I was Pro Transparent tiles, now I'm not.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, the more I see the different backgrounds people are using the worse it looks. Watching the build stream, and the videos on WPC, the phones and OS just look cheap.

The way I see it; yes its great to have that personalisation, but when a stranger or prospective windows phone buyer looks at your "all too personal" background, it will put them right off.

The way the text on the tiles simultaneously contrasts and blends with the background (in addition to the tiles that don't utilise your chosen background which stick out like a sore thumb) just looks awful in my opinion.

Would you be opposed to someone using a tasteful image that was mostly a solid color, gradient or texture? I agree though, most people won't do that.

For a really amusing experience you could use a screen capture of the homescreen as the background.

Xarok

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Would you be opposed to someone using a tasteful image that was mostly a solid color, gradient or texture? I agree though, most people won't do that.

For a really amusing experience you could use a screen capture of the homescreen as the background.

That's the thing, It may look alright with a gradient background or texture, but then why don't they just implement a full spectrum colour pallet, include a favourites section as well to save your most used colour choices.

I mean, this background just looks terrible:

http://www.windowscentral.com/sites...4/04/Windows_Phone_81_final.jpg?itok=Z1kISEkU

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
what Im saying is, if someone looks at your phone, from lets say 2 meters far, while in a plane for example, he wont be able to recognize that its a WP.

that I think is a major loss.
Question. Do you think car dealers should weld their logos onto cars instead of using ones that can be peeled off?

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe this thread is still trending given all the news today. When I look at the forum page and still see this thread, I'm pissed.

chinesepiratefood

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Stop flaming him, you guys! Why can't he address his concerns without ya'll grabbing his throat and hitting his head on the wall.

Why? Because its OPTIONAL. They aren't CHANGING the way it looks the are adding a new option. This entire thread makes no sense because of that reason alone.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
what Im saying is, if someone looks at your phone, from lets say 2 meters far, while in a plane for example, he wont be able to recognize that its a WP.

Course you will.

A. it will be a Nokia (for the considerable future at least)

B. Even with a skinned tile system the flipping and obvious sizing is clearly WP with the Segoe font and minimalist icon design. It's still massively distinguishable.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Many people will keep using it without a background photo, I'm sure!

I think you're right. It's interesting, but I honestly see myself using an image as my background very minimally. I can only see myself using nature images, at that. Might get a bit garish with much else.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I think that we're going to be pleasantly surprised when we see what some graphic artists come up with for use with transparent tiles.

No offense, but for those who want a unified/uniformed/straight-jacketed experience, buy Apple.

I've been a long-time user/developer for mobile Windows from the first Casio Cassiopeia days. I'm excited to see transparent tiles. It is the next logical step beyond live tiles. In some ways, the boring color tiles were a step back from the customizations possible with the PocketPC's "Today" screen.

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I can see some crazy 3Dish depth pic of a city or something looking amazing with this. Obviously if you set some crap res pic of a bright rainbow it'll look like ****.

The majority of Android setups I see posted on androidcentral look like complete garbage BTW.
I think it might depend on whether or not the wallpaper scrolls with the tiles. I am imagining wallpaper that has fixed tile positions sharp and clear with the rest of the image blurred. That might look nice.

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
From all the videos I've seen. The wallpaper thats set for the tiles scrolls a little bit. Pretty much to further create the window pane effect.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, the more I see the different backgrounds people are using the worse it looks. Watching the build stream, and the videos on WPC, the phones and OS just look cheap.

The way I see it; yes its great to have that personalisation, but when a stranger or prospective windows phone buyer looks at your "all too personal" background, it will put them right off.

The way the text on the tiles simultaneously contrasts and blends with the background (in addition to the tiles that don't utilise your chosen background which stick out like a sore thumb) just looks awful in my opinion.

That's why you let them know its a customizable option and then everyone moves on.

Smili

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

When I bought my phone HTC 8X , I bought it because I want something different.Everyone got Samsung , Iphone , even Nokia , but a HTC with Windows Phone , is priceless.I really don`t care if people don`t recognize it .Too bad,their loss.I bought it for me , not for people.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Can I change my mind again, if you notice, Joe used almost a sold red background to sell the new feature, if people implement it that way, then fine. it wont kill the identity. hehe

but I doubt that people will use it like this.

fernancgf

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm I the only one hating the Start Screen Background???

I know I know... is something new so maybe it takes time to get used to but... from my point of view... I hate the background in the Start Screen... It doesn't make sense with the Metro design philosophy... Windows 8 (and above) and Windows Phone 7.8 (and above) design language has a minimalistic approach and that doesn't fit with a background...

I really like Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 but sometimes they make some mistakes that I don't know how in the name of god a company as experienced as Microsoft is capable of ignore...

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: I'm I the only one hating the Start Screen Background???

I'm indifferent but I can see how people don't like it. It's eyecandy for the sake of eyecandy. It's also one of those things that really depends on what taste the user has and the tile arrangement. It can either be elegant or a trainwreck with certain images. I'll probably use it for a few days then go back to the usual solid accent colors. Now if that image can automatically change to the Bing image of the day...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes