Exchange Mail done right?

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have the Surface RT and the Exchange Mail on it is perfect. Changes sync back to the server immediately, the way they're supposed to, including deleted, marked as read, etc.

This was abysmal on Windows Phone 7. It was a gimped version of Exchange, receiving mail immediately, but taking up to 15 minutes to sync changes back.

Do we have any idea if the mail client in Windows Phone 8 will work the same way as the one on the Surface? Given that they are based on the same kernel, I would hope it would be. I'd love to give Windows Phone another try, but I can't deal with gimped exchange mail.

ramrandhawa

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the Surface RT and the Exchange Mail on it is perfect. Changes sync back to the server immediately, the way they're supposed to, including deleted, marked as read, etc.

This was abysmal on Windows Phone 7. It was a gimped version of Exchange, receiving mail immediately, but taking up to 15 minutes to sync changes back.

Do we have any idea if the mail client in Windows Phone 8 will work the same way as the one on the Surface? Given that they are based on the same kernel, I would hope it would be. I'd love to give Windows Phone another try, but I can't deal with gimped exchange mail.
No, but I think this is by design to save battery life -- whenever I've done a bunch of mail browsing / sorting to folders, I just hit the sync button at the bottom and everything is synced immediately.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
No, but I think this is by design to save battery life -- whenever I've done a bunch of mail browsing / sorting to folders, I just hit the sync button at the bottom and everything is synced immediately.

Funny. The iPhone syncs changes back immediately and battery life is fine. The same goes for the GS III.

ramrandhawa

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
@gravage: Huh . . . got me then, no idea why you have to press the sync button to make it sync right away . . . trying it just now, marking some messages as read and then not manually pressing the sync button, it took five minutes to sync to Exchange (changed at 11:07pm, synced at 11:12pm).

@SnailUK: no, the syncing option allows you to set when to download new content; it seems to me that if it is set to download "as items arrive", it takes five minutes to sync changes you make on the phone back up to the server, unless you press the sync button

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Isn't there an option for syncing, which tells the phone when to do it?

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Nope. Not on Windows Phone 7. You can set intervals, but it has no effect on when changes are synced back to the server. Push is broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
@gravage: Huh . . . got me then, no idea why you have to press the sync button to make it sync right away . . . trying it just now, marking some messages as read and then not manually pressing the sync button, it took five minutes to sync to Exchange (changed at 11:07pm, synced at 11:12pm).

@SnailUK: no, the syncing option allows you to set when to download new content; it seems to me that if it is set to download "as items arrive", it takes five minutes to sync changes you make on the phone back up to the server, unless you press the sync button

5 minutes is fast. I have seen it take 15 minutes. I think it's based on when you receive new mail. Regardless, it should be instant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon