The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-09-2011 07:20 PM
43 12
tools
    Eh not overrated because my phone feels incomplete with Zune's services not letting my Windows Live ID sign into Zune. First day and I wish I could've loaded this puppy up lol

But comparing how many apps an OS has over the other is overrated and old
    09-02-2011 12:26 AM
    Not at all, Apps are the best.
    09-02-2011 07:15 AM
    Apps are just another name for programs.

The OS keeps growing to be able to tend to general purpose needs. Especially if those needs are things that aren't something that people have any opinion about. People don't care how you connect to WiFi as long as it connects.

There will always be a need for programs to address things that aren't general and universal needs.
    09-02-2011 10:04 AM
    I would say the app-hype is a bit too much, but they do add on to the OS in a big way.

if you like apps get an Iphone ( IOS = app launcher )

if you want reliable and easy to use = WP7 ( most stable OS )
    Actually, one of the reasons I got a Windows Phone was because I wasn't just because of apps, but apps using the beautiful metro UI. Well... I was interested in apps, but apps using the metro UI is a huge plus in my opinion. ;)

Birdsong (Twitter), 4th & Mayor (Foursquare), Pageonce (financing), etc. just makes the experience that much better using them when they incorporate the metro UI and do it well.
    09-02-2011 10:20 AM
    Have a link handy for this, I'd like to read it?
    I posted it below my first comment. Thanks.
    Dagolara likes this.
    09-02-2011 10:46 AM
    QFT

[QUOTE=Se1fcr3ation;1562833]if you like apps get an Iphone ( IOS = app launcher )

if you want reliable and easy to use = WP7 ( most stable OS )

if you want customization get an Android... ( most Custom ROMS and UI )

if you want to do E-mails + BBM get a Blackbery.... ( only true push )

if you want a OS that doesnt Update , get WEBOS ( LOL sorry i had to add it )

what the H*LL is symbian? (seriously .. huh? lol . )

that
    09-02-2011 03:16 PM
    I've been saying apps are overrated since the now-iOS App Store opened. And it's true now more than ever. I would watch as people impressed by simplistic functionality provided by apps, while that same functionality has been available elsewhere for years. My favorite are the social networking apps. Why do we need a Facebook or Twitter app? What is wrong with using a mobile site? Why should I have to install and run code that, in most cases, is just a wrapper for a mobile HTML5 site anyway? It's a waste. Just give me a URL and I'll bookmark it. It's that simple.

I understand that there are apps that utilize hardware and OS APIs, and for those I make an exception. But these basic apps that bundle a mobile website into an "app" are pointless.
    09-07-2011 11:07 AM
    There are some things for which you absolutely need an app, such as a way of tracking your running/walking/biking via GPS pedometer. Until HTML5 is predominant, we will need media apps such as LazyTube/EasyTube, Netflix, Hulu, and Vevo. In terms of streaming audio/radio, we need apps for those so they can take advantage of things like the playback controls that you wouldn't be able to do with HTML5 browser. Those are just some of the examples I can think of right now.
    09-07-2011 01:34 PM
    Apps are the life blood of all smart phones! No top notch devs making top notch apps. You'll be going the way of WebOS.

If you don't think apps are important. Just get a Nokia feature phone and be done with it. LOL@ Apps being overrated.
    09-07-2011 01:58 PM
    Apps are the life blood of all smart phones! No top notch devs making top notch apps. You'll be going the way of WebOS.

If you don't think apps are important. Just get a Nokia feature phone and be done with it. LOL@ Apps being overrated.
    Quite interesting when you consider No One has stated any smartphone does not need apps. IMHO I do not seem to remember seeing a smartphone without apps? It's a matter of quality as opposed to quantity, form and substance but never let the truth influence your opinion. Making a purchase decision based on the number of app is IMHO ill informed and that's being kind for the following reasons, see if you can follow along. There are some implementations of programming that can be performed better by manufactures, some better by the ISP and some if implemented directly by the OS. Why are there so many apps whose purpose has already been accomplished by standard programs? If you agree Metro integration is a step toward a completed ecosystem. If you can not agree this is is true then a conversation regarding apps will be fruitless. BTW I've had this dance before with the BEOS great OS destroyed by a bunch of ninnies.:ninja:
    09-07-2011 03:49 PM
    Who cares. Your opinion means nothing. Quality over quantity. Well, IOS and Andriod has both. If quantity means nothing, why does MS release a statement whenever they reach an app "milestone". Microsoft, apple, and google will all have complete ecosystems. It's just a matter of what fits ones taste.
    Quite interesting when you consider No One has stated any smartphone does not need apps. IMHO I do not seem to remember seeing a smartphone without apps? It's a matter of quality as opposed to quantity, form and substance but never let the truth influence your opinion. Making a purchase decision based on the number of app is IMHO ill informed and that's being kind for the following reasons, see if you can follow along. There are some implementations of programming that can be performed better by manufactures, some better by the ISP and some if implemented directly by the OS. Why are there so many apps whose purpose has already been accomplished by standard programs? If you agree Metro integration is a step toward a completed ecosystem. If you can not agree this is is true then a conversation regarding apps will be fruitless. BTW I've had this dance before with the BEOS great OS destroyed by a bunch of ninnies.:ninja:
    If you want a phone, go get it. No one cares what you think will make or not make a platform.
    BTW, I've never met you, but you seem like a big ******. *wink and the gun*
    09-08-2011 09:58 PM
    The simple truth is that apps are overrated but necessary to a degree. Good mobile sites lessen the need for dedicated apps, but most people don't know that you can pin mobile sites to use as apps, not do they know just what apps are available, yet these are the people who fall into the trap of thinking that you have to have hundreds of thousands of apps to have a viable platform.

Personally, I'm beyond sick of the app craze. With some exception, I hate jumping out of the browser or out of one of the other core Windows Phone experiences and into an app. The apps I do use have a real value to me, and find myself going back and uninstalling apps I don't use, even of they were paid for. It just clutters up the phone.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    xpxp2002 likes this.
    09-08-2011 10:37 PM
    Who cares. Your opinion means nothing. Quality over quantity. Well, IOS and Andriod has both. If quantity means nothing, why does MS release a statement whenever they reach an app "milestone". Microsoft, apple, and google will all have complete ecosystems. It's just a matter of what fits ones taste.

If you want a phone, go get it. No one cares what you think will make or not make a platform.
    BTW, I've never met you, but you seem like a big ******. *wink and the gun*
    Whoa trolls pay dues guy strong words :lol: Just goes to show you how things get turned around I though all of this was opinion even your posts. Considering those of us who've had some experience worthless is about as reasonable as saying Google is going to have a complete ecosystem. Hard to see how Google can be considered on a path to an ecosystem looking at what's available under their flag. There should be some sense of propriety in both the content and context of your posts. More importantly have a little respect for yourself or at least consider the accuracy of what's being posted under your name:P
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 09-09-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Restore original quote
    09-09-2011 12:00 AM
    if you want a OS that doesnt Update , get WEBOS ( LOL sorry i had to add it )
    :'( :'( :'( Too soon :'( :'( :'(
    09-09-2011 11:31 AM
    I'm loving what MS have done with the apps in Mango (integration). Having this means each app is actually improving the OS, thus, giving a better experience. The way apps interact on Nodo, and in other OS's, they can useful, but you have to go out of your way to access them.
    09-09-2011 12:55 PM
    I don't think we need the "Your opinion means nothing" and the "you seem like a big ******" talk here.

jimmy1one does make good points.

What we are really looking for is an environment where we could get our tasks done efficiently. Some of those tasks will be best built into the OS. Some may be best put in by OEMs because they're specific to the device type. Some might be carrier specific, so implementation by the carrier would be best. And some are just better through 3rd party app makers because of variety.

The goal of WP is to make even these 3rd party apps feel as if they are actually part of the OS. So in that way, Windows Phone does not want to be a traditional app launcher.

BTW... RIP BeOS.
    smartpatrol likes this.
    09-09-2011 01:16 PM
    If his opinion means nothing to me, well it just doesn't. If you don't think apps are vital, don't install any. Who's forcing anyone to download any apps? Problem solved. MS attempt to integrate FB and Twitter is incomplete.
    09-09-2011 01:53 PM
    We should be able to disagree without resorting to being rude to each other.
    09-09-2011 07:20 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD