I only wanted two things from this Mango update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You're underwhelemd with the Facebook/Twitter integration, the text-to-speech and speech-to-text features, the Bing Local Scout/Music/Vision, the new Zune features, the Now Playing artist on your lock screen, the deep linking with Live Tiles, the double sided Live Tiles, the camera improvements, the multitasking, the threads, the HTML5/hardware accelerated MOBILE broswer, and the allowance of 30 Live Tiles instead of 15?

Dang, I guess man.

To be honest those features are not much different than what you get on a skinned android phone. Fb/twitter is integrated into those devices and google has equivalent services (maps, places, latitude, goggles, etc).

The biggest selling points over android are Zune pass and Xbox live. Ning music depends on the Zune music library which erodes its usefulness because Zune still had a much smaller Database than ie iTunes and Shazam.

The browser is good but worse in real world use because almost every mobile site has implemented all of their advanced features assuming a webkit browser (android, safari).

The media features are valuable, but does it usurp the platforms other weaknesses in comparison to other platforms?

I'm on the fence. I can't even explain how excited I was leading up to the release of this platform. Now. Not so much...

Navigation is a big issue on wp7 (bing nav). It's unusable while driving. I tried hard to use it during my 1300 mile trip up here but having to fondle the phone while driving on the interstate and in unfamiliar areas was just too dangerous.

Good navigation was probably the number one feature I was waiting on. I was only keeping my vibrant active to use it primarily for that function, and they didn't deliver in mango. Every turn and reroute requires a tap that often doesn't register on the first or second tap. It's simply not a usable system unless you walk everywhere.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Last edited:

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
To be honest those features are not much different than what you get on a skinned android phone. Fb/twitter is integrated into those devices and google has equivalent services (maps, places, latitude, goggles, etc).

I want this over Android because the consistency of the theme, font, and other aesthetically pleasant features that make the phone feel like one solid piece instead of pants with patches.

The biggest selling points over android are Zune pass and Xbox live. Ning music depends on the Zune music library which erodes its usefulness because Zune still had a much smaller Database than ie iTunes and Shazam.

I don't really care about Zune pass or Xbox. Rarely listen to music on the go and games are distracting me from work so nah.

The browser is good but worse in real world use because almost every mobile site has implemented all of their advanced features assuming a webkit browser (android, safari).

IE does seem slower than Safari, not that much but I really would like to have a very smooth browsing experience. Though with apps I depend a lot less on browser.

I'm on the fence. I can't even explain how excited I was leading up to the release of this platform. Now. Not so much...

True, after a few months I feel like, what's the hype about WP7 anyway. It's still attractive but now I have a more objective view of it.

Navigation is a big issue on wp7 (bing nav). It's unusable while driving. I tried hard to use it during my 1300 mile trip up here but having to fondle the phone while driving on the interstate and in unfamiliar areas was just too dangerous.

Good navigation was probably the number one feature I was waiting on. I was only keeping my vibrant active to use it primarily for that function, and they didn't deliver in mango. Every turn and reroute requires a tap that often doesn't register on the first or second tap. It's simply not a usable system unless you walk everywhere.

I think Google Map is much easier to read than Bing map. Gladly on Lumia 800 we have Nokia Map and Drive, which are awesome navigation apps, but I am not sure how good is it for USA, cuz Google Map integrates a lot of useful information such as Public Transit, Reviews and etc.

Last edited:

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
AGREED!!! It's too hard to get to the phone dialer!!! Need to "Home"->"Phone"->"Dial".

I just want something dedicated so that if I wanna call I just press once and get into the call screen.

A lot of people get data plan not for video streaming, but for emails and webs and data.

Flash? It's getting ditched. Just look at what's going on with HTML5 and other awesome ****.
M$ should not waste time and resources on an abandoned technology.

Plus Flash puts severe burden on the processor and not energy efficient at all.

Flash isn't going anywhere anytime soon. HTML5 isn't even projected to be complete until like 2022. Flash is much more powerful than the current subset and we will see it run side by side for some time.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Flash isn't going anywhere anytime soon. HTML5 isn't even projected to be complete until like 2022. Flash is much more powerful than the current subset and we will see it run side by side for some time.

wow 2022? Where did you get that from? Why not 3022?

Lol... just look at Adobe's strategic planning with Flash. They already started ditching it with Adobe Edge and AIR.

Flash is going to die soon, and more energy/computation efficient products are getting out from Adobe. M$ shouldn't waste time on something with 1~2 years more life.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
wow 2022? Where did you get that from? Why not 3022?

Lol... just look at Adobe's strategic planning with Flash. They already started ditching it with Adobe Edge and AIR.

Flash is going to die soon, and more energy/computation efficient products are getting out from Adobe. M$ shouldn't waste time on something with 1~2 years more life.

Because Ian Hickson said 2022 not 3022

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Right. Bill Gates said 512KB memory was gonna be enough for the next century.

It was 637kb and he said it in 1981 lol

Looks like W3C has html 5 being finalized in 2014. We then have to still wait for browsers to catch up and then there is still waiting for adoption. Flash will be around more than 1-2 years still.

YXEBears

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I personally miss Flash. Yes, there is a bit of mobile TV stuff on YT, but streaming off network websites just seems to work better. My Focus has a wonderful display, let me use it...

L

lumic

I want Flash.

Why? Because I've been in talks with the LazyTube developers. They aren't able to keep compatibility with the desktop YouTube selection because YouTube forbids it. Hence, when the update hits I will be stuck with no way to play the large amount of videos which do not provide mobile versions.

This is a disgusting way for Google to differentiate their platform, especially from a company who does no evil. However, the flip side argument is that we should just have Flash, "easy" solution. Or, you know - Google could have stuck with HTML5 specifications and converted YouTube to it.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I want Flash.

Why? Because I've been in talks with the LazyTube developers. They aren't able to keep compatibility with the desktop YouTube selection because YouTube forbids it. Hence, when the update hits I will be stuck with no way to play the large amount of videos which do not provide mobile versions.

This is a disgusting way for Google to differentiate their platform, especially from a company who does no evil. However, the flip side argument is that we should just have Flash, "easy" solution. Or, you know - Google could have stuck with HTML5 specifications and converted YouTube to it.

A company that does no evil? Can't tell if srs..

anyway, Youtube has the ability to use HTML5. You have to opt-in as its a trial. Works for most videos.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
People should really research their product before purchasing it

Ha..Im one of those people. I ordered my trophy over the phone w/ Verizon because it was made by HTC. Never knew Microsoft even made cell phones. Boy was I in for a big surprise!!......

Last edited:

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Flash

I don't think Flash is a big deal either - iPhone seems to do just fine without and so will WP7. There's lots more other holes in WP7 that are harder to fill/cover up - Bing vs. Google for search, Native support for GMail (Android and iOS have it), Bing Maps vs. Google Maps (this one is no contest), Google Voice support (if you don't have it, get it, no more worries about porting your number) - once again both iOS and Android have great GVoice support, while WP7 claims 90% of the most important apps are there the other 10% is key - no Audible (after one year), very few sports apps (NHL, NFL - can't live without those, banks/brokerage, travel (hotel/airlines), Pandora - those are just off the top of my head. One more biggie for Verizon/ATT - how about future proof for TWO years by having an LTE phone - this one is almost a show stopper. I really, really hope MS gets on the ball with some of these.

SanityFM

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I would not want flash on this phone after experiencing it on other mobile devices. I dont see it as nessasary. What we do need on WP are apps to cover the functionality, like iplayer, 4od apps here in the UK. Those sort of apps come with greater market share and platform exposure. The apps are more pleasurable to use than surfing to one of those sites.

Except using an Android phone feels like using Windows Mobile 6 with Sense. Clunky, insecure, a complete lack of a unified GUI across menu's and apps, and essentially is an advertising platform for Google. Android phones are bloated, resource hogs and feel cheap in OS and hardware. Interestingly our IT dept. no longer provide work apps for Android phones due to their security issues.

how excited I was leading up to the release of this platform. Now. Not so much...)

Hey, fair enough my friend, we can't all like the same things in life, and if we did, what a boring world we would live in. I like the innovation MS has brought to the smartphone GUI arena. I mean we've had grids of shortcuts in grids of folders for the last decade, ever since Cookie's Home tab on my old Touch Diamond, so the live tiles are a breath of fresh air with their, at a glance, pushed info. So I am happy to take a great mans advice and will continue to "think different", ironically. I personally like having something other than what the masses are using.

Regards

Last edited:

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Out of all the arguments I've seen WP7 fanboys use, the tiles are one of the worst. They are ugly, non-customizable, and have no folder support. Worst of all, 99% of the tiles most users have pinned display the exact same information that an icon will show you!

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Out of all the arguments I've seen WP7 fanboys use, the tiles are one of the worst.

How so?

They are ugly

Opinion.

non-customizable

Compared to?

and have no folder support

IT'S A LIVE TILE. As clear as mud? I thought so.

Worst of all, 99% of the tiles most users have pinned display the exact same information that an icon will show you!

I'm sorry, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. My BBC News tile displays headline/breaking news, my weather app shows me the current weather/my location, the "me" tile shows me all the alerts from Windows Live, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, my WP tile shows me the latest news...... AND SO ON.

SanityFM

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
In reply to Ryude:

Well not being a fan of any particular faceless corporation, simply of tech in general, I wouldnt know my friend. Each to their own I guess. There are many reasons to buy one platform over another.

To me it's an innovative step forward from the dated grids of shortcuts, that only seem to present numbers, I have been using since Windows Mobile 5, a decade ago. Tiles are beautiful and work fantastically providing, at a glance info, customisation, and deep linked access to features within apps, not just the app shortcut. Its not nessasarily a reason to buy a particular phone but it is an advantage, on a phone which does have one or two disadvantages at the moment. Just as Big Supes said the BBC give me live breaking news to the tile, as do WPcentral. The Me tab shows me social networking notifications. The calender gives me my upcoming appointments. Flixter updates its tile with a poster pic of some new film or other. It's great.

With regards to customisation, I love the "my live tile" type apps for just that reason. I personally have a green lizard picture on a black background across two tiles at the top of my homescreen. It looks like he's sat on top of my tiles. Lol, its the simple things hehe.

Besides, who's arguing mate? No-ones trying to convince anyone of anything as I would imagine everyone who buys a WP knows about the benefits of tiles when they purchase, likes them, and comes here to chat. If they thought MS platform was ugly, surely they wouldnt buy it, and therefore not be on this forum, lol. Only a fool would hang around something, or somewhere they didn't like.

I thought this was just a discussion about smartphone tech, centred on WP, as this is a WP forum. I'm just giving my point of view, as someone who has dealt with, and deals with all 4 platforms on a regular basis. Doesnt mean I'm right or wrong as there is a certain amount of subjectivity, specially with regards to GUI. What isn't subjective is that live tiles give you more, at a glance info than a traditional shortcut.

Folder support, yeah thats great on my PC, but, for me, is unnessasary on the WP. What would be the point of putting a live tile in a folder so you cant see any pushed info. I may as well just have a shortcut in the app list. Maybe you meant the app list, but I find the jump lists more than adequate. It's different, yes. Its change, yes. As a lover of tech I think thats to be aplauded and embraced, rather than another clone of Windows Mobile, or iPhone if you can't remember back that far.

Personally I just love to try new tech, and WP is that. Thats why I own one as my personal phone. That doesn't mean I support the platform forever more like some football team, lol. In my experience all platforms have their strengths and weaknesses and when my contract is up next time, I'll do the research and choose. That's simply being a consumer. The more competition, the better :)

Regards

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Out of all the arguments I've seen WP7 fanboys use, the tiles are one of the worst. They are ugly, non-customizable, and have no folder support. Worst of all, 99% of the tiles most users have pinned display the exact same information that an icon will show you!

i got 2 questions for you..

1. Why do you own a WP7....

2. Why are you here?......

your clearly a Iphone/android fan boy (probly Iphone cause your talking like one ) and all you do is troll...... and 99% if your arguments make no sense and or are personal preference that you use to back up your points instead of actual Facts..

you OBVIOUSLY DO NOT like WP7... so why are you still using it or still here...

bashing tiles like it wasn’t one of the MAIN sell points of WP7 .... again why do you have a WP7 if u dont like it......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon