Windos Phone 8

GazooAz

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone 8

Question If I spend the money for a new Nokia Lumia 800 or 900 and get a 2 year contract, will my new phone get the windows 8 update? or will I be stuck with Tango?

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
No guarantees. But if Nokia releases a phone in March and does not provide at least 15 months of OS updates, they would be shooting themselves in the foot and basically orchestrating their own demise. So that takes you to at least June 2013.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't know for sure if it would get WP8. I would imagine that WP8 will have its own set of minimum specs.

But I would expect that even if it doesn't get WP8, it will still continue to get new updates to try to make it on par feature-wise with WP8. With the main differentiation being the different minimum system specs. So certain newer apps and games might only work on WP8. But when it comes to OS functionality that is not hardware related, I expect current devices to have updates that keep up.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure every 2G phone will get Apollo just like every 1G phone got Mango. The only question in my mind is whether or not every 1G phone will get Apollo, they better -_-

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I would be quite surprised if all second gen devices and even first gen didnt get WP8. Just as Mango brought new hardware capabilities (FFC, gyro) that 1st gen devices did not have I expect the same would hold for WP8, newer devices would be compatible with the newer hardware capabilities (NFC, multi core, BT 4.0, HDMI) and be able to exploit them and older devices would get the software but be unable to use all the advanced features.

I expect all WP devices to date to get some flavor of WP8, just depends to what extent. From what we've seen so far from MS on their update philosophy I think the Lumia devices will be fine for WP8.

Ba11ers

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
If you can wait till next weeks CES Microsoft may detail their plans for Windows Phone 8. If not then for sure at Mobile World Congress at the end of Feb. But like the others have said both phones should get updated to 8 but to be safe I'd wait if you can.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 3GS still gets updates so with that I think it's safe to say that the first and 1.5 Gen devices will get updated to Apollo.

I do like how you called the current crop of devices 1.5 Gen. I think that's a more accurate way of looking at it.

I classify the next Gen of devices as the ones that come out with a completely new minimum spec. That's Gen 2.

GazooAz

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
= I expect all WP devices to date to get some flavor of WP8, just depends to what extent. From what we've seen so far from MS on their update philosophy I think the Lumia devices will be fine for WP8.

I hope youre right, anyway I think I could live with a Lumia for two years after having the Nuron for the last two.

GazooAz

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
If you can wait till next weeks CES Microsoft may detail their plans for Windows Phone 8. If not then for sure at Mobile World Congress at the end of Feb. But like the others have said both phones should get updated to 8 but to be safe I'd wait if you can.

I can wait since I am not eligable for a new phone until Feb 16th. I just want to be sure before I agree to another two years.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

Didn't MS also want to distance themselves from set date trade shows/conferences?

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm going on the idea that Apollo is Windows Phone 8 (since Mango was 7.5) and that it will be released together with Windows 8. Tango is like Nodo, a mid cycle refresh.

As such I am very certain that Windows Phone 8 will come to all WP7 devices.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
MS has stated in the past that 1st Gen devices will receive Tango and Apollo, so the current devices should as well. I'm excited if their optimization trend holds, because since the Mango update my HD7 runs like somebody dropped a new chip in it! It boots 3x as fast, and every feature, from download and browser speeds to keyboard function, etc is smoother and faster. Even apps I had before the update loaded faster, even before they were updated for the new OS! It's truly a programming marvel... I could never go back to 7.0 now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon