WP anti-virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm experiencing something similar but not quite the same. It hasn't affected calls at all but it has continuously opened the same app (actually the same screen area)

If it happens again, try this: Hit the Windows button and lock your screen. Does the lock screen keep on moving up and down as if you were lifting it just a tiny bit but not enough to unlock it all the way up? If so, we have the same problem.

I'm really hoping it's not a faulty touch screen, but so far, it seems to be software related. Maybe an app messing things up. I had an app called magnify beta and I correlated this happening to me with using the app, but I have no proof.

Let me know what you find.

Get your touchscreen replaced. Another guy on the forum faced the same problem and he told me that it went away after a touchscreen replacement. A friend of mine had this on his Nokia c5-01 also, same issue. Multiple parts of screen would randomly register touches.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually, viruses aren't impossible, but very unlikely. You'd be surprised to know how extremely lucrative the dealing with exploits is (just sandbox escapes on iOS are worth 6-7 figures, remote exploits way more), Windows Phone has the luck that there are less devices out there.. And normally you should not be the target of someone with either the skill or the money needed to get to your phone. Except you're a spy, and someone's after you :D

There is not way that any app can reach the system files or files from another apps. The only thing a malicious app can do is to use some features with user permissions, like activate/deactivate the camera o internet usage, but apps can't do any damage to the system or damage other apps files, unless you have an unlocked phone and install an app with privileges (only developers can do that).

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
First, you do not have a virus.
Second, for just about any phone, antivirus is a scam.

Tell that to Android users who ended up with malware and rootkits installed on their phones or Symbian 60 users who ended up getting Trojans via Bluetooth!!!

Ever hear of the Carrier IQ rootkit that was preinstalled on certain devices?

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Tell that to Android users who ended up with malware and rootkits installed on their phones or Symbian 60 users who ended up getting Trojans via Bluetooth!!!

Easy to f*** up Android. An enthusiast friend of mine made an Android app that sends SMS at certain intervals once you give it access. And the only way to stop it was to uninstall it. IT WAS JUST FOR FUN.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Is what I meant is that a lot of apps claiming to be an anti viruses, do nothing to protect you. I recall a recent story about one that was highly rated in the android store, but all the app really did was take your money and then do nothing.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Is what I meant is that a lot of apps claiming to be an anti viruses, do nothing to protect you. I recall a recent story about one that was highly rated in the android store, but all the app really did was take your money and then do nothing.

Yes, there are scam anti virus programs on Android but if you download one from a reputable company then that won't happen.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Not in WP, but Android...

I think as long as you don't side load apps, and as long as you have access to the Google Play store (and don't ever use any other app store), you should be safe on Android too. As soon as an Android user violates any one of those rules, that is when risk situation changes dramatically (applies to most people in eastern Europe and Asia, but not in western Europe or the U.S.).

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I hope you don't mean Norton or any such company like that. Even on the PC, I gave up on antivirus a long time ago.

Yes, Norton and AVG, AVAST, McAfee, ESET, Bitdefender, Lookout, Malwarebytes, Sophos, Trend Micro, Kaspersky, Webroot and F-Secure.

Unless you're saying they are all disreputable companies out to scam their potential customers, or are you one of those that believes the AV companies write the viruses to create a market for their software?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I think as long as you don't side load apps, and as long as you have access to the Google Play store (and don't ever use any other app store), you should be safe on Android too. As soon as an Android user violates any one of those rules, that is when risk situation changes dramatically (applies to most people in eastern Europe and Asia, but not in western Europe or the U.S.).

Even so, Malware has got into the Play Store on at least two occasions so it's best practice to have an anti virus/anti malware app installed.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Norton and AVG, AVAST, McAfee, ESET, Bitdefender, Lookout, Malwarebytes, Sophos, Trend Micro, Kaspersky, Webroot and F-Secure.

Unless you're saying they are all disreputable companies out to scam their potential customers, or are you one of those that believes the AV companies write the viruses to create a market for their software?

I just tend to believe that using the built in windows 8 security and safe web practices, that additional virus protection is not needed.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I just tend to believe that using the built in windows 8 security and safe web practices, that additional virus protection is not needed.

Fair enough but what happens when one of those "safe" websites suffers from an SQL injection attack!!!

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
No you didn't, WP doesn't get viruses. Same with iPhone.

Jailbroken iPhones can be quite vulnerable, jail breaking is a virus technically. WP has no such known exploits, so no loopholes for viruses abuse.
You may have an infected file on your phone, but it won't do anything to your phone, only to your PC once you connect it, and the easiest way to get rid of it is to format the SD card (trough the phone, not PC) and reset the phone.

If your phone is acting funny, try resetting it first, otherwise I'd accuse a faulty touch screen rather than a virus.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I just read a thread from another user asking for a WP Lumia 625 anti-virus but i wanna ask again over this topic since i got a virus on my phone that was passed on to my phone from my laptop and using my anti-virus wont work on scanning my phone either except for the SD card so.... anyone knows about any good anti-virus capable of taking, obviously, a virus off my WP?

Windows phone is about 0% to get virus, but some app that you download from nowhere might have access to your photo and upload to a server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte