in respects to less of a stutter between app switching, the WC app loaded much quicker, over all smoothness was improved... but here's the "but monkey"... My Icon ran so hot and the battery drained 80% in two hours!. From fully charged to 20% inside two hours. And this was constant... I tried this build for 2 days with limited apps running. I rolled back to 8.1 sunday morning. Battery drops 8% in 2 hours now.

They've got to do something about the heat and battery drain. It has been horrible on every build and even more so on this one. I left feedback them feedback about it.

dbam987

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
The 10549 build is now my official driver, after a timely "Fast Ring Configuration Update" arrived on the Lumia 735. There are a few small issues here and there that I've spotted, but overall I can perform my critical tasks without fail and in timely fashion.

People tell me I'm crazy for switching to the Windows Phone / Mobile platform (yet again), but here I am *very* satisfied my my setup.

Brett Sites

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Lumia Icon user. Tried a few days as a clean update to Win8.1 and it seemed to work ok, except no Hey Cortana. Did a reset so it would just be Win10 and still no Hey Cortana. Not sure why this was removed when the Icon is fully capable. I use an LG wireless headset. Unable to tap the phone button to talk to Cortana to make calls or send texts. I have to use the Search button on the phone and then click the mic to speak. I'm also unable to use the play/pause button to start Groove music. I can pause tracks, pick up the playback, and skip tracks, but can't start Groove like I could Xbox Music on 8.1.

I still get the Loading screen at times when starting the phone. It takes a while for the Start screen to load, but eventually does. I don't know if it's related to the amount of tiles I use on the Start screen so I've removed a bunch to see what happens. I like tile folders to put apps in instead of using the app menu to get to everything. I'll see how it starts responding now that I've reduced that.

I'm not getting as much heat emanating from the phone with this build. I'm not sure if that makes the battery life better or not, yet, either. I'm still not impressed with the battery life of Win10 on my Icon, though. Maybe this new Cortana fix they are talking about will be the one that helps.

My Icon has to be cooled down just to upgrade from Win8.1 to 10 and even doing a Phone Reset to 10. I have to set it on ice to keep from overheating and causing a continuous reboot loop.

Once loaded, Win10 seems to work ok. Just seems a lot of issues still need to be worked out. I like the new look and feel and this build is definitely snappier than previous builds. Just a few issues that make it work better for me, such as being able to use the headset to wake Cortana to make calls like I could in Win8.1 and the last Win10 build.

On the right path.

yardmanflex

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Mobile Build 10166 - 10536 how do you like it?

It runs like a dog on my 1520...it just keep loading........and would not go home....went back to 8.1.

ShadySj

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Yep i tried it ! i have a lumia 640xl and it's running so smoothly , all apps installed , all features works , everything fine

skynet1511

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Previous build was less optimized and slower, but much less buggy!
With the new one i reported tens of bugs that were not there before!
I am getting really hopeless to see a decent working build by december. And looking at the huge amount of still open bugs (on every aspect of the OS, from core apps to the system itself) i would say there are no chances! Maybe by April Windows 10 mobile could be as it should.

fjordstrom

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
After going back to 8.1 on Sunday, I couldn't resist giving this build another go.

I resetted my 8.1 completely first before upgrading to W10M and my experience is suddenly better. (Earlier, I just upgraded 8.1 to W10M, migrating all my data, which lead to heating of the phone and battery drain)

Battery life is SO much better now. Unplugged my phone at 7 AM and after work, at 5 PM my battery still was 70 %. The phone just slightly heats up now when doing simple stuff, but it's way cooler than before. I don't have lag, but now and then I do get the "Loading" screen, so I might do a new hard reset tonight.

I'm right now installing the 10549.4 update and hope the battery will become even better while waiting for a new build. I miss Cortana though...

(on Lumia 930)

Kenny7

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
For those L1020 users who do hard reset for some reasons and want to get your lumia camera app back, you might want to try downloading it from "my library" in store. I did and manage to use it again.

thanks! I have tried this on previous build and did not on the actual 10549. I also got my lumia camera back now.
on my 1020 also battery staticstics are working. only problem with this build is that hotspot is not stable for more than a minute, but i hardly need it

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
For the first time in 3 years my 920 has been resetting while using it. It started two days ago, haven't installed any new apps since the day after the new build came out. The reset is odd though. I'll wave over the screen to activate Glance, then double tap or press the power button to open the lock screen. Glance turns off, the screen goes black but still backlit, the capacitive buttons are not lit. I press the power button and try double tapping again, the Nokia logo appears as usual, but no Windows icon or AT&T splash screen like when powering off or soft resetting. Twice when this happened the start screen came up and the Mail icon was absent from the tile and mail opened 10 seconds after pressing it, but most icons are gone from All Apps page too until mail opened. If it keeps happening I'll just hard reset. Cortana has been very slow too, and changing my words to slightly different words with similar text after pressing search. She needs a vacation or mental health day.

EDIT: I performed a hard reset with no restore immediately after installing the new build.

Last edited:

DigitalZ

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
I really don't understand the range of experiences here. I can only assume we are taking different paths to installing the build. I'm on an 830 that was on the previous fast ring build and decided to take the plunge. I installed the latest Device Recovery Tool and moved the 830 back to 8.1. I re-installed the Insider App and let the new build install and then I applied the small update that came afterward. I did not restore from backup.

I then did the hard reset and again chose not to restore from backup. After all the app updates were completed I proceeded to use the 830 as my daily driver. I did not turn off Cortana and have done medium usage today of my usual activity. After 10 hours since last plugged in I am at 50% battery capacity. Cortana is reporting more battery usage than I usually see but nothing like some folks are reporting. I am easily lasting the entire day before needing to plug in again.

anon(5680040)

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
10549 does not slow down day by day.
But many tiles in start screen leads to ...loading...loading... after reboot or soft reset.
Battery drains faster than previous build.
Central takes 7-10 seconds to open...
Rest is ok for a preview build

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I know this won't be everyone's problem, but guessing by some of the responses here, people aren't giving their phones the time to restore content perform all updates before judging battery life. On my Icon, I went from 10536 to 8.1 via the tool, restored my backup, updated to Denim, then updated to 10549 allowing for updates to occur. I did this last night before I went to bed. During this process, the phone uses a lot of battery and is constantly downloading stuff, so I keep it plugged in and on WiFi. I then let it do its thing over night, without me touching it. It still had some updates I had to force this morning, but since doing that, my battery life is on par with 8.1, and far superior to what it was on 10536. I didn't do any hard resets with this build, just a couple of soft resets when needed for some updates. This phone is now running very well with performance not that far from 8.1.

We have seen a lot of people in the past from when the 8.1 TP came out, who think they are getting poor battery life during the first day right after they update when it's just the phone getting all of the updates and downloading all of the backup content that needs to load (this seems to be especially so with Messages where some people have 2 years worth that they want to upload to their phone). And, I have Cortana on, BTW. The Cortana bug is supposed to affect a number of users but not everyone, from what I remember.

Lloyd_S

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I liked it for the most part, but it bogs down so much in my 1020. Like others I restored the device back to 8.1, installed Windows Insider and installed 10549 via Fast Ring. It runs better than previous versions but the phone is slow to respond for most apps. I cannot change Quick Links in Notifications as it shuts down the app every time I try and make a change. Cortana is so slow to respond and crashes 50% of the time when I try and make settings changes. In fact it took four tries to get it to stay open to set Quiet Hours.

I have 10536 on my 1520 and I added to 10549 to my 1020 for Lumia Camera. I can say the camera works as well as it did under 8.1. All-in-all I am not happy with 10549 on the 1020 because it is just so laggy and too many apps close as soon as they open (Maps, Here Drive, Here Maps, OneNote, and Settings). After reading about the issues others were having I did a hard reset after installing 10549. If this is better than running it without first doing the hard reset but I don't think it helped.

Battery life by the way is very good. Made it a full day with normal use with no problems. The 1020 could've made it through the night without a charge if I wanted.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I know this won't be everyone's problem, but guessing by some of the responses here, people aren't giving their phones the time to restore content perform all updates before judging battery life. On my Icon, I went from 10536 to 8.1 via the tool, restored my backup, updated to Denim, then updated to 10549 allowing for updates to occur. I did this last night before I went to bed. During this process, the phone uses a lot of battery and is constantly downloading stuff, so I keep it plugged in and on WiFi. I then let it do its thing over night, without me touching it. It still had some updates I had to force this morning, but since doing that, my battery life is on par with 8.1, and far superior to what it was on 10536. I didn't do any hard resets with this build, just a couple of soft resets when needed for some updates. This phone is now running very well with performance not that far from 8.1.

We have seen a lot of people in the past from when the 8.1 TP came out, who think they are getting poor battery life during the first day right after they update when it's just the phone getting all of the updates and downloading all of the backup content that needs to load (this seems to be especially so with Messages where some people have 2 years worth that they want to upload to their phone). And, I have Cortana on, BTW. The Cortana bug is supposed to affect a number of users but not everyone, from what I remember.

Nah. I know for certain I had all the updates and syncs were done. On the third day it was dropping fast and over heating while doing basic usage.

Upgraded from a fresh 8.1 to 10, then hard reset 10 with no backup restore. Let the store do it thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon