Turn off 3G but keep Data on (Trophy)?

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I was just looking for some ways to extend battery life, and thought turning 3G off would help. But on my Trophy, the only option is for all data on or off.

I poked around a little and see that if I'm set to GSM, the option for 3G or Edge is there. But switch back to Global or CDMA, and it's gone.

Any idea if there's a way to get this working?

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
sadly we dont have that Option ...

you can turn the data off and keep 3G on but not the other way around :(

Can't you switch to Edge (2G) and keep the data on? I can do it on my Optimus 7, but it's GSM only, I don't have that "Global" setting, only 3G and Edge.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Can't you switch to Edge (2G) and keep the data on? I can do it on my Optimus 7, but it's GSM only, I don't have that "Global" setting, only 3G and Edge.

well now that i think about it , maybe SOME phones can .. i know that some phones ( like the NOKIA) can go into the DIAGNOSIS menu ( code: ##3282# ) and change it to get ether 2g/3g/4g .

but the problem with that is your STILL connected to the network meaning your still using battery

and if you switch to 2G (thinking your gona save on battery ) and your in a LOW RECEPTION area for 2G, your actually gona end up using MORE battery then on 3g/4g...

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that if you're on Verizon (CDMA), 3G doesn't use any more battery power than 1X, unless your 3G signal is weak and it keeps having to switch between 3G and 1X. So that's why they don't give you an option.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The option to change your network speed exists on all WPs, but Carriers lock it for some reason. Probably because they want you to use more data, and they don't pay your electric bill. For example, unbranded Surrounds have the option, but the AT&T version does not. Yes, there is a way to activate this option on a Lumia 900. Not sure about the Trophy though. You may have to do some poking around over at XDA-Developers.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
CDMA always consumes more battery than GSM but anyway. When I had my arrive which is a CDMA phone it didn't have that option but my GSM T-mobile HD7 does. So it might be that with CDMA phones the data is on the same switch as voice which is also why you cannot talk and surf at the same time.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that if you're on Verizon (CDMA), 3G doesn't use any more battery power than 1X, unless your 3G signal is weak and it keeps having to switch between 3G and 1X. So that's why they don't give you an option.

I don't know if 3G uses more, less, or the same power as 1x on Verizon, but my problem is that I work in a building (for AT&T, hah!) where the reception is completely nil. My phone goes through 60% of its battery in the 8 hours I'm here, while it goes nuts searching for a signal and switching between 3G and 1x.

I figured that telling it to stop even trying for 3G would help, but it doesn't look like that's an option. Maybe I should just turn off data entirely while here. :(

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if 3G uses more, less, or the same power as 1x on Verizon, but my problem is that I work in a building (for AT&T, hah!) where the reception is completely nil. My phone goes through 60% of its battery in the 8 hours I'm here, while it goes nuts searching for a signal and switching between 3G and 1x.

I figured that telling it to stop even trying for 3G would help, but it doesn't look like that's an option. Maybe I should just turn off data entirely while here. :(

well if you have NO reception keeping your data on would also be useless, your better of Turning AIRPLANE mode ON and connecting to WIFI. if you can.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
well if you have NO reception keeping your data on would also be useless, your better of Turning AIRPLANE mode ON and connecting to WIFI. if you can.

Well... let me put it this way. Some data does get through, because I can get texts. Sending is spotty- I had two fail this morning. As for voice, the phone will ring and as soon as I go to answer it, it'll drop the call.

Maybe I should just turn the poor thing off. LOL

I can connect to wifi- I turn on sharing on my imac and connect to that. If I'm on Airplane mode with wifi on, will I still get texts? I think not- is that right?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well... let me put it this way. Some data does get through, because I can get texts. Sending is spotty- I had two fail this morning. As for voice, the phone will ring and as soon as I go to answer it, it'll drop the call.

Maybe I should just turn the poor thing off. LOL

I can connect to wifi- I turn on sharing on my imac and connect to that. If I'm on Airplane mode with wifi on, will I still get texts? I think not- is that right?
I'd recommend just turning off cellular data. You can't get texts with airplane mode on, but you can still send and receive SMS texts with cell data off. If you get a MMS picture message, you'll still get a text with a link that you can click on to download the picture once you're connected to cell data again.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend just turning off cellular data. You can't get texts with airplane mode on, but you can still send and receive SMS texts with cell data off. If you get a MMS picture message, you'll still get a text with a link that you can click on to download the picture once you're connected to cell data again.

Thanks... I think this is the route I'll be taking. With WP Shortcut Tiles that's pretty painless. But boy do I wish they could just toggle instead of opening the panel! :)

Thanks for the input and information, everyone. Much appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon