The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-26-2014 05:30 PM
126 12345 ...
tools
    TBH, it is still very recognizable. Regardless of the kind of background image I have, people know right away that it is a WP. The tiles are still very vibrant and easy to distinguish. Everyone that ha seen it has thought it was very cool. I have run into a couple people that did not like it and thought that since it was an option, it's okay either way.
    Some people think that vibrant colours are too much exaggerated. This new option is a good solution for it.
    04-01-2014 12:59 PM
    They won't get W8 style backgrounds, that's not a choice, that's limitation
    That's what I've been talking to several days, Microsoft will own the inverse of the style she cherishes, nothing would be more obvious than the following design windows 8.1. And still does remain with a limitation.
    Jaskys likes this.
    04-01-2014 01:14 PM
    I'd like transparent tiles on Windows 8.1 desktop.
    http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/u...1.png~original

I like to see my wallpaper beneath the tiles here.
    That would be awfull, you know that visibility of your information on certain tile would depend on background? It would criple usability of start menu
    Rodrigo Mendes likes this.
    04-01-2014 01:48 PM
    That would be awfull, you know that visibility of your information on certain tile would depend on background? It would criple usability of start menu
    You probably notice most of my tiles are small anyway. I really don't use the tiles for information other than for calendar and weather apps. I'm usually in desktop anyway so I don't see much of the start menu.
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    04-01-2014 01:53 PM
    Why is this a loss? just because you want this look doesn't mean others wont..

And most users would continue using the themed colours anyways
    04-01-2014 03:08 PM
    I don't care what my phone looks like from two meters away, I care how it looks when I'm holding it.
    04-01-2014 03:44 PM
    I don't care what my phone looks like from two meters away, I care how it looks when I'm holding it.
    of course you don't, that's why this thread isn't about personal experiences..... Its about brand identity.
    04-01-2014 03:55 PM
    I'd like transparent tiles on Windows 8.1 desktop.
    http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/u...1.png~original

I like to see my wallpaper beneath the tiles here.
    How did you do that with 8.1? I can't find it
    04-01-2014 04:06 PM
    Hey guys what's the fuzz?

You have been able to do this for ages now with the help of certain apps.
    How to create awesomely artistic Windows Phone Start screens - Nokia Conversations

38d02813-91bb-4275-bc32-3d784d9582f3.png original.jpg
    04-01-2014 06:08 PM
    of course you don't, that's why this thread isn't about personal experiences..... Its about brand identity.
    I actually agree with you. I think that solid colored tiles are simply truer to the metro design language that Zune, WP7/8, and Windows 8 have heralded. I'm not going to use translucent tiles except to maybe introduce another solid color.
    taymur likes this.
    04-01-2014 10:00 PM
    But they are still unique , they are LIVE TILES It will still show key information right on your start screen , they are giving what users requested for
    Sorry to burst your bubble what worldwide Windows Phone has about 4.0% market share. Obviously it's not what users "requested".
    04-01-2014 10:41 PM
    Sorry to burst your bubble what worldwide Windows Phone has about 4.0% market share. Obviously it's not what users "requested".
    11 hour to go ;)
    04-01-2014 10:55 PM
    11 hour to go ;)
    even less...... 😁😁😁
    04-02-2014 12:20 AM
    And this is why Microsoft opted for "tilegrounds", not true backgrounds AND the tilegrounds - without the black/white background to differentiate the tiles it would just look like a giant photo....with some icons scattered around
    04-02-2014 01:17 AM
    Hey!

I am 100% with taymur.
    It's not only about seeing the phone from 2 meters away, it's about the whole design language, which gets lost with the use of these images.
    In my opinion you should not always give the choice to customers.
    What nonsense!
    Everyone should be forced to use same interface because one person likes it? That is just ridiculous.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    04-02-2014 01:22 AM
    I don't understand the point of this thread. If you like backgrounds, you can have a background. If you like metro ui then you can stay with plain tiles.
    04-02-2014 01:26 AM
    Do you know that tiles and live tiles will be on Windows Phone 8.1?

And I can recognize the metro/modern UI in the picture in the op post.

Really, I can't understand the "fear" in the OP.
    04-02-2014 01:31 AM
    What nonsense!
    Everyone should be forced to use same interface because one person likes it? That is just ridiculous.
    Really, you think this is ridiculous, that's how 90% of our universe operates. Someone creates Something, then Someone else uses it.

I don't see you complaining about cars built-in OSs, every car manufacturer creates his own ridiculous interface, while if one of them just grabs an 8" galaxy tab or an ipad or a surface and throw it in there, they will be done! with way more better experience. soo I don't really get your point.

anyway, what I think this will do is not really pump up WP sales, I guess it will go the other way around. and its just a guess to play with for the next 9 hours :D :D
    04-02-2014 01:33 AM
    ...anyway, what I think this will do is not really pump up WP sales, I guess it will go the other way around...
    I disagree... The sales lost by Windows Phone not standing out from a couple of meters away will be completely overrun by the sales gained by actually giving people what they want. So many people don't consider WP due to not having backgrounds. Now imagine how many people might be willing to adopt WP now that they can set backgrounds (in an elegant and unique way, might I add).
    Tom Snyder and Rawliglat x like this.
    04-02-2014 01:44 AM
    Really, you think this is ridiculous, that's how 90% of our universe operates. Someone creates Something, then Someone else uses it.

I don't see you complaining about cars built-in OSs, every car manufacturer creates his own ridiculous interface, while if one of them just grabs an 8" galaxy tab or an ipad or a surface and throw it in there, they will be done! with way more better experience. soo I don't really get your point.

anyway, what I think this will do is not really pump up WP sales, I guess it will go the other way around. and its just a guess to play with for the next 9 hours :D :D
    Cars built-in OSs has no relation to the topic of whether users have the freedom to customize the personal smartphones.
    This is part of the reasons why android trumps WP in the market. Due to its flexibility.

You think its okay to force everybody to use the old tiles? DO you think its also okay to force everyone to use transparent tiles? Or you want everyone to just use what you like?
    Like i said, its a matter of choice. People that want the classic option can go for that and people that want the redefined transparent option can also go for that.

Would it increase their sales? I believe the ability to customize your interface would bring more attraction to the OS.
    People like me and many other that like to use their loved ones face as wall papers would have the opportunity to do that once again.

We would have the ability to use artistic wall papers that would bring even more beauty to the UI.
    What is there not to love?

There are lots of thread in this forums where people display how they have customized there homescreen.
    Maybe if you go through one of those you would understand how greatly desired this feature is and you would see microsoft have taken a big step forward with this move.
    04-02-2014 05:28 AM
    Personally, I prefer old good WP8 tiles. Simple yet effective.

On the other hand, I am sure the 8.1 tiles can force new users to go with wp 8.1. My wife main argument she wants some desktop background. :D Now it's sorted and I can buy her new Wp8.1 Lumia. Safe.
    Last edited by minus365; 04-02-2014 at 05:59 AM.
    04-02-2014 05:45 AM
    I was Pro Transparent tiles..........................................................
    And I still am.
    taymur likes this.
    04-02-2014 06:14 AM

How to create awesomely artistic Windows Phone Start screens - Nokia Conversations

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38d02813-91bb-4275-bc32-3d784d9582f3.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	336.0 KB 
ID:	61143 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	61144
    The whole time I was reading this thread I was thinking about this. I have done this to my phone also and people have said oh snap wtf is that, why does it look so cool and I say its cause I got a WP and you running Android.
    04-02-2014 08:04 AM

It's completely different.
    04-02-2014 09:22 AM

It's different. And works like crap, very bad app due the limitations of WP.
    Last edited by Rodrigo Mendes; 04-03-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    04-02-2014 09:22 AM
126 12345 ...