Windows Phone 7.8 clarifications

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I watched the video and twice. Only thing I got out of it for 7.8 is the only upgrade is the homepage with the new resizable tiles and a bunch of new apps. They might release some feaures as APPS but, I would not expect the whole thing or a 8.0 part. They have clearly said it in a few places already and that is from Microsoft, not a wanabee blogger.

You will get a interface update and nothing else...Unless something is released later, as of right now, anything else is a 100% ruomor.

If we are only getting the interface update, I hope to get it soon, like a few months before a release of Wp8, so we can get a preview in advance before as we are current WP7 users...

I never thought or felt that we would get the whole W8 experience, but people have obviously been selling 7.8 short

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I am happy with the 7.8 update with only IE10 being the thing I am missing as confirmed. We will get a lot more information when we start talking the user experience then I might have a list of things I want in 7.8 that are only in 8.

The Dual core/Native/NFC support I can wait until I upgrade in March when I will have plenty to choose from and some of those items may actually become useful to me.

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I never thought or felt that we would get the whole W8 experience, but people have obviously been selling 7.8 short

Because 7.8 is short. Microsoft has been very careful about this. Customizations and new apps to bring functionality. There is no core improvements. If you think they are, then you are setting yourself up for more disappointment.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey Um...just a question...
So if MS does away with Zune, And W8 will work with WP8 directly...what about WP7 and W7 etc? Could 7.8 bring Zuneless syncing? Unless I'm missing something, I will always need Zune with my L900 if somehow this isn't updated no????

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
So if MS does away with Zune, And W8 will work with WP8 directly...what about WP7 and W7 etc? Could 7.8 bring Zuneless syncing? Unless I'm missing something, I will always need Zune with my L900 if somehow this isn't updated no????

I doubt they are going to remote uninstall Zune from every ones Windows XP/Vista/7 computers.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I don't believe Win 8 will sync directly with WP8 for music/videos. I think Xbox Music (or just Music) is replacing Zune software for syncing that stuff.

raven2751

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
The only thing i am really concerned about is Bluetooth, if MS have decided that Bluetooth audio is the only profile they are going to include in WP7.8 &WP8 then I’m moving to android. I have been quite happy with my Nokia N8 symbian belle phone, but there will come a time where I will have to upgrade and not being able to use other Bluetooth devices with a windows phone is pointless. NFC support does not interest me at all, and the way the people hub integrates its self with everything just shows what info is available online, (I set up my wife’s Nokia Lumia 800 and when it connected to windows live she did not have to program my phone number in as it was already there, and I am kind of curious where it came from, as I do not have it listed anywhere online that’s connected to windows live).

ps in addition I do not have an account with any social networking site.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
"Bluetooth audio is the only profile they are going to include"

and the way the people hub integrates its self with everything just shows what info is available online

what did u mean by the above two lines?

for phone number part, if u ported the numbers with the sim card and had the same name it will attempt to link it with the online accounts, i think thats probably what happend (thats what happened when i did mine any ways)

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
The only thing i am really concerned about is Bluetooth, if MS have decided that Bluetooth audio is the only profile they are going to include in WP7.8 &WP8 then I?m moving to android.
"Windows Phone 8 introduces new API to enable apps to communicate over Bluetooth. Using this API, an app can connect to another app, or to a device. These core scenarios open up a wide range of possibilities that you can use to make your app more connected."

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Because 7.8 is short. Microsoft has been very careful about this. Customizations and new apps to bring functionality. There is no core improvements. If you think they are, then you are setting yourself up for more disappointment.

Why should you expect more ? Is all those Android 2.3 users who got their phone 6 months ago getting ANYTHING ? How about the Android 3.0(or some 4.0 users) users, are they ALL going to get Jelly bean ? How about those iPhone 3g owners ? Do you think the iPhone 4 is going to get the complete OS upgrade?

AT LEAST MS is giving you somethig here. Windows Phone 7 is over 2 years old now. If you were one to pick up a NEW WP7 device on RELEASE (GSM owners only). Your 2 year contract would be up by the time WP8 hits.

WP8 is a generation change with that it offers new hardware that current devices cant do. Nothing changes or stops working because WP8 comes out.

Only people who I can see SHOULD have an issue with this is 2nd gen devices who are out 35-60 days.

Get over it and move on...it's just a phone

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
"Windows Phone 8 introduces new API to enable apps to communicate over Bluetooth. Using this API, an app can connect to another app, or to a device. These core scenarios open up a wide range of possibilities that you can use to make your app more connected."

Do you think this means that, unless it's one of the new features, an app can be made for bluetooth file transfer to another device? Sounds like it to me :)

raven2751

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
what did u mean by the above two lines?

for phone number part, if u ported the numbers with the sim card and had the same name it will attempt to link it with the online accounts, i think thats probably what happend (thats what happened when i did mine any ways)

there was nothing stored on either the sim or phone cause it was a new contract and nothing was carried over from the previous account, it seems a bit weird that info it should not have had access to, just appeared, i think i'll have to talk to MS about the live account and make sure they delete any info i think they should not have.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Could some clever devious hacker person exploit the NFC wallet feature of your phone though? Somehow have a device on themselves, bump into you "accidentally" and "download" your cash?
Like any other pairing you'd need to set up authorized devices unless you are careless enough to simply leave it to open connections.

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Why should you expect more ? Is all those Android 2.3 users who got their phone 6 months ago getting ANYTHING ? How about the Android 3.0(or some 4.0 users) users, are they ALL going to get Jelly bean ? How about those iPhone 3g owners ? Do you think the iPhone 4 is going to get the complete OS upgrade?

AT LEAST MS is giving you somethig here. Windows Phone 7 is over 2 years old now. If you were one to pick up a NEW WP7 device on RELEASE (GSM owners only). Your 2 year contract would be up by the time WP8 hits.

WP8 is a generation change with that it offers new hardware that current devices cant do. Nothing changes or stops working because WP8 comes out.

Only people who I can see SHOULD have an issue with this is 2nd gen devices who are out 35-60 days.

Get over it and move on...it's just a phone

I was just trying to stunt this guys enthusiasm that Microsoft was going to bring everything non hardware related to 7.8. I could care less about what is coming or not coming to my device. It makes calls which is good enough for now. My options will be open come October though.

You really bought into their salesmanship though. A generation change? My laptop must have had numerous generation changes between NT kernel and numerous Linux kernels. Microsoft didn't want to spend the resources not because it is some generational change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes