Engadget and others to preview Apollo on 6/20

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm beginning to become more and more convinced that Microsoft's ploy to use Windows 8 to sell Windows Phone will work.

There seems to be tons of excitement over Windows 8 by OEMs at Computex and new desktops/laptops appear to be mostly retrofitted with touchscreens to take advantage of the full range of Windows 8 features. (Right now, consumer reviews of Windows 8 are largely only negative because the consumer can't use the touch features. Well most consumers don't upgrade the OS on their computers, anyways. Whenever a new OS is released, they purchase a new one. )

I predict that the major Windows facelift will cause Windows 8 to be quite successful and bring users to Windows Phone 8 as it more closely resembles desktop Windows. Apple might also be caught scrambling. TBH, fitting touchscreens into everything is something I thought Apple would do first.

I've actually seen the complete opposite...

most computer orientated website reviews I've read have been negative, and most analysts (all that I have read/seen) are predicting windows 8 to be a negative experience for the company.

I seriously don't think most people are down with full touchscreen laptops/computers, it has been attempted before in the past. (hp slate as just one exmple).

They need to tighten up the experience for older users used to windows 7 who like using a mouse or trackpad, otherwise they are going to do themslves a disservice.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
and most analysts (all that I have read/seen) are predicting windows 8 to be a negative experience for the company.
Citations please? I have not read this anywhere and I happen to be an avid follower of business news.

(Anyways, most tech sites including Engadget happen to be reviewing Windows 8 on a non-touch computer as well. There are few touch computers readily available.)

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Citations please? I have not read this anywhere and I happen to be an avid follower of business news.

(Anyways, most tech sites including Engadget happen to be reviewing Windows 8 on a non-touch computer as well. There are few touch computers readily available.)

Google is your friend..

Search windows 8 analysts prediction

Windows 8 failure

Or any combo of the above. It has been fairly well covered on any or all major tech sites

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I believe most tech sites predicted the iPad would be a huge failure as well. W8 on exsisting hardware will be clunky, I doubt people with current laptops will upgrade them to W8. But for future purchases, the amount that manufacturers can do with their hardware to take advantage of W8 is awesome. Better trackpads with fluid built in gestures, touch screens, hybrid laptops/tablets.. W8 has revolutionized what the "PC" is about for consumers and gives a casual user an alternative beyond Apple if they want a fast, fluid stable OS to do basic tasks, games, or schoolwork type things.

The enterprise will continue to upgrade to W7 which has proven itself to be a major success.

On another note, I'm curious why people think Engadget is anti-WP. The main reason I went to WP is because of Engadget's review of Mango back when it came out. They praised it very highly and swayed me from Droid to WP.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
German Business Week claims no Apollo update for current handsets - to settle for WP 7.7

Microsoft apparently expects current Windows Phone users to be happy with this solution, with a Microsoft manager quoted as saying: ”If people have the same functions on their smartphones, they do not care what version number the operating system is.”

That seems to be the most logical solution. I've always assumed that I wouldn't get the full Windows Phone 8 experience but would still receive some sort of update that would add more functionality to my current device.

But remember, this is all just a rumor until we learn more June 20th.

Last edited:

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Google is your friend..

Search windows 8 analysts prediction

Windows 8 failure

Or any combo of the above. It has been fairly well covered on any or all major tech sites
I can't believed I actually bothered to Google your search terms; because, not ONE of the top 10 links came from an actual security analyst firm. All the links came from tech blogs. A random tech writer is NOT an analyst. (That's not to mention that I highly doubt that the bulk of those bloggers even proclaimed to make a vague projection of sales; but, simply whether they liked or disliked the product.)

Furthermore, now that I think of it, it is actually highly uncommon for any security analyst firms to make projections regarding upcoming launches. I would like to add that Microsoft projects the Windows 8 launch will be the biggest Windows launch ever and most actual analysts tend to base their findings off information published by the corporation.

Last edited:

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
As far as the Win8 predictions...there are a lot of haters out there. Just stop over at Tom's Hardware and you will find plenty of haters...but most are just idiots who run XP and can't list any actual issue with Win8...they just vent.

I think it will be a success. I just used the Message app on my Win8 pc for the first time yesterday, i had totally forgot messaging was integrated in like WP. Works really well. They do need to co-mingle the calendar with other apps like Maps and IE though. Would love to have a Maps link in my Calendar event under the "where" field...both on WP and Win8

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I can't believed I actually bothered to Google your search terms; because, not ONE of the top 10 links came from an actual security analyst firm. All the links came from tech blogs. A random tech writer is NOT an analyst. (That's not to mention that I highly doubt that the bulk of those bloggers even proclaimed to make a vague projection of sales; but, simply whether they liked or disliked the product.)

Furthermore, now that I think of it, it is actually highly uncommon for any security analyst firms to make projections regarding upcoming launches. I would like to add that Microsoft projects the Windows 8 launch will be the biggest Windows launch ever and most actual analysts tend to base their findings off information published by the corporation.

Here is just one of many...

Not my fault you have Google troubles

No respite for HP, Dell in Windows 8: BMO | Reuters

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Anyone following Computex will see the absolute frenzy caused by the new device form factors and Windows 8. Finally OEM's have a chance to sell those sci-fi concepts with an OS that can do practically anything and is still stable and blazing fast. Caught any videos of Windows 8 on Ivy Bridge Core i7 hardware? Its so fast its practically at light speed, and this is still running the Release Previes. Plus with all consumers seemingly frothing at the mouth for touchscreen experience the hybrid devices especially will be hot sellers.

These so called analysts ignore the fact that traditional pc's/laptops are not really necessary and are too complicated for a lot of people, and Windows 8 accomodates them while still allowing traditional computing scenarios for power users, if only they would see beyond the Start screen. Not to mention that pc sales are being affected by the ipad. Windows 8 bridges the gap perfectly; if MS went the way some are saying and have the Metro UI only on tablets pc sales will still decline as more people choose tablets as their main computing device. With Windows 8 everywhere and with the syncing ability and new form factors people can move seamlessly between all their devices and enjoy the same experience.

Personally, with all the goodies on display at Computex, I cant wait. :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Here is just one of many...

Not my fault you have Google troubles

No respite for HP, Dell in Windows 8: BMO | Reuters
Maybe I'm missing something here with this thread but I don't think a financial analyst can make an educated guess on the fortunes of an OS based on speculation of the PC maker's future. Just because some numbers cruncher plays with a computer makes him an expert? I see the Moon every night, doesn't make me an astronaut.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something here with this thread but I don't think a financial analyst can make an educated guess on the fortunes of an OS based on speculation of the PC maker's future. Just because some numbers cruncher plays with a computer makes him an expert? I see the Moon every night, doesn't make me an astronaut.

I don't think most people know what analysts do, this post definitely demonstrates that..

Anyway a huge majority of analyst predictions I've read turned out to be right.

Reading the market, peoples ability to change, and sociological aspects of our culture all come into play.

We will see though..

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't think most people know what analysts do, this post definitely demonstrates that..

Anyway a huge majority of analyst predictions I've read turned out to be right.

Reading the market, peoples ability to change, and sociological aspects of our culture all come into play.

We will see though..

We will see you looking salty when proven wrong and then finally disappear from these forums.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
We will see you looking salty when proven wrong and then finally disappear from these forums.

I dunno, I'd say he already disapeared pretty nicely for me as soon as I added him to my ignore list (now if everyone else would just stop replying to his posts then his invisibility would be complete).:p

trumpet116

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The thing is Engadget isn't the only blog biased against everything MS vs. the magical Apple. There's SO much negativity involved in articles and comment sections written about new MS products. I just don't get it. Have these people spent some time with the platform and devices?

I happen to find Engadget to be one of the best, least biased. You've got to admit Apple makes good products, even if you're not their target user.

the_tyrant

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I LOVE windows 8.
It makes my fujitsu windows 7 convertible a LOT better.
It takes the good parts of WP7(Live tiles, fast boot speed, etc), and meshes it together with the strengths of traditional windows (app support, desktop, etc).

If you don't like metro, its actually quite easy to avoid it.

When I'm on mouse and keyboard, I barely go into metro. For me, its just a new start menu.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I love Win 8 as well even on my laptop. It makes me pick it up again and play with it like it's new. Feels great to have that "ecosystem" feel from my comp to my phone. Just feels like home. Excited for Apollo

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking forward to the preview on 6/20. My wife and I had tried WP7 late last year, but wound up trading those phones in for 4s'. Anyhow, fast forward to about a month ago an my wife misses WP7. She doesn't care that every app she has on iOS isn't available on WP. Anyhow, little tight on cash at the moment, which is a good thing, as I think we are going to wait for a WP8 device before jumping back in to WP. I hope they announce a date so I have a goal to have funds available and have an app ready for it. I've been messing with an iPhone app, keep changing my mind on how I want it to work, and keep trying to squeeze more speed out of it. But my wife wants a version of it ready before we switch back. Sorry, think I went a little off topic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes