Anyone have a smooth running 920 with 8.1?

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I had a 920 that ran great. Then 8.1 came and the phone ran like crap. Loading and resuming almost everytime I tried to revert back to the start screen. When it does go back, many tiles remain black for as long as ten seconds, and scrolling the start screen is no longer smooth. Waking the phone up is hit or miss also. Soberness goes real slow, other tones just won't respond for sometime. Apps hang, phone crashes, etc. After two hard reset attempts, I got a hold of a second 920, and all of the above still occurred after two hard resets on this phone. I will be trying my third hard reset on this phone later today.

I have tried the usual with removing the Cortona tile from the start screen, limiting the background apps, etc to no avail.

Do any of you have a smooth running 920 using 8.1? I just keep reading more and more of the sane on Microsoft forums. Does 8.1 run smoother on phones like the 1520 that sport quad core processors? Just trying to figure out where I go from here.

JoaoCSM

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I had a L920 with 8.1 DP (black FW) that ran just as awesome with 8.1 as it did with 8.0.

Now I sold it to buy a 930.

dharvey24

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I've got a 920 running Windows Phone 8.1. Cyan. And to be honest I've not experienced any of the problems you've mentioned. Mine seems to run fine. How much memory are you using? Mine is pretty much empty i.e. no music etc. My apps open and resume without problem. Every now and again YouTube crashes in IE but none of the other apps have ever caused any issues.

Perhaps do it stage by stage and see when it starts to go slow. Is it 8.1 or a specific app that is causing all the problems?

Guess this response doesn't help very much other than to rule that all 920's have problems.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I've got a 920 running Windows Phone 8.1. Cyan. And to be honest I've not experienced any of the problems you've mentioned. Mine seems to run fine. How much memory are you using? Mine is pretty much empty i.e. no music etc. My apps open and resume without problem. Every now and again YouTube crashes in IE but none of the other apps have ever caused any issues.

Perhaps do it stage by stage and see when it starts to go slow. Is it 8.1 or a specific app that is causing all the problems?

Guess this response doesn't help very much other than to rule that all 920's have problems.

Thanks for the help. Microsoft help center also asked about how much space I was using up also. I told them 26GB of the 32GB. They told me I may be using to much. Are you kidding me? You sold me a 32 GB phone. I get I can't fill it to the brim, but I should be able to use 30ish and not have a problem.

Bear-Grills

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes my 920 runs like on the first day never had to reset it or anything even though i use the developer preview ! Maybe u should try to run the DP or when u already use the DP try to go for the official cyan 8.1 update !? I mean what could be bug when u already tried hard resets multiple times.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
My 920 on 8.1 DP does not run smoothly but it doesn't have any of the issues the OP mentioned. It just stutters in the games hub, pictures gallery, files app, and sometimes in the Nokia Camera app. My 820 in comparison runs much smoother.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1020 which has the same dual-core processor as the Lumia 920. And my phone runs great on WP8.1.1 DP + Cyan. Just a few small issues here and there but nothing major hampering performance or speed. The few resuming... and loading... screens I see are only caused when using certain apps (Skype, for example). And yes, my internal memory is full to the brim (only 287MB free). You might have some other issue...

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
My 920 died about a month ago and it was running incredibly poorly. I was still in warranty so Nokia sent out a brand new one. The brand new one is incredibly smooth and has made me fall in love with the 920 all over again.

Depending on how long you've had the 920, I'm gonna say you should chalk it up to wear and tear. Hopefully MS announces a new flagship soon so all the 920 owners can upgrade!

Rieder59

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I've had my 920 nearly a year and love it to bits still now. With 8.1 on no problems whatsoever, this is the best phone ever for me. I usually swap phones often and though I often look around you'd have to tear this phone from my dead hand before I'd part with it. Then I 'd haunt you forevermore..... Smooth as a babies bum it is on 8.1 and looking good in the 4 different colour covers I got for it. That alone is like having a new phone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Mine runs fine with Cyan and DP Update 1. I have no issues, even though I use Glance and Live Folders.

I had issues with Live Lockscreen beta, but I uninstalled it and did the Kids' Corner trick to solve the lag. Since then, everything runs smoothly for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon