Windows 10 Mobile - Resetting Icon / Thumbnail Cache?

Partybooper

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Hello.

It seems I am experiencing a heavily corrupted icon / thumbnail / folder cache on my Lumia 950 XL, currently on Fast Ring build 10.0.14393.3.
This corrupted thumbnail cache exists for a long time now for me, I want to avoid a hard reset just to reset the thumbnail cache at all costs. I also have file system access and tried to find the "IconCache.db" files and thumbcache files on the phone's internal storage, but no luck. In the desktop version of Windows 10 the thumbnails / icons are stored in

C:\Users\**UserName**\AppData\Local

in a file called "IconCache.db". This seems not to be the case in the mobile version.

Many apps (like WhatsApp for example) are showing me folders and images which I have either moved or deleted.
How can I delete / reset the cache? There has to be a more reasonable way than hard resetting the phone and losing pretty much all settings again.
Any hints highly appreciated.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello.

It seems I am experiencing a heavily corrupted icon / thumbnail / folder cache on my Lumia 950 XL, currently on Fast Ring build 10.0.14393.3.
This corrupted thumbnail cache exists for a long time now for me, I want to avoid a hard reset just to reset the thumbnail cache at all costs. I also have file system access and tried to find the "IconCache.db" files and thumbcache files on the phone's internal storage, but no luck. In the desktop version of Windows 10 the thumbnails / icons are stored in

C:\Users\**UserName**\AppData\Local

in a file called "IconCache.db". This seems not to be the case in the mobile version.

Many apps (like WhatsApp for example) are showing me folders and images which I have either moved or deleted.
How can I delete / reset the cache? There has to be a more reasonable way than hard resetting the phone and losing pretty much all settings again.
Any hints highly appreciated.

A soft reset?
Serious, any LiveTile is update after every app or build update.
E.g. if you remove some pics from Favourites, you still will see them on Tile till next Photo app update... or Windows build update

Partybooper

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Just tried a soft reset. As expected, didn't work.
And this problem exists since many many builds and app updates. But the cache is still heavily corrupted.

Partybooper

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
I can suggest you do a factory reset once the official anniversary update rolls out next week
I still didn't give up on a more reasonable fix. I know I shouldn't have used insider builds on a productive phone, but well, I couldn't avoid it after I enrolled in the insider program with my 950 XL.

But it's not just a problem with the insider builds. The thumbnail cache gets corrupted on public builds as well. It's not really a good solution to lose all data on the phone every time a small issue comes up due to having to perform a hard / factory reset.

As I said I have (partial) access to the file system, all I need to do is to find out where the thumbnails are stored on the device (folder and file structure is different compared to the desktop OS, so it's not in the same location as I've described above), delete the file(s) and let the cache rebuild itself. I believe that should do the trick. A hard reset is the last option for me because it's very unreasonable and I cannot lose contacts, files and logs from customers / suppliers. So I'm stuck with this problem at the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750