Duplicate songs when on SD card

skshandilya

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I don't have any duplicate songs at all. I copy the songs to my 720 SD card directly using windows explorer, I have even done that using linux. Yes, I have copied the files using folders. I have another problem where I miss some songs, especially the first track of every folder. and in some cases the second CD of an album. This is definetly a Windows Phone problem, M$ wake up...

Jtress

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I had this happen yesterday. I had about 1400 MP3s on my SD card. when I had formatted my card from the phone and then replaced the MP3s back onto the card, connected to my PC with a USB cable, all of the entries were duplicated. So, I did as someone instructed above and removed the SD card, connected the phone to the PC and deleted everything out of the music folders on the phone. Then put the SD card back in. After the folder rescanned, I was back to normal with only 1 entry per song.
Kind of an odd bug and could see where this could be a problem for anyone who keeps re-syncing their library from their PC. Hopefully MS gets this bug worked out soon.
I don't stream music, so I do not use the Xbox music service and have all the sync settings off. If I do stream anything, it is usually from my library on my Synology Dikstation using the DS Ausio app. I guess for now, if I need to add any music to my phone, I will just pull the SD card from the phone and add files directly from my PC to the SD card. But, with 1400+ songs on my phone, it will be a while before I am bored with what I have on there.

shuffleboy

May 31, 2013
Visit site
hi all. this was a nightmare on my lumia 620. doubles and triples. files not playing. errors etc but i finally cracked it. this worked for me and i tested it on 2 sd cards.

it is impossible to sync with media player or win ph app.(for me anyway). sort it out microsoft.

firstly ensure no music/movies are stored on the phones memory like post above. turn off xbox music (though i dont believe this makes a difference)

format sd whilst in phone,using menu in the settings.
press ok when prompted "sd card found"
press "remove sd card"

remove sd card from phone, ( i didn't even turn the phone off)
put into adapter and insert into pc
drag and drop music (folders and all) into the music folder that the phone has placed on the sd.
drag and drop videos (files only,not in folders) to the video folder

when its done, choose to safely remove hardware.

insert back into phone (my phone was still on),and press yes when it says sd card detected.

i went to storage in settings>sd card, and all data was stored as "other"

go to music and videos tile, have a look,it should say "its lonely in here"

press back to get out, and wait 20 seconds
go back to storage in settings>sd card, and all you files should now be in "music and videos"
go back into music tile and it should be all there, NO DUPLICATES

KubsOne

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so here I have similiar problem.
I have HTC S8, and I'm using 32GB sd card, but I was using 2GB card and problem was the same. And this is so annoying, i have 4, sometimes 5 duplicates of one song, even when I add a cover, or change name of album in tags it just duplicate. What more, when I delete album from card, and after few days, or weeks I put it back, in my phone it duplicate too. I really like to have order in music, and this is so annoying.
I was searching for solution, but every soultion tells me about some xbox music stream and turning it off, and I don't have xbox music on htc s8. Yes, I have xbox in games part, but in music - I don't.
So, is there anyone, who can help me with that? I can't reset my sd card every time I want to add some music.
Thanks for any advice

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
...go back into music tile and it should be all there, NO DUPLICATES

Thanks for trying, but this method (and variations of it) have been detailed before in this and other threads on the subject. I have no problem GETTING a duplicate free database, the issue is KEEPING it duplicate free if I subsequently want to add more songs. Sometimes it's OK, other times this 're-syncing' or file adding will trigger the appearance of duplicates again, meaning I have to go through whole delete/format/recopy rigmarole again - and that's painful with 20GB of music.

Kit Brady

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I just did this and it actually made the problem worse. Whereas before only certain albums had duplicates (in some case many per song), now all albums have two of each song. I turned off the cloud sync option as others suggested. I find it amazing that something as simple as music syncing can be so difficult in WP. I really want to like this OS but the music functionality is maddening. Lumia 822 on Verizon.

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I no longer suffer from the duplicate song issue, nor having the songs only show up under "songs" and not show any artists. For me, it was as simple as dragging and dropping through explorer, with the phone connected through usb. I can't use any software, like the metro app, the desktop app, or windows media player, otherwise I get similar errors as before. It's really not an ideal solution, but it works for the time being. I hope they fix this so I can actually have a decent music syncing software. I loved zune, i could sync an artist so anytime I added a new album to my collection by that artist, it would automatically sync when I plugged in my zune hd, it was great! I hope in 8.1 they fix xbox music and the syncing app, or just make them one. It seems really half baked that I have to go to a seperate program to sync music/videos, not to mention the desktop and metro app are glorified explorers, and take forever to use

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
continuing my rant/zune love affair:
The only reason I was drawn to windows phone in the first place was the fact that it was integrated with the Zune software, which I loved so much. And then in WP8 they pretty much took away the main thing that I liked about windows phone. Am i the only one who was completely in love with the Zune software? I think the interface is/was better than anything on the market. I loved having all my album art right in the middle, and having it organized by date added, so when it came time to syncing my Zune HD, it reminded me of what I have recently downloaded, which I loved. Hell, the kin was a better music player than my 822, at least it was smooth and synced with my favorite software. Now something as simple as shuffling songs from the home screen on the music app freezes my phone for a good 15 seconds, and doesn't play the audio for at least 10.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Mcherick6, You are not the only one. The ZUNE PC media player software, I think, it is the absolute best. I use it almost everyday.

MS "broke" something that worked. I keep hoping we'll get the great and wonderful ZUNE "functionality" back...

kamikaze80

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
zune is maybe the most beautifully designed piece of software I've ever used. functional, too. even the logo is clever.

annoys me to no end that WP8 was released without an update to zune to make it WP8 compatible. MS needs to get off their *** and get this done. how long could it take given their resources?

Amran Nagal

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
zune is maybe the most beautifully designed piece of software I've ever used. functional, too. even the logo is clever.

annoys me to no end that WP8 was released without an update to zune to make it WP8 compatible. MS needs to get off their *** and get this done. how long could it take given their resources?

are you high? Zune is the most f****d up **** I have ever used!

apex2000

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
The only method that I have used so far that works is to:
1. Format the card
2. Click the remove card option, then turn phone off, then remove the case, and then take out the SD card
3. Put the SD card in the computer and either sync with a program or drag the music files over into the music folder that was created after the format
4. Put card back in phone...no duplicates

Eventually this is supposed to be fixed...can't wait for the next OS upgrade to see if they got it corrected.

This worked for me - thanks. This is a MAJOR frustration though. Hope M$ fix this in GDR2.

hillmanimpster

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have any more info about a GDR2 update for the TERRIBLE problems affecting the handling of music files, duplication of tracks, and the apparently RANDOM but regular occurances where all album information and playlists are lost.

This is ruining a perfectly good phone, and am beginning to wish I'd stuck to Android.

Sansana

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
// rant
I struggled with doubled songs and it was driving me crazy! The old Nokia 5510 seemed like the most amazing device one could create comparing to this Windows Phone abomination when it comes to music playing. I've tried many solutions posted either here or other places but none worked for me as I don't have access to any device which could allow me to connect the micro sd card to computer apart from my 620. So I tried something different and it worked perfectly!
//end of rant

1. Format the SD card using your phone
2. Connect your phone to a Windows 8 device
3. Drag and drop your songs using Explorer (you can keep your folder structure)
4. No double or triple songs on your device!

Rahul Poddar

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok, post the syncing fiasco, I tried the drag and drop technique. Just created folders on the SD card under Music and started dropping my songs there. While this was happening, I suddenly got a message from the phone saying that I am low on Phone memory (while I was dropping songs on SD Card). To my dismay I realised that the phone memory under Music had started to create temps or duplicates of the songs I was copying hence filling the 8GB internal memory I had in my Lumia 720. To add to this, once I started deleting these entries from the Music folder in phone (through the view hidden files option), I realised the songs on my SD card also got cleaned up.

I am not sure what happened, but can anyone tell me if there is a better way of not seeing a min of 3 entries per song?

Martin Y

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, there's a better way. Don't give your phone any opportunity to mess things up by trying to do anything helpful while you copy music to your SD card. Remove the card from the phone, plug it into your PC with a card reader or adapter, format it (as FAT32) on your PC, create a folder called "Music" on the card and drag your music into it. Before you put it back in the phone, make sure the Music+Video app's setting "Connect to Xbox music" is turned off.

Worked for me. Fingers crossed for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon