Question for people torn between HTC and Nokia

marantaz

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, probably, just to do comparison shopping, and the price is probably lower on the HTC... and I'm biased cuz I have a Trophy and HTC has quality I know from use. But then, I'm not a iphonatic who has to have the latest version of the same phone the day after it's announced...

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm leaning more toward the 920 and I most likely wouldn't wait for the release of the 8X due to Nokia's track record with WP7 and how quickly they issued updates for their products.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm leaning towards a 920, but I likely won't buy until I can actually hold a 920, an 8X and an Ativ.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning on getting the 8x, but if the 920 was released for my carrier at a comparable price, and the advertised features actually work as advertised, I'd probably get the 920 instead.

HTC is enjoying the lead that being the "first mover" provides. The 8X is a great phone, but they'll eat up a lot of the early demand because so many of us have been waiting for some product -- any product -- to ship on our carrier with decent specs.

The def star

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
It's funny because before HTC officially announced the 8X I was 100% sure I was going to get the 920. Now that we know what the 8X looks like i'm only 80% sure I will get a 920 :^P HTC did a great job on the 8X. The looks alone would get me to buy it but since I have a 900 and I'm more about new tech that's where Nokia has me. The Pureview camera, SSC, Wireless charging and not to mention all their great accessories (gonna snatch me up one of those JBL speakers). If the 920 wasn't offered on AT&T then it's a no brainer the 8X would get my purchase. But I'm glad Nokia put out their A game because so far my heart is still set on the 920 :D

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm leaning more toward the 920 and I most likely wouldn't wait for the release of the 8X due to Nokia's track record with WP7 and how quickly they issued updates for their products.

Yep, Nokia is the only maker that gave us handsets a few months before legacy status. That was a really great deal for the community. Lol. After that fiasco I fail to see how Nokia has done "so much more" to help windows phone. The truth is without wp7/8 Nokia would be dead. Now HTC is in the same boat so I expect them to turn up the support as well.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Yep, Nokia is the only maker that gave us handsets a few months before legacy status. That was a really great deal for the community. Lol. After that fiasco I fail to see how Nokia has done "so much more" to help windows phone. The truth is without wp7/8 Nokia would be dead. Now HTC is in the same boat so I expect them to turn up the support as well.

Could you imagine if Nokia had gone another 7+ months without releasing a product to market? Without any cash flow coming in for that long where would they be now? Yeah, it sucks for some people but it's not like it's the first time this has happened. What about those poor Motorola Droid Bionic users? How quickly did the Droid RAZR come out and obliterate the Bionic in every way? As far as I know, the Bionic still hasn't been updated to Ice Cream Sandwich whereas the RAZR has plus it'll most likely get Jelly Bean. Your argument doesn't hold water because it's not like HTC's or Samsung's WP7 phones will magically run WP8 and the HTC Titan II came out on the same day as the Lumia 900.

Last edited:

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

If Nokia was not supporting Windows Phone it'd be struggling a lot more. Microsoft IS paying Nokia a lot of money to support Windows phone, but Nokia has lost a LOT more than Microsoft has paid.

paulishuku

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
We should start a pro's con's list for each phone.. Ill start one and maybe you guys can contribute.

Samsung ATIV:
Largest Screen

Cons: One color.

Lumia 920:
Wireless Charging
Super Sensitive Touch Screen
Nokia Exclusive Apps
Bluetooth 4.0
Middle of the road screen
Insanely Durable
Hardware Image Stabilization
Pureview Technology
Puremotion PPI

Cons: Might be AT&T Exclusive
Heavier than others, and thicker

HTC 8X:
Super light
Super Thin
Beautiful design, although mimics Nokia's
Available to most major carriers
Pricing is competitive
4.3" Screen

Cons:
None that I can think of.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
In my mind, the Ativ is a non starter. I think 4.5" is nearly too big. I returned a Titan because I hated using a screen that large. Its one "advantage" is its screen size, which I don't like.

The HTC may be the phone for me. I would much rather have a smaller screen with higher ppi than a larger one. Plus I like the 4.3" size, only 4.0" would be better IMO. It has a f 2.0 camera, same as the Lumia, BSI same as the Lumia, MP count close enough as to not make a difference, dedicated image processor that the Lumia lacks, and lacks the OIS that the Lumia has. It has a great design, I think it looks better than the Lumia. Built in audio amp, and will likely come packaged with Beats earbuds. It also has a superior front cam to the Lumia.

The Lumia has Dolby audio, which has left me unimpressed on other phones. It has the OIS, which could be amazing, but could be over hyped too, we just don't know since Nokia didn't use actual lumia shot samples. The super sensitive screen is neat. i can see how in very cold cliamets or to people with long nails it could be appealing, but it just doesn't do much for me. It's biggest advantages to me are its clear black filter (which I love on my 900) and the nokia apps. But since Nokia maps will be replacing Bing maps in WP8, that advantage is lessened. If MS implements a decent turn by turn nav option in the OS, I won't really care about Nokia apps any more.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I am still leaning towards the 920, but I will decide after I play with them in the store. Both are very nice phones and I think I could be happy with either.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
We should start a pro's con's list for each phone.. Ill start one and maybe you guys can contribute.

Samsung ATIV:
Largest Screen

Cons: One color.

Lumia 920:
Wireless Charging
Super Sensitive Touch Screen
Nokia Exclusive Apps
Bluetooth 4.0
Middle of the road screen
Insanely Durable
Hardware Image Stabilization
Pureview Technology
Puremotion PPI

Cons: Might be AT&T Exclusive
Heavier than others, and thicker

HTC 8X:
Super light
Super Thin
Beautiful design, although mimics Nokia's
Available to most major carriers
Pricing is competitive
4.3" Screen

Cons:
None that I can think of.

Lumia 920 con: No expandable SD

HTC 8X Pro: wide angle front facing camera, different color choices
HTC 8X Con: 16gbs of memory, no expandable storage, no wireless charging, no Nokia apps, no supersensitive touch screen, no Optical Image Stab (even tho HTC has great cams anyways)

Anyways, you could play this game forever, list the specs side by side and pick what suits you. For me, since I'm not a wuss, I can handle the 185g weight of the Lumia. My 900 feels perfectly fine, doesn't feel chintzy. Can't say that about most phones. The SG3 feels so chintz to me.

I'm totally okay with the fact you could club someone to death with the weight of the phone, but the difference in the weight of this and the lumia 900 is 0.06 lbs.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
A Con of 8X could be its lower battery life.

And seriously...I think HTC placing its power button on the top gets a straight no for me. I love how the Nokia Lumia has its buttons placed in a way that will allow me to reach for the buttons easily.

Of course, how Nokia will position the L920's pricing relative to the 8X and the ATIV will no doubt sway the budget-conscious. Although I think Nokia should get aggressive and go straight towards the same pricing as the 8X and the ATIV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon