Why doesn't the keyboard open when hitting the search key?

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I can't figure this one out...when you hit the search button the keyboard is closed until you tap on the text-entry box.

That is very silly, it adds an unnecessary step! I just saw the windows 8 "search" button does the same thing on a tablet. (In iOS the search area automatically opens the keyboard.)

Has this strange UI choice in WP7 bothered anyone else?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
cause theirs is like 4+ other things you can do aside from typing.

- Music search
- Vision
- Voice
- to see the nice BING pic with Information related to it. the key bored would block that.( think this might be the real reason LOL )

and you select what you want and if not you click with your finger in the search.
I find this very convenient considering i almost NEVER use text to search, always voice or music search...

but that's just me i guess , I like it.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
cause theirs is like 4+ other things you can do aside from typing.

- Music search
- Vision
- Voice
- to see the nice BING pic with Information related to it. the key bored would block that.( think this might be the real reason LOL )

and you select what you want and if not you click with your finger in the search.
I find this very convenient considering i almost NEVER use text to search, always voice or music search...

but that's just me i guess , I like it.

A picture is nice, but when I hit the search button I am trying to...search, not look at pictures (there's a tile for that).

Also, the other options are available with the keyboard open (if you haven't noticed). The whole point of the search key is supposed to be convenience, and adding extra steps runs coutner to that.

Here's a suggestion if you really want the picture: make the keyboard semi-transparent untile you type on it (or it disappears if you click the picture you are eager to see).

I guess I expect a little more since I came to WP7 from webOS, which had exceptional search capabilties and could do many of these task in half the steps that it takes in WP7.

[Se1fcr3ation, I hope you will forgive me a little combativeness in my response, I like WP7 alot...I guess that's why I get frustrated when I see a deficiency, especially one that other platforms handily avoid]

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I can see your point of view on that matter for sure,

but honestly I dont think MS looks at that as a deficiency but more of a new innovative feature that other phones dont have.

for example: the search on the Iphone;, the keyboard comes right up , but its boring and ugly. just a square static looking keyboard with a search bar.. lol ( again that's my opinion)

compare to WP`s nice Bing experiance with that nice new PIC every day! :p lol

regarding WEBOS I used it as well and honestly you cant really compare the *search Menu* on WP to a *just type* feature on webos. witch was an other great feature in Webos.

ether way I dont think we will see this change any time soon if ever as I Believe MS is really looking at this as a *cool* thing.

BUT!

no harm in having your voice heard, you never know people might vote for it!
MS suggestion page for WP customers - Creat suggestions or vote on your fav
and you can also get the APP on your phone! (lol) : Suggestion Box

any ways , only time will tell what the future holds for us!:happy:

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
A picture is nice, but when I hit the search button I am trying to...search, not look at pictures (there's a tile for that).

Also, the other options are available with the keyboard open (if you haven't noticed). The whole point of the search key is supposed to be convenience, and adding extra steps runs coutner to that.

Here's a suggestion if you really want the picture: make the keyboard semi-transparent untile you type on it (or it disappears if you click the picture you are eager to see).

I guess I expect a little more since I came to WP7 from webOS, which had exceptional search capabilties and could do many of these task in half the steps that it takes in WP7.

[Se1fcr3ation, I hope you will forgive me a little combativeness in my response, I like WP7 alot...I guess that's why I get frustrated when I see a deficiency, especially one that other platforms handily avoid]
For all the goodness of WP and iOS or whatever, it's funny how a former webOS user (myself included) can always mention a unique or well-thought feature exclusive to webOS. Leo Apotheker, from h*ll's heart I stab at thee!!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I understand the purpose for not having the keyboard open automatically when you hit the search key, but it does seem like it would be a bit faster if it did open automatically.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
This thread is a good example of all the nitpicking that goes around WPCentral forums. Not saying this isn't a valid complaint, but it's one that is nothing but nitpicking.

As it was already said, the Search menu is not just for writing stuff. For example, if I want to go to Bing Vision, I don't need the keyboard. Why would I need it to be there after I pressed the search button?

Nitpicking.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This thread is a good example of all the nitpicking that goes around WPCentral forums. Not saying this isn't a valid complaint, but it's one that is nothing but nitpicking.

As it was already said, the Search menu is not just for writing stuff. For example, if I want to go to Bing Vision, I don't need the keyboard. Why would I need it to be there after I pressed the search button?

Nitpicking.
Been on XDA lately? Talk about flames! Not the gay variety either.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Nitpicking.

um hmmm, I agree! You should've seen me around here last year when it came to things like this.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Been on XDA lately? Talk about flames! Not the gay variety either.

Now that you mention it, no, I haven't been on XDA lately. I didn't even became an active user since almost all threads end up in irrational flames, and most of them were about "issues" like this one.

I don't think we're flaming the guy, I mean, if there's a thread were the word "nitpicking" can be used, it's this one.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Now that you mention it, no, I haven't been on XDA lately. I didn't even became an active user since almost all threads end up in irrational flames, and most of them were about "issues" like this one.

I don't think we're flaming the guy, I mean, if there's a thread were the word "nitpicking" can be used, it's this one.
All joking aside, here's my take on the subject. There is no perfect OS, all have +'s and -'s. Get the one that suits you the best and go about enjoying life. There is no amount of moaning or bi*ching that's going to change that. If another one comes along that suits you better, go for it. Agreed?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
um hmmm, I agree! You should've seen me around here last year when it came to things like this.

lol yeah and we are glad you changed your way of responding ;) lol

All joking aside, here's my take on the subject. There is no perfect OS, all have +'s and -'s. Get the one that suits you the best and go about enjoying life. There is no amount of moaning or bi*ching that's going to change that. If another one comes along that suits you better, go for it. Agreed?

you 100% right NO , OS is *BETTER* and NO OS is PERFECT .
the attraction in out time and age is all about being different and innovative

I Find MS does a GREAT job at being innovative and attractive , even with the few functions missing
and honestly id Much rather a nice PIC on the BING search then a keyboard popping up.

----

I wasn't going to say thing but..

If you find that clicking on the search bar to get the Keyboard to come up takes TO MUCH TIME ( a full 0.5sec) then MAYBE , JUST MAYBE you shouldn't have a phone at all.

LOUIS CK said it the best: *Everything is Amazing & nobody is Happy :lol:
(obviously its not but its the meaning that matters)
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk[/YT]

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Yep, I also share that opinion.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
lol yeah and we are glad you changed your way of responding ;) lol

you 100% right NO , OS is *BETTER* and NO OS is PERFECT .
the attraction in out time and age is all about being different and innovative

I Find MS does a GREAT job at being innovative and attractive , even with the few functions missing
and honestly id Much rather a nice PIC on the BING search then a keyboard popping up.

----

I wasn't going to say thing but..

If you find that clicking on the search bar to get the Keyboard to come up takes TO MUCH TIME ( a full 0.5sec) then MAYBE , JUST MAYBE you shouldn't have a phone at all.

LOUIS CK said it the best: *Everything is Amazing & nobody is Happy :lol:
(obviously its not but its the meaning that matters)
Click to view quoted video

Especially since hitting search isn't the only way to search, there's also entering a search term in IE address bar and then the voice search of course. Even on Android the keyboard doesn't come up automatically.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

This is the part that frustrates me, commenting without trying to understand what someone is saying. The eye (vision search) doesn't search for a picture, it's a barcode scanner.

Local scout doesn't have to be there because you can have a tile for that.
The musical note key is for a music search.
The eye is a barcode scanner.
The mic is for a vocal search.

To be honest, I use the vocal search much more often so I'm glad it defaults the way it does. There is nothing wrong with the way Bing searches, it's just a matter of preference.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I guess a person should put on a flame-retardent suit before entering these forums ;) Is this nitpicking? I suppose it could be called that, but 'search' is supposed to be a big part of WP7; after all it is one of the only hardware buttons and they killed contextual search in favor of making this Bing search page open no matter when the search button is pressed. I merely started this thread to see if others found the extra step of opening the keyboard an unnecessary frustration.

I guess I have learned that there are others who like having the extra-step, so maybe this isn't a deficiency and MS has got things right!

However, I can't quite agree because it was Microsoft that advertizes WP7 as "faster" OS which is supposed to use less taps/clicks/steps. I can't help but feel that this search/keyboard thing is an example of where that philosophy is not put into practice.

Resume flaming ;) (in case it isn't clear, i am joking and i hardly think any comments here are out of line)

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
For all the goodness of WP and iOS or whatever, it's funny how a former webOS user (myself included) can always mention a unique or well-thought feature exclusive to webOS. Leo Apotheker, from h*ll's heart I stab at thee!!

Just send Ricardo Montalban to do the job !!!!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I guess a person should put on a flame-retardent suit before entering these forums ;) Is this nitpicking? I suppose it could be called that, but 'search' is supposed to be a big part of WP7; after all it is one of the only hardware buttons and they killed contextual search in favor of making this Bing search page open no matter when the search button is pressed. I merely started this thread to see if others found the extra step of opening the keyboard an unnecessary frustration.

I guess I have learned that there are others who like having the extra-step, so maybe this isn't a deficiency and MS has got things right!

However, I can't quite agree because it was Microsoft that advertizes WP7 as "faster" OS which is supposed to use less taps/clicks/steps. I can't help but feel that this search/keyboard thing is an example of where that philosophy is not put into practice.

Resume flaming ;) (in case it isn't clear, i am joking and i hardly think any comments here are out of line)
Did you read the posts in this thread? It isn't an issue at all because there are more things to do than just search and there are more ways to search than just hitting search, most of which are somewhat faster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6