General questions about WP7

SJamG

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Got a few basic questions about Mango and how to do basic things. Would really appreciate if someone could answer these queries:

- I use email a lot for work and personally too. I organise my mail in folders...how do I move an email message from my inbox to a folder?

- if I miss a call...how can I tell from the start/lock screen.

- I played with a Lumia today and tried to use the alphabetic "jump" in the Applications...I could not activate that, I could search, but not jump to a letter. Is this something that they have left out or is only activated when you go over a certain number of apps?

Sorry if these questions seem silly, but I need to make sure I want to take the leap.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Got a few basic questions about Mango and how to do basic things. Would really appreciate if someone could answer these queries:

- I use email a lot for work and personally too. I organise my mail in folders...how do I move an email message from my inbox to a folder?

- if I miss a call...how can I tell from the start/lock screen.

- I played with a Lumia today and tried to use the alphabetic "jump" in the Applications...I could not activate that, I could search, but not jump to a letter. Is this something that they have left out or is only activated when you go over a certain number of apps?

Sorry if these questions seem silly, but I need to make sure I want to take the leap.

To move an email, you can either select it by tapping to the left of it and on the app bar is the option to move it, or just open it and select move from the options. If you dont see al your folders just hit Show all folders.

Should get an icon on your lock screen showing a phonc icon with a number next to it indicating the number of missed calls.

The alphabet jump list only appears after you have 45 (or so) applications installed, so the Lumia probably didnt have enough installed.

SJamG

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Theefman, thank you very much for cleaning up those two issues for me. I have a list a mile long of questions, but the 3 above were at the top.

I take it you can select multiple mails at the one time and move them to a folder?

Thanks again!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yep, if you tap to the left empty checkboxes appear beside your emails and you can select the ones you want to move. 1st one is automatically selected. Emails in a conversation are selected when you hit the first checkbox. No probs, happy to help.

EricCantona

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
This may be unrelated to your question, but I find this feature awesome.
You have an option to unify selected email accounts. I always want to separate my work email from others.

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep, if you tap to the left empty checkboxes appear beside your emails and you can select the ones you want to move. 1st one is automatically selected. Emails in a conversation are selected when you hit the first checkbox. No probs, happy to help.
For redundancy, there's also a button (second from left in the bottom bar, right of the new message button) to activate multiple select checkbox.
In case you find it difficult to tap the left side without opening single message.

SJamG

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Lol TheWeeBear! Don't need sleep when discovering all the features of a new phone...just need coffee!! :)

Another silly question...having not really played with the WP7.5 (as you can't when there is a shop salesman standing over you) - is there multitouch? In the browser/photo viewer etc?

Thank you again!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
By multitouch if you mean using 2 fingers to zoom and stretch things, yes indeedy.

Pinch and move to zoom or a double tap will zoom in, another double tap to zoom out again.

(Both in the browser and photos) :)

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Lol TheWeeBear! Don't need sleep when discovering all the features of a new phone...just need coffee!! :)

Another silly question...having not really played with the WP7.5 (as you can't when there is a shop salesman standing over you) - is there multitouch? In the browser/photo viewer etc?

Thank you again!

Yes, all windows phones have multi-touch. Browsing the web, editing pictures... its useful. In some games it's required too.

I believe all WP7's are 4-point multi-touch phones. Somebody correct me if I an wrong.

SJamG

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to both of you...I was slightly worried about that, as I think people take that as a given when switching Phone OS.

Just wanted to make sure.

What a great forum this is! :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Probably, but that means we can aye gab aboot the ithers, an they wulny unnerston a word we're sayin' aboot them SJam. We're no sae daft. LOL :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes