My Wish for Change in Windows Phone Layout

tipu2185

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi WP Central members. I was sitting idle thinking about WP layout. I thought of some changes in WP layout and made rough layout in MS paint.

It is just a personal wish. I thought to share it with you guys and know your opinion. What do you think about it.

Pull down from top should bring quick launch icons and volume settings. Volume settings should be collapsed initially below quick launch icons. Volume settings can be expanded as in current implementation like in image. pull down will push tiles in home screen down wards.

Notification Center should open be swiping homescreen towards right. Notification center should contain only notifications. No quick launch and no setting shortcuts. It will give complete space to notifications. Notifications can be dismissed by swiping notification to right. This will make implementation different from Android \ IOS just like rest of WP OS.

App menu should have search icon on bottom than top. With phone sizes increasing it is difficult to reach top icon with one hand. Setting should give ability to choose whether you are right handed or left handed. For right handed people search icon should be on right bottom. Alphabets to navigate to apps should be on right rather than left. For left handed people setting should reverse it to left side.

Last edited:

nehvada

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
i'm totally with you on that, allthough i would place the control center on the bottom to pull up, just like iOS does, for better handling. and brightness on top of that.

and the volume control is annoying. to change from ring w/ vibrate mode to silent you have to press volume, be quick with tapping the down arrow, press vibrate off, press ringer off. some preset profiles would be nice, with toggles in control center. (just like android)

tipu2185

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Since WP has home screen scrolling from top to bottom I think bottom to upwards pull would be difficult. What do you think.

nehvada

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Since WP has home screen scrolling from top to bottom I think bottom to upwards pull would be difficult. What do you think.

but you scroll mostly somewhere in the middle of the screen, while you can swipe up from the edge of the screen, which will make the difference.

secretskills

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
on notificatoin center. can you access it on anytime or just from homescreen? cos it would be a pain in the *** if you had to go to homescreen first to enable it. and lets say you CAN access it on anytime, i dont think it would be successful... because there are situations where you are in an app and if you swipe to the right you will get somewhere else (internet explorer for example) -> when you swipe to the right you will go back to previous page. and Notification Center should be a quick and useful shortcut. but good idea though.. good thoughts.

tipu2185

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
but you scroll mostly somewhere in the middle of the screen, while you can swipe up from the edge of the screen, which will make the difference.

I personally think IOS has only one physical button so it works. WP has three buttons below, in case of lower end phones they are soft button. Touch from bottom might mix up with them.

on notificatoin center. can you access it on anytime or just from homescreen? cos it would be a pain in the *** if you had to go to homescreen first to enable it. and lets say you CAN access it on anytime, i dont think it would be successful... because there are situations where you are in an app and if you swipe to the right you will get somewhere else (internet explorer for example) -> when you swipe to the right you will go back to previous page. and Notification Center should be a quick and useful shortcut. but good idea though.. good thoughts.

:) I didn't think of that. So true. How about one swipe from top to downwards to get quick launch bar and second swipe to left on quick launch bar to get to notification center. From notification centre swipe to left should take back to app if you came from app and to homesecreen if you came from homescreen.

I thought of notification center like this because I think;

1) Notification center should have more space.
​2) Windows phone layouts are different from android and IOS they should have remain different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon