04-26-2014 05:30 PM
126 ... 3456
tools
    I think this feature is going to be loved by some and disliked by others. I think the Start Screen could look too 'busy' with some types of backgrounds, but I'm thinking it could look great with others. As said above, the good thing is that this is completely optional, as most features should be. I'll certainly be giving it a go though.
    04-03-2014 05:27 AM
    I will use it when update will release. If if i don't like it then i would disable this feature instead of making new threads about discomfort.
    04-03-2014 05:33 AM
    I don't hate it, but it's gimmicky. I'd much rather have and use a full spectrum pallet for the background and the tiles.

I wanted this and even more colours:
    James8561 likes this.
    04-03-2014 05:41 AM
    Eh, no. I can see how a dark grey background could work with the current accent colors but the ability to choose any color just doesn't appeal to me. They should just add the ability to pick darker and lighter shades of the current accents like what you see in the multi-tasker and people tiles and that would satisfy almost everyone.
    04-03-2014 05:46 AM
    I don't hate it, but it's gimmicky. I'd much rather have and use a full spectrum pallet for the background and the tiles.

I wanted this and even more colours:
    http://static.squarespace.com/static...78882923/1000w
    Yes yes, very nice. Make a big picture of that neon green color, and set it as background. As simple as that.
    While it would be nice to have more background background (not tile bg) colors, those on AMOLED screens would still use black to conserve battery.
    I'm sure there is going to be an app that will allow you to choose any color from the pallete into gallery to set it as background. I'll make it if no one else will.

Oh yes, a question: they opened the API for lockscreen, what about background? Will apps be able to change that too?

Eh, no. I can see how a dark grey background could work with the current accent colors but the ability to choose any color just doesn't appeal to me. They should just add the ability to pick darker and lighter shades of the current accents like what you see in the multi-tasker and people tiles and that would satisfy almost everyone.
    Noted for my future app ;)
    04-03-2014 05:50 AM
    The things people find to complain about. So easily corrected or ignored. SMH.
    04-03-2014 06:02 AM
    The things people find to complain about. So easily corrected or ignored. SMH.
    I don't like tomatoes on burgers. No burger should ever have them preinstalled. I don't even want them as an optional extra.

;)
    James8561 and cckgz4 like this.
    04-03-2014 02:01 PM
    I don't like tomatoes on burgers. No burger should ever have them preinstalled. I don't even want them as an optional extra.

;)
    btw this is not the topic of this thread, the topic is:

Initially I thought green pepper was a very nice idea to add to a burger, now I think its changing the brand identity, making it taste more like pizza.
    04-05-2014 08:07 AM
    I was not convinced at first, too. But I tried to play with the emulator and I liked it.

capture.jpg
    04-05-2014 10:49 AM
    The effect is very dependent on the wallpaper used and the placement of tiles of course. Lighter backgrounds won't look very good.
    Hildr likes this.
    04-05-2014 12:48 PM

Initially I thought green pepper was a very nice idea to add to a burger, now I think its changing the brand identity, making it taste more like pizza.
    But it is not true that WP8.1 will lose "identity" because transparent tiles. Not at all. Tiles will be there, as always. Remember WP7? Only big and medium files, now we have Small tiles and WP is the same, only better.
    04-05-2014 06:08 PM

And yet, Joe across the street might enjoy green peppers on his burger and has the option to do so. Just as you ultimately have the option to not do so.

At the end of the day, this no more changes the identity of Windows Phone than custom ringtones or different tiles sizes has.
    04-05-2014 08:58 PM
    To the one who started this thread, i can now proudly say that i love the new background setting. There is no reason to hate it. Watch the wpcentral new article on it to remove your hatred.
    James8561 likes this.
    04-16-2014 06:16 AM
    I am annoyed at the introduction of hats, I do not like hats and will not wear one no matter how fashionable they become, I feel that I look more distinctive and unique without a hat.
    04-16-2014 08:44 AM
    This is nonsense, the start screen still consists of live tiles (name another OS which consists of live tiles... yeah I didn't think so) and of cours there is a shiny glowing windows key on the front, wp is still plenty distinguishable

More importantly, people don't even know what a windows phone is no matter which colour my tiles have! They always say like "Oh that's a weird looking Android..."
    Bottom line is, People can't mistake a wp for Android if they don't even know what a wp is
    Maonsie and James8561 like this.
    04-16-2014 08:54 AM
    I'm really enjoying the transparent tiles with the background. If they had gone the route of the background behind non transparent tiles, you would never fully see the background. It works on Windows 8.1 because of your monitor size and the additional negative space. On WP you don't have that extra room, and would essentially have to move tiles around just to see the background
    James8561 likes this.
    04-16-2014 11:25 AM
    It's one thing if the background didn't move while swiping down, it's another that it does. This feature is what wins the transparent tiles for me. Who cares if someone who is far away can't identify it? When you swipe down they will see how beautifully the background image and the tiles interact with one another.
    Personally, I use an image of a very green leaf or a very red sun...Something with apparent color so that it looks just like the old tiles but it's actually a beautiful image.
    04-16-2014 01:44 PM
    The horror! The identity of my phone has been completely changed!

Xpider_MX, Maonsie and L Kapoor like this.
    04-16-2014 02:35 PM
    I really like the backgrounds from PollyScreen. It maintains the "dignity" of the platform.
    04-21-2014 09:50 AM
    The identity never worked in the first place because pigheaded devs kept creating entire tiles rather than allowing the accent colour to shine through. At least transparent tiles are encouraging devs to create transparent tiles which will work with accent colours.
    04-22-2014 07:05 AM
    Many people will keep using it without a background photo, I'm sure!
    I love the background pic feature, my phone is now personalized with my favorite pic.
    04-22-2014 08:30 PM
    Using a background picture now myself and I love it. What's fun is you can use texturized or gradient variations of your favorite theme color to jazz up the phone a lot from the toned down metro look. Much like the frosted blue glass look above. I'm personally sporting a partial Cortana (safe for work) background.
    04-23-2014 08:20 AM
    The horror! The identity of my phone has been completely changed!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7415/...0c46f21a5e.jpg
    Nice, where did you get that one from?
    04-25-2014 09:41 AM
    Well. In my opinion, having the choise is always good and i think it remains Windows Phone in every single way ;)

wp_ss_20140425_0002.jpg wp_ss_20140425_0003.jpg

Greetings.
    04-25-2014 10:14 AM
    To be fair, in regards to some of the original postings here.. Even 95% of people staring at my phone from 1 foot away still don't know what my phone is. And that hasn't changed with WP 8.1.

Here in Canada WP handsets are probably represented by 0.01% of the handset marketshare. BB still dominates, along with iPhone and a zillion Galaxy S phones. The only people I know with WP are the people that I sold them to switch to. Like my parents, girlfriend and some close friends. Everyone else that's seen my WP's over the last few years usually say "What phone is that?", or "Is that an iPhone?" or "Is that Android?". I usually stick with an easy answer and just say "It's Windows." Most respond with puzzled faces and say "Oh.. hmm.". Only a true techie would recognize a Lumia 1520 or someone from the MS Store.

So in a place like Canada the color of my tiles or wallpaper would make zero difference in regards to someone recognizing my device. However, most are intrigued regardless by the color of the phone itself (yellow).
    04-25-2014 11:19 AM
126 ... 3456