WP anti-virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Even so, Malware has got into the Play Store on at least two occasions so it's best practice to have an anti virus/anti malware app installed.

No. Not needed. Don`t spread misinformation when you don`t know everything on a topic.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
No. Not needed. Don`t spread misinformation when you don`t know everything on a topic.

I think we are all guilty of overgeneralizations... you, NEO158, and myself.

As is always the case with any computing related question, the only correct answer is: "it depends".

For AOSP device users (which is the dominant Android flavour in use), who lack access to the Play store, people without anti-virus software are clearly asking for trouble. Most of us westerners have difficulty grasping just how different Russian's and Chinese' Android related security experiences are from our own.

Nevertheless, even us westerners would be well advised to use malware protection software if we decide to side load apps. Then I'd say it is needed.

If an Android device is used to store or access sensitive/confidential data, and the user is simultaneously an app junkie that downloads and experiments with many apps, then I'd also say it is needed. Better yet, don't even use the same device for these two tasks, but that isn't always possible.

My point is that it really depends on how each of us use our devices and what the consequences of an infection would be. Often times, infection is a theoretical threat that is so small I'd say it is safe to ignore, other times it isn't.

I also think it is fair to acknowledge that Android and WP definitely have differences as far as security is concerned. I think that was basically Neo158's main point.

For example, there will always exist some subtle forms of Android malware, that will always slip past Google's protection systems. Anti-virus software won't detect them either, no matter how good they are. One example are the wallpaper apps that were recently discovered in the Play Store. These apps "hijack" a user's device to do bitcoin mining. These apps don't need access to anything on the device to misuse it. They don't steal anything. They cause no harm to your data. All the user will notice is a decrease in battery life and poorer performance. These types of apps are unique to Android due to the platform's flexibility. The more restricted nature of WP and iOS simply wouldn't allow that type of app to function. The good thing about Android, from a malware writers point of view, is that once your malware is able to get itself installed, it is able to do almost anything. In that sense Android is a malware writers wet dream.

Here my point is that although Android's popularity certainly is the main reason it is a preferred targeted for malware developers, that is not the only reason!

In summary, it is correct to acknowledge that Android has more security related issues to deal with than both iOS and WP, but there is no need to overdramatize the risk, particularly not for westerners who are typically hooked up to the Play store.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Moderator please close this thread.

You are right. It's definitely no longer about solving the OP's issue (my fault).

Lets just agree to get back on topic. I'm reluctant to close it just yet, incase the OP requires further assistance. I'll close it if we can't get back on topic though.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I just read a thread from another user asking for a WP Lumia 625 anti-virus but i wanna ask again over this topic since i got a virus on my phone that was passed on to my phone from my laptop and using my anti-virus wont work on scanning my phone either except for the SD card so.... anyone knows about any good anti-virus capable of taking, obviously, a virus off my WP?

Banhcs, do you have a screen protector on your phone? I think I remember somebody a few months back having weird things going on with their screen and once they took off their screen protector they went away.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I think we are all guilty of overgeneralizations... you, NEO158, and myself.

As is always the case with any computing related question, the only correct answer is: "it depends".

For AOSP device users (which is the dominant Android flavour in use), who lack access to the Play store, people without anti-virus software are clearly asking for trouble. Most of us westerners have difficulty grasping just how different Russian's and Chinese' Android related security experiences are from our own.

Nevertheless, even us westerners would be well advised to use malware protection software if we decide to side load apps. Then I'd say it is needed.

If an Android device is used to store or access sensitive/confidential data, and the user is simultaneously an app junkie that downloads and experiments with many apps, then I'd also say it is needed. Better yet, don't even use the same device for these two tasks, but that isn't always possible.

My point is that it really depends on how each of us use our devices and what the consequences of an infection would be. Often times, infection is a theoretical threat that is so small I'd say it is safe to ignore, other times it isn't.

I also think it is fair to acknowledge that Android and WP definitely have differences as far as security is concerned. I think that was basically Neo158's main point.

For example, there will always exist some subtle forms of Android malware, that will always slip past Google's protection systems. Anti-virus software won't detect them either, no matter how good they are. One example are the wallpaper apps were recently discovered in the Play Store. These apps "hijacked" a user's device to do bitcoin mining. These apps don't need access to anything on the device to misuse it. They don't steal anything. They cause no harm to your data. All the user will notice is a decrease in battery life and poorer performance. These types of apps are unique to Android due to the platform's flexibility. The more restricted nature of WP and iOS simply wouldn't allow that type of app to function. The good thing about Android, from a malware writers point of view, is that once your malware is able to get itself installed, it is able to do almost anything. In that sense Android is a malware writers wet dream.

Here my point is that although Android's popularity certainly is the main reason it is a preferred targeted for malware developers, that is not the only reason!

In summary, it is correct to acknowledge that Android has more security related issues to deal with than both iOS and WP, but there is no need to overdramatize the risk, particularly not for westerners who are typically hooked up to the Play store.

That was my point entirely, no platform is completely secure but WP and iOS have less of an issue because of the walled garden nature of their ecosystems. With Android and desktop operating systems it's better to be safe than sorry. I say this because I've seen first hand the destructive nature of malware and virus infections, installing anti virus software after being infected is "shutting the gate after the horses have bolted".

But to keep this on topic, no OP you don't need AV on your Windows Phone and as others have stated it could be a hardware issue so that would be the first thing to get checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes