04-04-2014 12:43 PM
44 12
tools
    Hi, i just installed the developer preview thing for when 8.1 gets released, but read the program can kill your phone then your screwed (<< in simple terms)... Question is does anyone normally have problems from the previews, thanks
    03-04-2014 10:07 AM
    What MS sends out for the dev preview should be the final build, it's just one way for them to get around the carrier certification process.

IIRC depending on the carrier, dev-unlocking your phone may void your warranty, but I didn't have an issue trading in my 928 when I ran into issues.
    teckris, weedog1889 and xandros9 like this.
    03-04-2014 10:47 AM
    Thanks kage
    03-04-2014 12:00 PM
    IIRC depending on the carrier, dev-unlocking your phone may void your warranty, but I didn't have an issue trading in my 928 when I ran into issues.
    I doubt that has even ever happened and service center employees typically could care less unless the customer is being rude to them or lying about how the phone got damaged.
    weedog1889 and xandros9 like this.
    03-04-2014 02:02 PM
    I doubt that has even ever happened and service center employees typically could care less unless the customer is being rude to them or lying about how the phone got damaged.
    Yeah this is true.
    weedog1889 likes this.
    03-04-2014 02:09 PM
    Windows Phone 8.1 dev Preview r Windows Phone 8.1 release date?

L520 kullanarak gnderdim.
    03-04-2014 02:13 PM
    The rumors are we may have the dev preview in early April after it is announced.

It may be a smart idea for MS to do this ASAP to get developers interested.
    03-04-2014 03:06 PM
    Hi, i just installed the developer preview thing for when 8.1 gets released, but read the program can kill your phone then your screwed (<< in simple terms)... Question is does anyone normally have problems from the previews, thanks
    I did with GDR3 on my ATIV S, it would black screen after a factory reset but that seems to be due to an incompatibility with the firmware that has since been corrected with the latest firmware update.
    03-04-2014 03:37 PM
    You can flash a different rom if you have a Nokia, so it can fix itself.
    03-04-2014 04:01 PM
    You can flash a different rom if you have a Nokia, so it can fix itself.
    I have an ATIV S so it was sent away for 7-10 days to be reflashed, good that I have a 2 year warranty!!
    03-04-2014 04:07 PM
    So dev preview for amber for black will be the same for 8.1? There won't be another one to preview and we just keep this one?
    03-04-2014 09:31 PM
    Dev preview app, wp central say that it may void your warrenty. I contacted Nokia about it and they confirmed it. As much as I want to upgrade with dev preview, i wont. I cant risk it.
    03-04-2014 10:11 PM
    So dev preview for amber for black will be the same for 8.1? There won't be another one to preview and we just keep this one?
    No, this does not involve the Amber/Black/etc updates from Nokia or carrier
    This is only for the MS Windows Phone Update. So, Windows Phone 8.1 is an MS update only, not much to do if anything with nokia really.
    Amber and Black were from Nokia,,, GDR2 was from MS that came along with Amber I believe,,, GDR3 was from MS that did come along side Black update
    There is not an update from Nokia in the WP8.1 update that I am aware of. (like Amber or Black)

When you get the Preview,, it pretty much is what will be sent out to all carriers I believe. So, correct, unless there is some sort of last minute change
    and the carrier releases that change, you would get the updated change, but I do not think you would get the update again from preview otherwise.
    But I am not 100% certain on that.

Dev preview app, wp central say that it may void your warrenty. I contacted Nokia about it and they confirmed it. As much as I want to upgrade with dev preview, i wont. I cant risk it.
    I did the GDR3 update through the Preview and had no issues. I will be doing the WP8.1 update as well.
    I will be posting about it when that happens.
    Zapella Tiago and weedog1889 like this.
    03-04-2014 11:18 PM
    Any idea if field test (##3282#) will return on WP 8.1?

Sent from my RM-937_im_mea3_1019 using Tapatalk
    03-04-2014 11:38 PM
    I am sorry but how do you know that an unannounced product that may or may not be available via Microsoft as a preview will kill your phone? No offense but you have a total of three posts and have already managed to take an OS that is not even available, and probably will not be for some time, and put a massive negative spin on it. You could have just as easily dropped the drama and asked if anyone could explain how the developers preview program works. Instead, you tell the world in "simple terms" that something with which you have no experience will kill your phone.
    03-05-2014 07:21 AM
    how long have you had your phone for?
    03-05-2014 08:27 AM
    About 6 months , my first foray into wp and loving it loving my 925 its gotta be 1 of the best out there for sure
    paulxxwall likes this.
    03-05-2014 08:45 AM
    About 6 months , my first foray into wp and loving it loving my 925 its gotta be 1 of the best out there for sure
    Mine is already out of warranty so an easier decision. I thought if the dev preview crashes your phone you'll be able to recover it and flash a brand new rom.
    weedog1889 likes this.
    03-05-2014 09:10 AM
    Thanks borasar, and the rest of you guys for the info. One last question if something did go wrong(which seems unlikely thanks to your info), is it an easy job to flash my rom (lol at thoughts in my head) or would i be better off with a repair shop
    03-05-2014 09:30 AM
    Thanks borasar, and the rest of you guys for the info. One last question if something did go wrong(which seems unlikely thanks to your info), is it an easy job to flash my rom (lol at thoughts in my head) or would i be better off with a repair shop
    I didn't have any problem with the gdr3 install through developer preview on 6 devices. I would say you are safe but the flashing process is about the backup more than anything. Everything else is easy.
    borasar and weedog1889 like this.
    03-05-2014 09:53 AM
    Depends what phone you have, I had to send my ATIV S into a service centre to be reflashed as Samsung don't provide stock ROMs or flashing tools. Nokia does provide a way to flash your phone to get it working again.
    weedog1889 likes this.
    03-05-2014 10:05 AM
    I didn't have any problem with the gdr3 install through developer preview on 6 devices. I would say you are safe but the flashing process is about the backup more than anything. Everything else is easy.
    yes make sure you back-up stuff, regardless of whether the phone will be flashed by you or fixed through a warranty process.
    03-05-2014 10:11 AM
    Don't install the Dev Preview update the day it's released. Wait a week and see if crashes are reported, if not then updating should be fine.
    Just hold the temptation for a week, though it'll be hard :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    badcat and weedog1889 like this.
    03-05-2014 10:29 AM
    No, this does not involve the Amber/Black/etc updates from Nokia or carrier
    This is only for the MS Windows Phone Update. So, Windows Phone 8.1 is an MS update only, not much to do if anything with nokia really.
    Amber and Black were from Nokia,,, GDR2 was from MS that came along with Amber I believe,,, GDR3 was from MS that did come along side Black update
    There is not an update from Nokia in the WP8.1 update that I am aware of. (like Amber or Black)

When you get the Preview,, it pretty much is what will be sent out to all carriers I believe. So, correct, unless there is some sort of last minute change
    and the carrier releases that change, you would get the updated change, but I do not think you would get the update again from preview otherwise.
    But I am not 100% certain on that.

I did the GDR3 update through the Preview and had no issues. I will be doing the WP8.1 update as well.
    I will be posting about it when that happens.
    I meant gdr3, sorry. Which is what I did as well on my 928, but since I have the app do I leave it how it is or switch it to off. And if it's on will the preview go through that same app as well?
    03-05-2014 11:26 AM
    I meant gdr3, sorry. Which is what I did as well on my 928, but since I have the app do I leave it how it is or switch it to off. And if it's on will the preview go through that same app as well?
    If I understand your question correctly, after you dev-unlock your phone, you shouldn't have to do anything else. I don't believe you can revert your phone back either, it will remain unlocked, so you should get the 8.1 update once it's available.
    03-05-2014 11:47 AM
44 12