Messaging and custom ringtones

ltyarbro42

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed or found a way yet to set a custom ringtone so I'm assuming there isn't one. Not that my phone leaves vibrate very often, but it is a nice option. Is this possible?

Also can normal mp3 files not be used for ringtone purposes?

Sent from my {Lumia 900} using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You are limited to the built in tones for alerts. Phone calls and alarms can use custom ringtones.

A ringtone cannot be more than 1MB, so you need to trim down an existing MP3 to use it. This is one of many ways than Microsoft keeps your phone running fast.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
You can only set custom ringtones for the ringer, not other notifications like SMS or email. You have 2 options: 1. download a ringtone app from the Marketplace (easiest way), 2. Transfer ringtones from PC via zune software, but it has to be limited to 30secs, a max file size limit applies (can someone else confirm file limit?), and you have to change it's genre to Ringtone (under song properties).

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
You can only set custom ringtones for the ringer, not other notifications like SMS or email. You have 2 options: 1. download a ringtone app from the Marketplace (easiest way), 2. Transfer ringtones from PC via zune software, but it has to be limited to 30secs, a max file size limit applies (can someone else confirm file limit?), and you have to change it's genre to Ringtone (under song properties).

Here's the info you desire.

Less than 1MB. Less than 40 seconds. WMA or MP3. Must be DRM free.

ltyarbro42

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site

This was what I was missing. Although I will miss no having custom message tones I will be fine without. Thanks for the help :)

Sent from my {Lumia 900} using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon