Connect to 3G or 4G only....

Hamza Ali Joiyah

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Dear users, is there any way to force my Lumia 920 running WP 8.1 to connect to 3G or 4G only.... As in my country 3G signal is weaker than 2G and phone itself switches to 2G network in middle of my work which is killing whole purpose of a smartphone.... It is highly irritating to wait(sometimes for hours) to wait for the phone to switch back to 3G..... At the same time my friends are enjoying 3G on their DROIDS.... Please help how to solve this problem as it is making me to hate my formerly beloved LUMIA......

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Make sure your APNs are set correctly. You can get them from your carrier. Start there first. I think I saw something about forcing 3G in forums or on xda-developers. A trick you might try is to toggle Airplane Mode on/off when you see the issue. It's worked for me on low 4G to 2G in the past.

Good luck.

a_rob

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
You can set it to 3G only via settings/mobile network/highest connection speed - this will turn off the 4G antenna.

You cannot set it to 4G-only (that I'm aware of). If you set it at 4G speed it will still have the3G antenna active for when there's no 4G signal

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Rob, that likely won't help as the setting is for HIGHEST data connection. His ( I think he) 3G is dropping off for the stronger 2G. The second paragraph of your statement is completely true though. 8)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue. I already have the correct APN for my network. At first I thought it was my phone, but when I realized there are many users who have the same issue as I have, then I immediately sought for help from forums. Lumia 920 user here.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
You set 3G as the highest speed is all. So when the signal is weak, it will go down to the stronger 2G signal. Kloyd, are you running on 8.1 as well? If so, its entirely possible that the DP8.1 OS just needs the correct firmware so that the radio(s) function in a more correct manner. And if on 8.1, was this an issue before the Dev Preview?

Hamza Ali Joiyah

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
No this problem even existed before updating to wp 8.1..... I think MS needs to do somethinf with it as it is a very crucial feature here in Pakistan as 3G signal is quite weak here as compared to 2G....

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Like I suggested, I've had issues before where 2G was much stronger than 4G and would connect there. I just toggled airplane mode on, then off and most often, it would reconnect to 4G. I can understand the frustration. There are parts of Colorado & New Mexico where I have this issue a lot. Coincidentally, these areas I speak of have a strong resemblance to Pakistan geologically.

Musaib124

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Oh dear hamza 3G/4G are in trial .. Wait for complete launch of service. Then your problem will bw resolved. Try 3G in areas which is listed in trial areas you'll get what i am trying to say.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar