Simple calendar function...where?

jtmo3

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
WP8.1 on 1520. I am trying to add a calendar entry starting on August 19 from 6pm to 8pm. I want it to occur at that time every Tuesday until October 21. Can it really be that it can't be done on 8.1? I can do it with ease on bb10 and ios. Please tell me I'm missing something here. Help.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Huh. What calendar app are you using? It is self explanatory on the native calendar app. Yes it is possible.

jtmo3

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I am using the MS calendar app. When I try, I get an error about occurrences. Can you give me an simple step by step of how to achieve this? What settings I should have. I'm not seeing this function I guess. Thanks.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I can see the option to do everything expect it stop at a specific date, which you're right is unfortunate as that's what I would say is a basic missing function. Unfortunately you'd have to set the date and time, occur that day weekly...and cancel it after the last day.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Go to Agust 19 click the + symbol. On the new Event page enter your request and scroll down and click the more details button. On the next page click the how long button in your case pick 2hrs. Than click occurs in your case pick every Tuesday. Than at the bottom of the page click the disk icon to save your request. I hope this helps.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Stop date is there. Under more details -->> how long --> Custom

In custom you should see start date and end date.

jtmo3

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Correct oufc. If you set an end date like suggested, you get an event like 70 days long. I do not see a way to do what I am after. This is a major disappointment. Such a basic function that can not be done renders this calendar worthless for me. I thought MS was an enterprise company? How do you leave this function out?

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Correct oufc. If you set an end date like suggested, you get an event like 70 days long. I do not see a way to do what I am after. This is a major disappointment. Such a basic function that can not be done renders this calendar worthless for me. I thought MS was an enterprise company? How do you leave this function out?
It is a huge annoyance which I have previously fed back to Microsoft (and they have acknowledged, but so far not implemented).

jtmo3

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys. It's appreciated. In typical MS fashion, they do something 90% and move on. I can't have this basic function missing from my calendar and I'm not willing to jump through hoops to make it work. I'll end up trading in the 1520 and going back to my z30. Just like the display on email of new since last time opened, I'd rather have unread count, but that's another story.

And MDK, what if you don't have a sync calendar like google or outlook? This is a basic function that MS is either unwilling or unable to implement. Guess I will have to contribute to their declining WP user base by moving on. That's the only way they'll get the message. An enterprise company and "enterprise" mobile device that can't make recurring calendar appointments? Really?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I input recurring appointments using Outlook at my business and home. All the functionality and features are there. The appointments display on my phone just as they should. I'm not making excuses for Microsoft, just explaining the workaround that businesses have to use.

jtmo3

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I understand Kevin and thanks. I've used all 4 "big" os's for mobile and MS is the only one that does not have this function. And I can input them on my BB Z30 or iPhone and they'll show up just fine on the windows phone. It's a serious lack on their part and I won't jump through hoops to make it work. There are other phones out there that provide the function. This is such a basic calendaring function, I can't believe many others are not upset about it. I'll vote with my wallet.

And do businesses really "have" to do that. Maybe that's why WP market share is not gaining or dropping depending on who you listen to. I've been burnt by MS before and I keep trying to give them a chance. But it's almost always been my observation that they get things about 90% there and move on or change direction. Case in point, the calendar. Who sits around at MS and decides, we're going to be an enterprise company with an enterprise device and hey, lets leave out these basic functions and people can use work arounds and "maybe" some day we'll implement them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes