Working with Windows 10 I keep running into things that would be super easy to fix but that are somehow never addressed. These don't seem to float to the top of the Feedback Hub either, so why not list them in a thread and hope that MS sees them.
All I want for Christmas is for Microsoft to fix these.. :angel:
- start the People app. The search box is not active! d'Oh!! You have to hit 'tab' six times, or mouse all the way over to the search box and click before you can start typing. SUPER easy to fix.
- hitting the Win key and typing a name, Cortana doesn't search contacts. d'Oh! Why on earth are contacts not worth searching?
- In mail when I get ten photo attachments I want to open the first one, and swipe to the next one. That doesn't work, instead we need to open and close each image individually. Easily a weekly annoyance.
- minor gripe: Hitting Winkey-S and typing 'remind me to start a thread at noon' nicely shows the reminder I want to make, but I can't just hit enter to complete setting the reminder. I need to hit tab five times and hit enter.
- using Cortana to set a reminder, and then mouse-clicking the time field we get a touch control to change the time. This is cumbersome to use with the keyboard. Please allow us to type in the time field directly (as well).
- Hitting the Win key to open Start and doing anything other than typing immediately disables the search-as-you-type option. Example, hit Win, then touch-pan the start menu, and then type. At this point nothing happens. Why disable typing?
- The surprise Cortana web search. Type "remind me to <something embarrassing> at 1 pm tomorrow". Cortana struggles, and boom, your private request is sent to bing.com. I really want the web search put behind a button, or at least add a toggle to disable web searches by Cortana.
OK, those are my gripes for now, anybody else have Win10 annoyances that are easily fixed?
I've been wondering the same thing these last three years in insiders, despite feedback. It's like they get lost in translation. There are so many!
For me many gripes are with a lack of fit and finish of the tablet experience.
-two snapped apps in tablet mode, landscape orientation still won't rotate to portrait mode automatically. I have to toggle desktop mode, then rotate the device, then reengage tablet mode. Crazy!
-Many app are not snappable left or right in tablet mode with touch. I actually have to use the long press (=right click mouse) to open the context menu to choose place left or place right to snap them. A mouse gesture for touch input. Crazy!
-In tablet mode we still can not snap apps vertically, currently only horizontally. This makes multitasking in portrait orientation unusable often for certain app combo's, due to the narrow widths of the apps.
-For many apps I can't drag and drop explorer into one snap and then a second into the other. Explorer always wants to stay fullscreen when snapped first. I often first have to snap the second app first in place, before snapping explorer. Frustrating.
-windows search is often not active when I want to start typing in tablet mode. I have to press windows search twice (windows key + text box) to start typing directly. In windows 8 this happened effortlessly all the time. Strange to see access to search work less ideal in windows 10 than 8.
-In windows 8 we can edit multiple live tiles. In windows 10 we still can't after 3 years.
-I saddened we can't customize/personalize live tiles any more than the current limits of themes and a few minder tweaks in settings. Ik think in windows 10 consumers and end users should be allowed to personalize live tiles to a greater degree. Live tile customization is left at the control of the developers, but I think more controls should have been there, at the control of the end user, from the start. Live tiles 2.0. For me this was easily the next step, coming from windows 8 and windows 10 mobile. Things like control of tile color, transparency, hue and text size of all live tiles should have been there.
-A major annoyance is that there still aren't more Cortana languages and supported regions. Cortana is being updated in features, yet many people don't or can't use them for the more basic reasons.
I could go on, but will stop here.