Klingon apps, what in blazes is going on?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I understand that the method for closing apps on WP8.1 has changed because some people found the previous method confusing. Thing is, I just can't work out the logic behind the new system and that is making it very confusing indeed.

It appears that some apps (and even settings pages) close when I hit back, in fact most do. Some, however, fail to close properly but just become Klingon apps, inaccessible by flip, instead. Including some settings pages, but not others. How making them inaccessible via flip helps confusion I don't know, but I can wake them up by long pressing the back button. I can even close them properly by long press.

What I'm trying to work out (having given up trying to work out how this inconsistency is less confusing...) is what the logic is. How can I tell, without going to the task manager every time, which apps will out stay their welcome and become Klingons? What's the thinking? I assume there has been some thinking involved, but I can't for the life of me work out what marks out one app/settings page as a closer and what marks one out as a Klingon.

So, gurus, how do I easily identify Klingon apps in WP8.1?

Thanks!

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Nothing wrong. Silverlight apps, all wp8.0 were silverlight, closes when you press back button, new apps Windows RunTime go to sleep.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Oh, right. Not so easy to work with, as it's not obvious which is which. Shame there's no marking on the app icons to let folk know. That would take all the guessing out of it.

This bit of the OS feels rather messy now, with no unified experience between apps. It feels a bit like an Android approach. Hope they drop this in the final release.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes